Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

'I like to see myself – even though it is a little awkward to say – as a steel fist, under a very generous velvet glove'

Actually I take it back. That's my favourite quote. I wish I could see myself as a steel fist under a very generous velvet glove!

A little awkward to say? **** hell.

I already think this guy is a massive prick. Can you imagine if Sherwood were still here? What a dream team they'd be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For all of those shitting their pants about no previous footballing experience, I've compiled a list of current premier league chairmen and whether they had previous experience in football

So of the 19 other chairmen in the league, only Levy and Gold/Sullivan have football experience prior to their current role.

I really think people are worrying themselves over nothing.

How about we wait and see what happens before moaning about it?

(That was done from a quick google so happy to be put right on any of those)

Not to piss on your parade, but of those Chairman you mention, who else in the club is senior and has the infamous "football experience"?

... cause we ain't got much - which is why this appointment is a little concerning.

He might be great at his job, time will tell, but what sort of nob compares himself to a character in a movie, and then as a 'steel fist in a velvet glove' in their first interview giving supporters a glimpse at their personality? First impressions count, you'd think someone in his position would realise that.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

With Gabby in mind, this sentence gives me hope:

“Too many people think fulfillment is having matching Ferraris, so they can drive separately to the same restaurant, simply to display their wealth. There needs to be more humility, and people need to realise that they aren’t achieving anything by acting in that manner.”

• Like 2

Just now, ozvillafan said:

Not to piss on your parade, but of those Chairman you mention, who else in the club is senior and has the infamous "football experience"?

... cause we ain't got much - which is why this appointment is a little concerning.

I've got neither the time or inclination to check. After doing the chairmen bit.
it's not particularly relevant, as we do have "football experience" in senior positions (Tom Fox has it, remember?) but apparently he's the devil incarnate.

So that just further shows it's not very important.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Just because he has KPMG on his back ground I wouldn't read too much into that and linking it with him looking at "the accounts" if I were you

He also sold Milking Machines out of a white van!  Hooraaah

41 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Although he admits it was a surprise to be approached by Lerner as ‘chairing one of the UK’s best known football clubs was not, quite frankly, on his list of possible opportunities,’ he is excited and fully-focused on taking the club forward.

AKA; is hideously under qualified for the job and is baffled why he was contacted about it.

Joking (sort of) as I have no idea what amounts to good experience when running a football club these days. But given our track record of recruitment in non-playing (and playing, obv) staff under Lerner, one has to assume Hollis will ultimately preside over the dissolution of the club.

Also can't help but feel the whole 'he knows Birmingham inside out' spiel in Lerner's statement is a load of bollocks. It doesn't really matter if he knows the city, does it? Probably just a cover as to why we didn't get someone who's been exposed to larger and more significant businesses from London KPMG etc

1 minute ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Also can't help but feel the whole 'he knows Birmingham inside out' spiel in Lerner's statement is a load of bollocks. It doesn't really matter if he knows the city, does it? Probably just a cover as to why we didn't get someone who's been exposed to larger and more significant businesses from London KPMG etc

Well, he's overqualified to be a taxi driver, that's for sure.

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

I am not so worried about lack of football experience .

If it was this appointment in isolation I would agree.  But when the entire board, for want of a better term, are unqualified for their roles then I do start to wonder.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If there was ever a comment that summed up VillaTalk, it's this.

The new chairman being written off as a massive prick, minutes after being announced.

Well his statement didnt help in my eyes.  No need to kiss behinds like that...  Provided financial backing last year?  Really all 3-4 mill of it net... way to go

'As we have witnessed in the Premier League this year with other clubs - money no longer buys success. Randy has consistently provided financial backing no less so than last year.'

2 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

"Mr Hollis has much enjoyed his career, and a CV awash with high-profile roles for KPMG in the Middle East, the Far East, the USA and Europe"

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If there was ever a comment that summed up VillaTalk, it's this.

The new chairman being written off as a massive prick, minutes after being announced.

Mind you - if he's any good someone will poach him off us.  Hope we've got a clause in place in his contract.

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

So we've hired a chairman.  Yay.

But it looks like he has zero experience for his role.  That's the full set off the pitch then.

It's at times like this I turn to Emma Stone.

2nYmZiR.gif

I think we should turn to Emma Stone much more frequently than we currently do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Steve Stride is a footballing man who would have been a better choice an knows Villa inside out.

Other examples could be Big Ron, Graham Taylor or someone that Villa means something too.

The last couple of appointments: Fox, Reilly, Almstead, Faulkner.

not one of them has had anything to do with football or really understands it and each one hasn't been good at all for the club.

That's why we need a footballing Chairman (i.e. Stride)

What does Steve Stride know about running a business with a turnover of £100M ?

Football is business to all but the fans. It's very clear Randy wants to dispose of the club, and it's very clear there are no takers. This appointment is intended to get the club into a position where Randy can realise his dream. That may or may not involve us as fans realising our dreams, but i would expect for Randy the primary concern is disposing of the club without having to take even more of a hit in the pocket.

• Like 2

Â