Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

I am posting this tonight after another shooting in the city today, this time its in Handsworth. The amount of stabbings and shootings that are happening at the moment is shocking. Its bad enough when anything like this happens, but of late there seems to be at least a stabbing or shooting in north birmingham every day. If you include the last couple of months, there are many more of these kind of incidents. Now i know about the big gang problems in Aston and Handsworth etc but a lot of this had died down in the past couple of years and wasnt as bad as it had been over the years. It seems like it may be starting to kick off again which is really bad news, it just makes you wonder how many guns are on the streets of Brum these days, or how many people are actually carrying knives. I suspect it is a hell of a lot more then figures given by police etc

Even down my local on xmas eve there was a stabbing of a young man, i was only in there with friends the night before. Its just terrible, i have young kids and it really does worry me that things could be starting to get bad again. I thought we had seen the back of the majority of it over the past few years. There has also been a lot of people killed in random acts of violence over xmas. Seriously what is wrong with people these days, cant people go out and have a drink and be merry anymore? I know it only takes one person to do something, but it just seems no matter where you go now there are always dangers of violence or even worse. Especially over the few days before xmas and after, there were at least a stabbing and shooting in 2 days in and around the area of Great Barr i live in. There were probably more incidents that havent even been reported.

I love this city but things like this really tarnish our reputation as a city to visit, my missus has family down south and they just think birmingham is a massive city run by gangsters running around eveywhere. It annoys me that they think like this but how could they see it in any other light with the amount of bad news this city has reported on a regular basis. Im not even sure what the police can do about this unless they can get hold and track the people down with weapons, which on its own is a job and a half.  I hope to god things settle down soon.

Another sad day for Birmingham

• Like 1

Turned the telly on first thing on New Year's Day. The opening line of the local news was "The first stabbing of 2016 occurred just two hours into the New Year". So depressing.

5 hours ago, limpid said:

Have you got any evidence of an increase or is this just your feeling?

No facts or figures but there seems to be a hell of a lot more of it being reported. Especially over the last 2-3 months or so. Its just terrible opening paper or watching news and reading about these incidents so close to home all the time. 

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

No facts or figures but there seems to be a hell of a lot more of it being reported. Especially over the last 2-3 months or so. Its just terrible opening paper or watching news and reading about these incidents so close to home all the time. 

Without some figures though, it could be that you are more sensitive to it at this time for some reason. This is a frequency illusion. I'd seek out some actual statistics.

Hardly conclusive but......

Metropolitan police say knife crime up 18% in London

Rising knife crime is being caused by a cocktail of a reduction in stop and search, increased sales on the dark web of weapons such as the foot-long “zombie knife”, and a burgeoning culture of youth violence, Scotland Yard police chiefs have said.

Knife crime is up by at least 18%, after years of falling, and 10 youngsters have been stabbed to death in the capitalin the past nine months.

Gun crime figures are harder to quantify from the look of it. Lots of articles saying it's on the rise but the last half-decent study seems 4 or 5 years out of date now.

Edited by choffer

London is friggin awful. All you hear is stabbings. when i was in school if we had a problem we would have  fistfight and then 9/10 we would make up an hour later. These days kids are just insecure wimps thats why they carry knives. They do need to be tougher on those who are caught carrying knives. Make prisons as horrible as south africa then people would actually be scared to go there instead of the soft touch we have here.

I herad on the radio the other day they were thinking of allowing in-mates access to tablets to help with "their education" what a bloody joke

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

London is friggin awful. All you hear is stabbings. when i was in school if we had a problem we would have  fistfight and then 9/10 we would make up an hour later. These days kids are just insecure wimps thats why they carry knives. They do need to be tougher on those who are caught carrying knives. Make prisons as horrible as south africa then people would actually be scared to go there instead of the soft touch we have here.

I herad on the radio the other day they were thinking of allowing in-mates access to tablets to help with "their education" what a bloody joke

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."

• Like 2

ive read reports that gun crime in birmingham has been escalating for the past year or so, infact i think it holds the crown of being the worst city in britain for gun crime again. things did calm down for a few years but it looks like its getting bad again. what i find ineresting is that in birmingham its mainly black on black but in manchester and especially liverpool you get a lot more white folk running about with guns and white people being killed. there does not seem to be many white gangs in birmingham that carry guns compared to manchester and liverpool.

• Like 1

Hardly conclusive but......

Metropolitan police say knife crime up 18% in London

Rising knife crime is being caused by a cocktail of a reduction in stop and search, increased sales on the dark web of weapons such as the foot-long “zombie knife”, and a burgeoning culture of youth violence, Scotland Yard police chiefs have said.

Knife crime is up by at least 18%, after years of falling, and 10 youngsters have been stabbed to death in the capitalin the past nine months.

Gun crime figures are harder to quantify from the look of it. Lots of articles saying it's on the rise but the last half-decent study seems 4 or 5 years out of date now.

Any report like this fails to take into account the recording of the data. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I'd been keen to see what was classed as knife crime in 2014 and then again a year later.

• Like 1

Aren't prisons meant to be about rehabilitation over punishment?

i have some links to the recent gun and knife problems. no facts as such but frightening reports of frequency of these incidents recently which is what my original post was about. this was just between october and november. not including the rest of november and the whole of december. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/six-birmingham-shootings-31-days-10436623

this one shows that over the last 10 years gun crime has dramatically fallen. which again is what i thought. But 513 incidents in just 12 months between april 14 and march 15!!

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/keeping-you-safe/behind-the-badge/guns/index.aspx

Again is what i thought but doesnt cover the period of time in my original post. There are no stats as of yet for the recent period i have talked about. The first article says it all for me really.. 6 shootings in 31 days, that cant be amywhere near a so called normal rate of these incidents. Without stats i cant prove to be right or wrong but i am pretty sure that when the stats are released then the last 2/3 months will show an increase. Just searching on birmingham mail for guns and knives throws up at least 5 incidents in the last week!! And thats just what they have reported.

You only have to do a quick search to see how many there have been of late.

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

This was just on Midlands Today. Police a few years ago hoped it might be eradicated and described the last few months as a 'surge'. Mentioned reprisals and a decline in mediation between gangs.

• Like 1

Â