Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are you concerned by his lack of background in sports? I posted earlier in the thread proving that the vast majority of premier league chairmen have no experience in football, and most of them in sports.

Your worry seems to be based on your interpretation of "shakeup", which you've stated as fact but is anything but.

I'm not happy go lucky about this. I'm totally undecided. I have never heard of him and I have little idea of what being a chairman involves so I can't possibly conclude how good or bad he will be at his job.

He might be the best chairman we've ever had. he might be the worst. I have no idea.

The difference is I'm not jumping to conclusions based on a statement and deciding he's going to be crap. I'm going to wait and see what happens.

That's not the difference.

You infer that I have made that decision. I haven't. In fact, I agreed that we don't know.

But I remain concerned and explained my reasons for it - a perfectly valid point of view as is yours (albeit opposed).

So I re-iterate: this appointment does NOT enthuse me based on his background, his opening statement and Lerner's track record. I hope he turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread - but I have a stronger basis for worry than hope at the moment.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Doesn't the fact that lerner has, with this appointment, I assume pretty much washed his hands of any decision making in how the club is run bode well then?

To an extent I guess. But ultimately the direction of the club is still set by him. I don't think our aims will change until he's gone, we'll always be looking to get by without spending much money until sold. The best people in the world will still be restricted by that. Hollis may be an excellent chairman but I can't see how it can make a huge difference to the football club while Lerner still owns it. 

So Randy Lerner is no longer the Chairman but he still is really.. 

Steven Hollis is the face of the operation now sure, the face that Villa haven't really had since Lerner took over but that's all that has changed here.

I mean if Garde wants to buy a £25 million player he still has to go to Fox, Fox will go to Hollis and Hollis will have to go to the one with the money Randy **** Lerner.

So yeah we got rid of Lerner as Chairman, but he still holds about as much power over this clubs success as he did yesterday as without money in transfer windows we're done.

I hope I am completely wrong and maybe the financial side was passed on somehow, but if Hollis still has to interact with Lerner then nothing is different.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daweii said:

So Randy Lerner is no longer the Chairman but he still is really.. 

Steven Hollis is the face of the operation now sure, the face that Villa haven't really had since Lerner took over but that's all that has changed here.

I mean if Garde wants to buy a £25 million player he still has to go to Fox, Fox will go to Hollis and Hollis will have to go to the one with the money Randy **** Lerner.

So yeah we got rid of Lerner as Chairman, but he still holds about as much power over this clubs success as he did yesterday as without money in transfer windows we're done.

I hope I am completely wrong and maybe the financial side was passed on somehow, but if Hollis still has to interact with Lerner then nothing is different.

That is true if you think the only thing that the owner/chairman/board do is provide money.

I think something we can all agree on is that Randy Lerner has been a useless Chairman. As an owner he has spent, or as its turned out wasted, an absolute fortune. Perhaps if he'd have been a bit more business savvy or had employed somebody as Chairman who was when he purchased the club almost ten years ago then we'd have been in a much better position now.

I'm hopeful that as a Chairman Hollis will be a upgrade on Randy if for no other reason than it would be impossible to be any worse.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That is true if you think the only thing that the owner/chairman/board do is provide money.

I know a chairman does a lot more I was just looking at the ramifications of such a set up with regards to transfers, something we are in desperate need of. 

9 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I know a chairman does a lot more I was just looking at the ramifications of such a set up with regards to transfers, something we are in desperate need of. 

Then I imagine in terms of how much money is available then no, it won't change much.

But, we spend enough to not be relegated. i think somebody posted stats that said our wage bill is the 10th highest in the league.

So we shouldn't be relegated.

Which indicates it's more than money that is (or has been) the problem.

Lerner's downfall has also been the hiring of managers and CEO's. Fox may prove to be a success but so far he isn't. 

Is Hollis going to change that? Does he have the authority to get rid of Tom Fox or Remi Garde? Are we to trust a man who has never had a job in football to make better decisions than Lerner when it comes to this? 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Then I imagine in terms of how much money is available then no, it won't change much.

But, we spend enough to not be relegated. i think somebody posted stats that said our wage bill is the 10th highest in the league.

So we shouldn't be relegated.

Which indicates it's more than money that is (or has been) the problem.

Yeah I admit I do focus on the money side too much, but like you said given how much we spend we shouldn't be in this mess.

I always like to think of transfer windows as that quick fix no matter how many times this great club seems to mess them up, but you're right the issue likely runs far deeper than purely money.

If the best offer he has is AVFC and working for Randy Lerner, he has either been hired way out of his current league and salary or he is complete shit.

I will bet anything up to £3.72 he won't be here in the summer.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Lerner's downfall has also been the hiring of managers and CEO's. Fox may prove to be a success but so far he isn't. 

Is Hollis going to change that? Does he have the authority to get rid of Tom Fox or Remi Garde? Are we to trust a man who has never had a job in football to make better decisions than Lerner when it comes to this? 

The role of the Chairman is hiring and firing the CEO so I'd hazard a guess at yes.

AND CAN WE ALL DROP THIS "FOOTBALL EXPERIENCE BULLSHIT."

It's really not relevant.

• Like 1

That is the point of a Chairman.

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Are we to trust a man who has never had a job in football to make better decisions than Lerner when it comes to this? 

If we can't then 17 other Premier League clubs can't trust their chairmen.

• Like 4

Â