Guest av1

10 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Gollini, Bunn, Steer

DeLaet, Hutton

Cissokho, Amavi

Elphick, Chester, Baker

Jedinak, Tish, Westwood, Gardner, Lyden

Bacuna, Grealish, Green, Adomah

McCormack, Ayew, Gestede, Kodjia, Kozak, Gabby (like it or not, he's on the books)

Richards and Adama removed due to speculation of a move. Looking at that I'd say a CB and another wide player are need for depth.

Weak in the goalkeeping department, weak in the full back areas, light at centre back, atrocious in centre of midfield, lots of strikers.  

That squad certainly doesn't look like promotion material to me, deficient in too many key areas.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To an extent, I agree (and I'm sure there's more comments after this but I'm posting as I read this!).

However, we've basically replaced like for like (in some cases got fewer players now) in every area apart from upfront where we have a whole load of players. We've also invested £29m in that area of the pitch. In terms of central midfield, though, we lost our best midfielder (Gueye) and our most creative midfielder (Veretout) to bring in Tshibola and Jedinak. Not an upgrade for me, and potentially not enough quality here.

Overall, I'm happy because we're definitely giving it a go. We definitely have an unbalanced squad though.  Is it a very short term approach, too?

It has to be short term. The short term goal is promotion within 2 years. Putting in a long term plan would be a mistake, although we have signed a couple of promising youngsters. 

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

Weak in the goalkeeping department, weak in the full back areas, light at centre back, atrocious in centre of midfield, lots of strikers.  

That squad certainly doesn't look like promotion material to me, deficient in too many key areas.

Weak in full back? I'd argue that we'd pretty solid in that area! All of them could start in this league easily. CB I agree we need some depth, and could do with another proven CM to come in and compete.

If you think that squad isn't capable of promotion then I don't know what is.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It has to be short term. The short term goal is promotion within 2 years. Putting in a long term plan would be a mistake, although we have signed a couple of promising youngsters. 

The short term goal is promotion this season.

the 2 years mentioned by RDM was (i believe) just to take the pressure off. 

1 minute ago, KJT123 said:

What a transfer window this has been. Are we finally done now? One more maybe?

There better be one more.  I've a big bucket of popcorn at home for later with Jim White's name on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

What a transfer window this has been. Are we finally done now? One more maybe?

No for some on here I fear - not enough, or not the quality or the 'world class' demanded (although the tweet from the Doc was clear to me - they were trying but failed).