Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

14 hours ago, Genie said:

The girl's parents have been informed

Hang on. A nine year old was in a city centre without any adult supervision? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Hang on. A nine year old was in a city centre without any adult supervision? 

Just now, Genie said:

Could be with other relatives?

And even if they weren't, she's not headed in to the big scary city on her own. It's a market town with a population of 35k.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is what scares me the most about about having kids. All it takes its one word these days and someone will stab you. 

Its crazy how violent these days are becoming and people losing their lives over small things 

But it’s not. The world and the UK is generally less violent over time. but every stabbing now makes the news and so it feels more violent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But it’s not. The world and the UK is generally less violent over time. but every stabbing now makes the news and so it feels more violent.

Cant speak about the rest of the uk but londons really bad

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Cant speak about the rest of the uk but londons really bad

See @ender4's comment. It almost certainly is a lot less bad than it was in - say - Victorian times. It's news media that has changed. 

The murder rate in the UK is very slightly lower now than it was 30 years ago. Slightly higher than it was 120 years ago.

according to Wikipedia, murder rate per 100,000 in England and Wales in 1900 was 0.96

murder rate in England and Wales now is around 1.14

Given variance in reporting and post mortem techniques and police attitudes towards disappearing wives etc., I’d say those figures are not too far apart.

Edited by chrisp65

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nottingham is fantastic

I went a few months ago thought it was safer than london tbh

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The murder rate in the UK is very slightly lower now than it was 30 years ago. Slightly higher than it was 120 years ago.

according to Wikipedia, murder rate per 100,000 in England and Wales in 1900 was 0.96

murder rate in England and Wales now is around 1.14

Given variance in reporting and post mortem techniques and police attitudes towards disappearing wives etc., I’d say those figures are not too far apart.

I think the more worrying aspect nowdays is the age of the murderers. You older guys will know better than me in your day, but would have seen as many stabbings from youths today? As in youth on youth murders?

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I went a few months ago thought it was safer than london tbh

I think the more worrying aspect nowdays is the age of the murderers. You older guys will know better than me in your day, but would have seen as many stabbings from youths today? As in youth on youth murders?

I was talking about this just the other day to my old man, I'm 37 now and when I was 11 my Mom n Dad used to take me to the video shop on a Friday evening, let me rent out a few films (didn't matter what it was, Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, whatever I wanted) and they'd park me in front of the TV surround me with snack and go out on the piss, it was my favourite night of the week, there is no way that you could do that these days, same with kids going out, when I was 13 or 14 it was regular that I'd be out with my mates until gone 10pm, these days I'm pretty sure that you'd want the brats home by 8:30 at the latest

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can't get my head around a 9yo being stabbed to death. It's just beyond comprehension. 

I understand why they haven’t said, but I really want to know the circumstances around this. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I understand why they haven’t said, but I really want to know the circumstances around this. 

I'm only assuming but I would imagine the killer or killers are known to the family. My first thought was Dad/older brother? Perhaps boyfriend of the mother?

I guess it will soon come out but what a tragic tale :(

Just now, Xela said:

I'm only assuming but I would imagine the killer or killers are known to the family. My first thought was Dad/older brother? Perhaps boyfriend of the mother?

I guess it will soon come out but what a tragic tale :(

Yes, that’s my gut feeling. I can’t imagine this poor little thing having any enemies. And there’s no talk of robbery or a like gone wrong.

If I had to bet I’d go with a deranged family member.

The “parents have been informed” is intriguing, was she abducted and then it went very wrong when she was located? 

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nottingham is fantastic

Forgot to mention, I was in Nottingham last week at a Petrol station. Some dodgy Vauxhall Astra parked up, you know the type used for drug running, black, dirty and no wheel trims. Black geezer pulls in on one of them electric motor bikes, black scarf around his face, t shirt, gilet, big lad he was. Has a word with the guy, (this was all while I was filling up) then the guy starts to run, guy gets off his bike pulls out some silverware, which was obviously a blade and chases him into the petrol station and around the back. Guy comes back jumps back on his bike and continues to chase him. I goes inside and a older women on the counter is speaking to a customer what happened, I think she was in a bit of shock, cause the guy serving next to her said "Don't you think we should call the police if a guy is running round in the store with a knife"! She replied with "I'm not sure he's gone now"?

Was crazy, guy looked me right in the face outside, drugs related I guess, which I have a bit less sympathy for, if your gonna get involved, your gonna run the risk.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

The “parents have been informed” is intriguing, was she abducted and then it went very wrong when she was located? 

This perspective has really surprised me. When I was that age it was incredibly common to go out and play with friends unsupervised, I'd think nothing of a 9 year old out without their parents, especially in an age where it's now much easier to stay in contact. Doesn't seem to be the done thing anymore though

• Like 1

Â