Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I'm nervous about this one. I was okay before we went and won one, I'd settled into understanding it meant nothing at all and there was no point doing anything but watching with a detached eye. Now we've won one, the nerves are back - it's a strange and magical game football.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Same as last time for me.

----------------------Bunn------------------------

Bacuna------Okore------Lescott-----Cissokho

--------Gana-----Westwood--Veretout---------

-----------------------Gil-------------------------

--------------Kozak-------Ayew-----------------

It'll be interesting to see if we change it to shoehorn Richards back in - if we do, then either Okore or Bacuna will need to miss out.

Putting Richards in for Okore would be dreadful management. Okore and Lescott have been our best CB pairing this season. Richards could maybe start at RB but for me we should keep the same team.

Changing the team even if the changed team won tonight would likely be detrimental to player confidence. I firmly believe that injuries permitting you stick with the winning team until they lose or draw. 

2 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

Polite yet largely indifferent applause, exactly the same as he deserved for 90% of his Villa career.

He is one of us. A Villa fan and player who did not leave through choice but because the club chose not to renew his contract. He well deserves our applause for me and might even be tempted to put one in at a corner for us. ;)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Changing the team even if the changed team won tonight would likely be detrimental to player confidence. I firmly believe that injuries permitting you stick with the winning team until they lose or draw. 

That might've worked a few decades ago but these days you have to be more tactically aware.That said, in this instance I agree that injuries permitting we should play the same team.

41 minutes ago, John said:

He is one of us. A Villa fan and player who did not leave through choice but because the club chose not to renew his contract. He well deserves our applause for me and might even be tempted to put one in at a corner for us. ;)

He left for more money.

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

He left for more money.

Rory Smith writes in "The Times" today quoting Marc as follows, "All through the second half of the season, I had been having meetings with Paul Lambert. He was telling me not to worry, to concentrate on my football and let my contract take care of itself. When the season finished he was flying to New York to see Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner. He said my situation would be discussed. Two days later, he flew home. My agent got a call and said there would not be an offer. He passed the message on to me. There was no explanation. It was just, your deal has run out, good luck with what you do next."          

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

Rory Smith writes in "The Times" today quoting Marc as follows, "All through the second half of the season, I had been having meetings with Paul Lambert. He was telling me not to worry, to concentrate on my football and let my contract take care of itself. When the season finished he was flying to New York to see Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner. He said my situation would be discussed. Two days later, he flew home. My agent got a call and said there would not be an offer. He passed the message on to me. There was no explanation. It was just, your deal has run out, good luck with what you do next."          

Well then he definitely left for more money.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

....so after today we have a new line up

;-)

1-0 to Villa. Top vs Bottom shocker, we will out play them with a new vigour and self belief. Goal coming from Corner.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

That might've worked a few decades ago but these days you have to be more tactically aware.That said, in this instance I agree that injuries permitting we should play the same team.

Or when you only have 4 decent players?

1 hour ago, John said:

As I said at the time, somebody from Leicester told me this pretty much to a tee. Marc wanted to stay, Lambert wanted him to stay, there were no issues between the two. Faulkner decided it wasn't worthwhile and he wasn't offered a deal. I'm still shocked by it to be honest, pretty crap way to treat a player who was getting back into the team AND who the manager wanted to keep. 

PF caused us so many issues it is unreal.

• Like 1

My recollection was that there was an offer on the table of £20k/week from us, and an offer of £35k/week from Leicester, and he went there.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a professional taking a better offer, and I don't think anyone should have, but I do not think that we abandoned him. At the time, he did not appear to be worth that salary. Time has perhaps told us something different, but that is hindsight.

My recollection was that there was an offer on the table of £20k/week from us, and an offer of £35k/week from Leicester, and he went there.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a professional taking a better offer, and I don't think anyone should have, but I do not think that we abandoned him. At the time, he did not appear to be worth that salary. Time has perhaps told us something different, but that is hindsight.

Well your recollection is wrong then according to the player himself. I don't know why he'd feel the need to lie about it.

I read a piece in the s*n today (somebody had left it on the train) with Marc taking about his love for the club, his pain at seeing us suffer as we are. He's Villa through and through that lad, if we'd offered him £20k a week he'd have taken it I'm sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Perhaps we should have offered him a contract earlier? Novel idea.

Anyway, I hope Mahrez and Vardy both get injured in the first 10 minutes, then we'd have half a chance in this one.

Perhaps we should have offered him a contract.