Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?

Marka Ragnos

Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Just how bad do you FEEL about Villa (likely) going down?

• Worst: Utter, irrevocable, darkest despair. There's no coming back from this! My life is truly altered for the worse.
    • Slightly Better Than Worst: Profoundly depressed, but I can get out of bed and eat my toast in the morning. I see a ... faint ... light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Slightly Better Than Slightly Better: I'm down, but at the end of the day, I'm functioning mostly normally and can even smile sometimes.
    • OK: Only occasionally sad, to be honest; it simply doesn't bother me as much as others at this point. Life goes on.
    • Better Than OK: Truly, not low at all, not even a little. I've completely accepted whatever will be. Bring on the Championship!

56 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

You've got to take a long hard look at The Black Country on that one, it's borders are loosely defined of course but basically you've got a million people living there and the main point of cultural identity that a lot of them have seems to be telling everybody who will listen: "NOT BIRMINGHAM" .  

Almost everybody who lives within 40 miles of Charing Cross will say they are from London, the towns surrounding Manchester identify strongly with Manchester too. Here we just have a group of people who really don't want to stand together but then complain that the region always gets overlooked on a national level.  

That certainly includes me. I'm a YamYam, no connection to Brum at all except for Villa. In all honesty, having lived in Manchester for many years, Manchester is a more exciting, interesting place (sorry). 

22 hours ago, The_Rev said:

You've got to take a long hard look at The Black Country on that one, it's borders are loosely defined of course but basically you've got a million people living there and the main point of cultural identity that a lot of them have seems to be telling everybody who will listen: "NOT BIRMINGHAM" .  

Almost everybody who lives within 40 miles of Charing Cross will say they are from London, the towns surrounding Manchester identify strongly with Manchester too. Here we just have a group of people who really don't want to stand together but then complain that the region always gets overlooked on a national level.  

That is such a spot on comment you would not believe how true.  It's not just the black country either.  I'd suggest even Solihull would not want to be classed as Birmingham

Dunno about Solihull, in my experience they don't seem arsed either way and those who don't consider themselves Brummies are rather more polite about it.  

I once met someone from Tamworth, who introduced themselves as a Brummie. I asked him which part, and obviously I corrected him when he said Tamworth. We're going off topic here though.

• Like 1

It's a great shame and I hope we'll bounce back. However relegation is exactly what this club deserves and I'm not even sure that I really want us to be in the top flight with the discraceful lack of ambition at AVFC. What is the point of being in the PL if our aim is to finish 17th every season. I am fed up of being turned over at home to tinpot clubs like Watford, Swansea, Stoke etc etc. Then again I guess that's exactly what we've become

• Like 1

i live cradley heath roughly in between black heath and dudley so Im surrounded by bloody obsessed ones who do nothing but brag about being the pride of the midlands its very strong black country area and most people take offence if you say they are from birmingham. 

I accepted our fate after the Watford game. I'm looking forward to slightly cheaper tickets and the odd winnable game here and there.

Hopefully a few of our 'big earners' have relegation wage reduction clauses built into their contracts. Or if not that they jump ship and are exposed as the rats they are.

A couple of seasons in the Championship, unpalatable as it may be, could actually help us rebuild. Maybe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Tbh it all bluster when you say you don'd mind Villa going down. If we get relegated it will be a public humiliation of a great club and will sum up the last 5 years of rot. Our proud record of Premier League ever present will go and we will be on Channel Five. The atmosphere is terrible at Villa Park already so will be even worse next season with 5-10,000 less people and every club keen to turn us over. It will be nothing less than we deserve from the past few seasons and I have little confidence of us bouncing straight back up. The football club as a whole has forgotten to be a winning side on and off the pitch. I don't care who we play but if it is going to be forever less than 1 in 4 home wins then I couldn't take that in the championship.

We will become a more southern version of Sheffield Wednesday rattling around in a grand old ground forever talking about the past. A few decent away jollies will not really soften the blow. It will be horrendous.

Your post is spot on.

People having any confidence in our ability to bounce right back need to look at the shit show we've lived through for the past 5 years.

"Hi there I'm Maniche and welcome to the Football League Show.

We kick off with Aston Villa, who you may remember from their Premier League days, who hosted Rotherham United in a bottom-of-the-table clash which pundits were describing as a six-pointer...

Aston Villa who haven't won a league game in 27 now have gone with their usual boring and defensive 4-5-1 formation. Mark Bunn starts in goal with some useless crap they signed last season peppered with new crap from lower leagues in defence. In midfield are some useless French people on massive wages who they just can't shift. Agbonlahor, who hasn't scored a league goal since the fall of the Holy Roman Empire, starts up front on his own...

So another heavy home defeat for Aston Villa there under new manager Paul Jewell. Do you see any way out for them, Phil Brown?"

"Well I'm really glad I got up at 4 in the **** morning to watch that in Dubai seeing as I can no longer see any of the games", thinks Spoony. Guess I'll just check the football news before I go to bed...

WE WILL GET OUT OF THIS DIFFICULT SPELL - STICK WITH THE 90-YEAR PLAN, URGES FOX

No thanks.

On 17 December 2015 at 13:41, The_Rev said:

Almost everybody who lives within 40 miles of Charing Cross will say they are from London, the towns surrounding Manchester identify strongly with Manchester too.

In my experience that is completely untrue. People from Wigan, Bolton, Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale and so on do not identify strongly with Manchester (the city).  As with people  from the south East, or from the west Midlands, or most areas what they will do is help people out with geographical generalisation: like - where are you from? - "Tring", -"Where's that?", - "just north of London" - "ah, OK". My feeling is that towns everywhere kind of define themselves by who they're not, to an extent.  So Hemel Hempstead is not London, Bolton is not Manchester, Sandwell  is not Birmingham....

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Tbh it all bluster when you say you don'd mind Villa going down. If we get relegated it will be a public humiliation of a great club and will sum up the last 5 years of rot. Our proud record of Premier League ever present will go and we will be on Channel Five. The atmosphere is terrible at Villa Park already so will be even worse next season with 5-10,000 less people and every club keen to turn us over. It will be nothing less than we deserve from the past few seasons and I have little confidence of us bouncing straight back up. The football club as a whole has forgotten to be a winning side on and off the pitch. I don't care who we play but if it is going to be forever less than 1 in 4 home wins then I couldn't take that in the championship.

We will become a more southern version of Sheffield Wednesday rattling around in a grand old ground forever talking about the past. A few decent away jollies will not really soften the blow. It will be horrendous.

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

I would like to compare this survey to one that gauges opinions after we're mathematically down.

Think a lot of people are in denial, because there's no two ways about..Relegation will be a lethal dose for this club, and the current crop of players.

I think I'm totally disenfanchised with the modern game. It's kind of rotten to the core. Business has killed sport.

FFP and the Champions League can FF-Off. I haven't watched a single full game that wasn't Villa all season. I just don't care enough. The system that has been designed so that the neutral gets to watch the best players in the best competitions is killing it for real fans of real clubs.

Yes, we have been run down the toilet, but the system itself is toxic.

• Like 3

Now it feels like it's the end of the world. As a foreign fan I am able to go to 1-2 games a season but thanks to premier league tv coverage it's obviously really easy to follow your club wherever you are. But how will it be in championship? I know they show 1-2 games a week on tv here, but how many games are televised in total? Are there streams to most (or any?) games?

Edited by bojong