Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I find it difficult to believe that any club, even ours, would leave it until the player was having a medical with another club before making their move.

So if we actually did have an interest, you would have to think it was before he went to NUFC for his medical, and therefor that he preferred them, for whatever reason.

I agree with this. Just because the press only just got wind of it, doesn't mean that is when the interest was instigated.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I find it difficult to believe that any club, even ours, would leave it until the player was having a medical with another club before making their move.

So if we actually did have an interest, you would have to think it was before he went to NUFC for his medical, and therefor that he preferred them, for whatever reason.

Could just be that the newcastle thing happened a bit quicker than expected too. could have been interested and spoken to his agent about his interest but Newcastle put in a bid, was accepted and the player sees that as the more likely to do something this year option so just went straight there, He might not even need to move house etc depending on where he was living

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

McCormack: not overly enamoured, there is a reason he hasn't got to the top level before and he looks a bit tubby so I hope he's not another lazy one. £12m is a lot for a 29 y/o too but he is proven in the championship so I admire us solving the problem with proven talent although I expect limited longevity if we are promoted. Would rather the fella from Brizzle, both will do nicely however. Rating on the business = 6/10

Clark: won't be missed by me. Wasn't a winner and made mistakes. Selling him to a rival with a manager that can't defend is a good move, I don't think he makes them stronger. Rating on the business = 7/10

Here's hoping for more movements; a couple of defenders (CB, RB), a bit more creativity in the midfield and another forward who scores goals would be nice. It would be preferable they know how to win too

Edited by Tubby

4 hours ago, jon_c said:

I can't remember who, but I'm sure there was someone on here who absolutely hates McGeady and they're raging everytime we get linked.

it was me and I be more fuming if got him now ;)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tubby said:

McCormack: not overly enamoured, there is a reason he hasn't got to the top level before and he looks a bit tubby so I hope he's not another lazy one. £12m is a lot for a 29 y/o too but he is proven in the championship so I admire us solving the problem with proven talent although I expect limited longevity if we are promoted. Would rather the fella from Brizzle, both will do nicely however. Rating on the business = 6/10

Clark: won't be missed by me. Wasn't a winner and made mistakes. Selling him to a rival with a manager that can't defend is a good move, I don't think he makes them stronger. Rating on the business = 7/10

Here's hoping for more movements; a couple of defenders (CB, RB), a bit more creativity in the midfield and another forward who scores goals would be nice. It would be preferable they know how to win too

We aren't top level either so he will do perfectly fine. Rating on the business = 8/10

Clark, Utter Garbage = Rating on the business = 10/10

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 4

If signing the best striker in the league was our 'Plan B' we will be flying when/if we land some 'Plan A's'

Lets not forget some "panic buys" from our recent past. Its not to long ago we were signing guys like Simon Dawkins and Grant Holt. 

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I like this buying captains malarkey

As has been said before, a classic O'Neill tactic. Aside from the odd bought* of contretemps O'Neill ran very harmonious dressing rooms here, that kind of spirit is something I'm desperate to see the return of. 

* Yeah I used Old English, and wut? :suspect:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As has been said before, a classic O'Neill tactic. Aside from the odd bought* of contretemps O'Neill ran very harmonious dressing rooms here, that kind of spirit is something I'm desperate to see the return of. 

Reo- Coker, Carew, Gabby, Adam Johnson, Fletcher

that O'Neill knows his captain material signings ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was captain at both Leeds and Fulham (during Parker's injuries) if that help ease your worries a little regarding his attitude. Also having seen him play a few times I can tell you that he's not lazy. 

Glad to hear he's more likely to contribute than not but sure we'll know in time. Would be nice to keep adding goal scorers, can't have too many and can account for the odd one that might go missing during a game

I always thought that MON's way of running the dressing room was to let the players do whatever they liked, and when Houllier came in and demanded a certain standard of behavior from the players it all fell apart with Dunne and Collins leading the revolt?

1 minute ago, sne said:

I always thought that MON's way of running the dressing room was to let the players do whatever they liked, and when Houllier came in and demanded a certain standard of behavior from the players it all fell apart with Dunne and Collins leading the revolt?

Yes but  - at its best - that worked because he signed plenty with great character who in turn influenced those less so.  It wasn't just Captains, I seem to recall a fair few 'players of the year' bought.  Although this somewhat failed when we got Beye.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Yes but  - at its best - that worked because he signed plenty with great character who in turn influenced those less so.  It wasn't just Captains, I seem to recall a fair few 'players of the year' bought.  Although this somewhat failed when we got Beye.

And Warnock.

Just a theory but I don't think it was a coincidence that we fell apart around March every season under MON.

Obviously him relying on a very limited part of the squad was a big part as well.

44 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bit of rose tinted specs there mate. There were plenty of issues with Carew, Dunne, Collins, Young got his tackle out on a webcam on England duty, Milner once said damn.... 

• Like 4