Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

53 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If Burnley don't go up, and assuming there's no premier league interest (which is very unlikely) then we absolutely have to sign Andre Gray, he will fire us back up, we really should have signed him this season and he was only like £3m more than Gestede. 

Andre Gray isn't even that good imo, there are better strikers in that division than him, Clayton Donaldson is better than him, Abel Hernandez etc.

I would be looking at Michael Keane though, strikes me as a solid no nonense CB. Maybe Chester aswell seeing as he's not playing at West Brom.

I did check Bunn's stats thinking he was one of those keepers who'd only played 5 games in 5 years....he did actually play a lot for Norwich in 12/13 and also played for Blackburn when they won at Old Trafford 3-2 and also 1-1 at Liverpool in 11/12.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=27223&season_id=142

I think we'll be seeing a new keeper in January regardless.

my head is spinning in the sense of who is worth keeping and who should the shown the exit door, although RG clearly has the much bigger headache than any of us.

regardless, we need a new keeper, right back, centre back, centre mid, left winger and at least 2 strikers, this just isnt do-able.

i dont like loans, the only problem with loans, is that youre paying for players you cant keep, as well as bringing the fitness up and experience of players for other teams, kyle walker being a prime example.

Edited by AndyBM

Buy some big bruisers to play in central midfield and half decent wingers. Hit home to me when Watford brought on Anya and he looked more threatening than anything we had on the field. We won't have to break the bank if we can buy smart. However we've not done that for years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

i dont like loans, the only problem with loans, is that youre paying for players you cant keep, as well as bringing the fitness up and experience of players for other teams, kyle walker being a prime example.

Well we won't be premier league anymore so can't be picky about ways of doing things, it's been good enough for other clubs e.g. Brighton and James Wilson currently, Boro had Bamford banging in 20 + last season. Who knows what the state of our finances will be either.

another problem with loans, i feel it can alienate players, ie, signing a right back on loan when you have 2 already in the first team, must make them both think they aren't good enough, which can then lead to reduced morale.

2 hours ago, AndyBM said:

another problem with loans, i feel it can alienate players, ie, signing a right back on loan when you have 2 already in the first team, must make them both think they aren't good enough, which can then lead to reduced morale.

Even more reduced morale isnt possible with this lot

Despite what I've seen, I believe if we can keep most of our squad we'll come straight back up.

Hutton, Richards, Clark, Bacuna, Veretout, Westwood, Gestede, Grealish and Gabby.

Bring some youth through and buy a older keeper who still recognises villa as a big club and some proper wingers to utilise Gestede in that league.

• Like 2

The Championship is absolute gash, I mean Gestede scored for fun there last season... for Blackburn!!  However it's no place for some of the light weight, soft arses we seem to have collected, so we need to bolster the ranks with a few grafters.  Beyond that I'd keep as many of the current lot we possibly can and see what a year of winning football matches does to our team, an extra year of experience and a winning mentality may set us up nicely for a return to the prem in 2017.