Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

To be honest, I don't think this appointment will really change much at all.

The budget limitation will remain the same, the type of players we try and sign through our committee will remain the same, he certainly isn't going to help improve things on the pitch, so.... you know... I see very little reason to get excited or dismayed by this. It's all a bit ... meh... 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Bet he's picking up a nice salary too.

Makes you wonder what's happening dunnit?

Chairmen generally don't earn as much as the CEO, sitting on a board is basically where ex-CEO's go to retire.... sit on a few boards, pick up £20-30k for each and turn up to a few shareholder meetings every year.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whether he will or not is a whole other question. But none of us have the foggiest idea of whether he can or can't do it, so I find all the pant wetting quite hilarious to be honest.

It's true that don't know if he can or not. That does not make me any less concerned by his background and his opening statement:

Mr Hollis said: "When Randy approached me last November, chairing one of the UK's best known football clubs was not, quite frankly, on my list of possible opportunities."

I read: "I have never had anything to do with sporting administration so was surprised to get a call." But it gets better:

Our future success however lies in building a winning culture that is underpinned by a commitment to continuous improvement both on and off the pitch. The business of football is no different to any other business in this respect.

I think I just completed my business-corporate speak bingo in this quote alone. "Future Success". "Winning Culture". "Commitment to continuous improvement". May as well thrown in "moving forward", "enterprise solution" and "synergized vision".

I'd like to throw away the second sentence in that quote... but it bothers me....

We have the talent and great assets at Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath. The Club needs a shake up and with Randy's continued support the Board will look forward to working with Tom and Rémi to help drive the changes that our fans rightfully demand and that our city can be proud of."

...and I think this is why as it is his next sentence.

A "shake up" (in business-corporate speak) usually means downsizing and a raft of retrenchments. It never means more investment.

Trying to build a "winning culture" and "continually improve" with cheaper and (usually) sub-standard players doesn't work.

So... pant wetter? Call me what you like, Mr Happy-go-lucky, but I have no confidence in Lerner's ability to appoint anyone anymore and I'm not at all enthused with this one.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Having read this thread I'm convinced Lerner could have appointed literally anyone and the reactions would have been the same.

Of course. Because it doesn't matter who he hired. Realistically what impact can they have at this club while Lerner is the owner? 

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's true that don't know if he can or not. That does not make me any less concerned by his background and his opening statement:

I read: "I have never had anything to do with sporting administration so was surprised to get a call." But it gets better:

I think I just completed my business-corporate speak bingo in this quote alone. "Future Success". "Winning Culture". "Commitment to continuous improvement". May as well thrown in "moving forward", "enterprise solution" and "synergized vision".

I'd like to throw away the second sentence in that quote... but it bothers me....

...and I think this is why as it is his next sentence.

A "shake up" (in business-corporate speak) usually means downsizing and a raft of retrenchments. It never means more investment.

Trying to build a "winning culture" and "continually improve" with cheaper and (usually) sub-standard players doesn't work.

So... pant wetter? Call me what you like, Mr Happy-go-lucky, but I have no confidence in Lerner's ability to appoint anyone anymore and I'm not at all enthused with this one.

Why are you concerned by his lack of background in sports? I posted earlier in the thread proving that the vast majority of premier league chairmen have no experience in football, and most of them in sports.

Your worry seems to be based on your interpretation of "shakeup", which you've stated as fact but is anything but.

I'm not happy go lucky about this. I'm totally undecided. I have never heard of him and I have little idea of what being a chairman involves so I can't possibly conclude how good or bad he will be at his job.

He might be the best chairman we've ever had. he might be the worst. I have no idea.

The difference is I'm not jumping to conclusions based on a statement and deciding he's going to be crap. I'm going to wait and see what happens.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course. Because it doesn't matter who he hired. Realistically what impact can they have at this club while Lerner is the owner? 

I've got no idea.

Nor do you. Or any of us.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I've got no idea.

Nor do you. Or any of us.

I think the last five years give us a good indication. Has anyone we've hired on the football side or behind the scenes been able to have an impact? 

It's not a blind guess.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think the last five years give us a good indication. Has anyone we've hired on the football side or behind the scenes been able to have an impact? 

It's not a blind guess.

They've all had impact.

Just not the impact that we wanted :D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's not a blind guess.

Not the impact we'd have liked.

Doesn't change my point.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not the impact we'd have liked.

Doesn't change my point.

It doesn't. I agreed with your point, I'm just not sure why it surprises you. Lerner could have hired anyone and it would get the same reaction . It's no surprise these appointments get these responses, because like I said, there's been nothing to suggest that these appointments can help the club. No manager, player, CEO, head of recruitment, statistical analyst or any other position we've created or hired for, has done anything but see this club get worse and worse in nearly all aspects of professional football and business. 

3 hours ago, Eames said:

EDIT - this football experience thing is the biggest load of crap going. Its a meaningless platitude dropped by knobheads in the media and ex-players to maintain some sort of bizarre exclusivity to a game that has become more and more commercial over the last few years. 

Gabby has masses of "football experience" and I wouldn't trust him to leave the house fully dressed let alone run a football club. 

As hes already drawing a salary Gabby would be cheaper though.........

Â