Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

if you are caught with one under age you get the book thrown at you 

That sounds dangerous.  I think they should ban books too just to be safe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

My daughter's school had 2 teenagers (females) turn up on the school grounds at the end of last term - both carrying knives! Thankfully, the police arrived before they could gain entry into the school.

It's really getting out of hand!

Does your daughter have a hit out on her? She gonna get got!

41 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I appreciate the suggestions for laws and certain ages buying knives etc.

Nothing stopping these little swines grabbing one out of their kitchen drawer at home though! So yes, if caught with one, harsh punishments should be handed out.

I think one big issue that no one talks about, kidz are not scared of the police. I remember when i was growing up i was scared of them. No days they have zero to little respect for police

Absolutely correct about nothing stopping them getting them from home but thats where parents should be keeping tabs on their kids 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Nothing stopping these little swines grabbing one out of their kitchen drawer at home though! So yes, if caught with one, harsh punishments should be handed out.

How about advocating for an effective punishment or perhaps a consequence?

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I appreciate the suggestions for laws and certain ages buying knives etc.

It's already illegal.  You can't carry a knife in public.

I don't know how harsh you should go on it either, to be honest.  Some people will undoubtedly carry out of "self defence" - they're being bullied and feel safer knowing they have a weapon on them.  Do we treat them in the same manner as someone actually seeking out to kill someone?  How would you differentiate between the two?  Or do you not and just chuck people in prison irrespective?

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

It's already illegal.  You can't carry a knife in public.

I don't know how harsh you should go on it either, to be honest.  Some people will undoubtedly carry out of "self defence" - they're being bullied and feel safer knowing they have a weapon on them.  Do we treat them in the same manner as someone actually seeking out to kill someone?  How would you differentiate between the two?  Or do you not and just chuck people in prison irrespective?

Thats where we need to get tougher on bullying. The schools have a responsibility to limit it in school and outside school parents have to. I mean you even have apps now where you can track where your kids are now!

Honestly when i was in school (and it was a r ough school)  i dont ever recall there been a knife fight or anyone stabbed. We would usually just kick each others arses then play football together afterwards.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Thats where we need to get tougher on bullying. The schools have a responsibility to limit it in school and outside school parents have to. I mean you even have apps now where you can track where your kids are now!

Honestly when i was in school (and it was a r ough school)  i dont ever recall there been a knife fight or anyone stabbed. We would usually just kick each others arses then play football together afterwards.

I think social media makes this a lot harder than any of us (well, maybe those without teenage kids) realise.  I imagine there'll be majority "invisible" bullying these days and the mental impacts will be huge.

And I don't know on the second bit - it will just depend.  I know @AvfcRigo82 likes to think back of times when kids all had perfect manners and skipped through meadows for fun, but I remember having a knife pulled on me in Shirley Park (hardly the roughest area!) when I was a teenager.  We also had incidents of knives and - for some reason, very memorably - snooker balls in socks being brought into school as weapons.  I don't remember anyone being fatally stabbed (and I think the types of knife used now are much more potentially dangerous), but weapons have always been around and in the hands of dickheads.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think social media makes this a lot harder than any of us (well, maybe those without teenage kids) realise.  I imagine there'll be majority "invisible" bullying these days and the mental impacts will be huge.

And I don't know on the second bit - it will just depend.  I know @AvfcRigo82 likes to think back of times when kids all had perfect manners and skipped through meadows for fun, but I remember having a knife pulled on me in Shirley Park (hardly the roughest area!) when I was a teenager.  We also had incidents of knives and - for some reason, very memorably - snooker balls in socks being brought into school as weapons.  I don't remember anyone being fatally stabbed (and I think the types of knife used now are much more potentially dangerous), but weapons have always been around and in the hands of dickheads.

Completey agree about the social media bullying but that in my experience tends to be trolling bullying not physical violence where you need to carry a knife. As you say that definitely has more of a mental effect. Unfortunately social media isnt going anywhere. If it was down to me id have it long gone but too much money in it.

My school was rough but we had this thing in our school if you could fight you got the respect of your year. I certainlydon't t feel our time in school was as rough as schools are now in terms of violence.

This might sound extreme but if it keeps kids safe maybe have metal detectors/scanning machines in schools. If keeps our kids safe in schools and out of schools might be something to consider 

When I was a teenager (25 odd years ago) one of my classmates was being bullied and brought a knife in. Nothing happened thankfully but it has always been an issue. It's possibly worse now or social media and tinted glasses make it appear to be.

• Like 1

The only way around it is to educate the kids at school, show them the impact knives can make on  people's lives, sadly there's enough examples of deaths. Interview the families of the victims and the murderers and their families to show how everyone's lives are destroyed,  not just the victim

. Sit them through a few of these videos maybe even have a lesson a week to show them a thugs life is one that ends in tears every time.  

It may be cool to be a gangster at 14 years old but at 25 years old it's all a bit sad.

• Like 1

Â