Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?

Marka Ragnos

Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Just how bad do you FEEL about Villa (likely) going down?

• Worst: Utter, irrevocable, darkest despair. There's no coming back from this! My life is truly altered for the worse.
    • Slightly Better Than Worst: Profoundly depressed, but I can get out of bed and eat my toast in the morning. I see a ... faint ... light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Slightly Better Than Slightly Better: I'm down, but at the end of the day, I'm functioning mostly normally and can even smile sometimes.
    • OK: Only occasionally sad, to be honest; it simply doesn't bother me as much as others at this point. Life goes on.
    • Better Than OK: Truly, not low at all, not even a little. I've completely accepted whatever will be. Bring on the Championship!

I think anyone who sees any kind of consolation in relegation just fails to understand the consequences of being cut off from the Premier League cash, the size of the barrier it creates, the tightness of the financial regulations, or the shortness of the timetable to escape being permanently trapped in a league, where everything has to be viewed in the context of being third rate.  

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the people who run the club and have systematically brought about this disaster are capable of turning things around, in the three years of declining parachute payments. They have spent the last four years bringing about this disaster which has culminated in the present situation, broke every negative record in a long history of negative records, and look likely to create several more for a club relegated from the Premier League.

Unfortunately this is not the 1970s or even the 80s when the fans could make a difference by just turning up. This is the age when a club's respect towards the fan is proportionate to the amount of money they contribute to the club, which was only £13m out of £117m in 2014 (11%). 

The fans have to face the fact that Villa's exile will more than likely be permanent.

All attempts to try and put a happy spin on this reality does a disservice to those who will have to face further decline and failure.

There will be football but the consolations will be few, if any.  

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

I wonder how you feel about relegation corresponds with age. The older guys who have been there done that and got the tee shirt are far more relaxed about it than newer fans who have only ever known premier league football and can't see much beyond it.   

• Like 3

I have watched Villa for over 50 Years and in all that time its been a roller coaster.

good times and bad times, culminating with the privilege of watching my team win the League and subsequent Euro Cup, not mentioning the super cup.

We had a good team, but in terms of technical ability, we wasn't the most expansive playing team you ever saw, but they had some good technical moments too.

Ron was always teased with his line " I want 110% work rate" which masked over some of the finer points of the good team.....They had square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes, They were together, oh boy! they were together a proper TEAM, perhaps not as gifted as Ipswich, but they made up for that, in much the same way Leicester are now.

I have heard folk say, when I waxed lyrical about that team......Oh it was 35 years ago, its different now.....I don't care if it was 135 Years ago......Leicester are doing just what we did in acquiring the players.

While things change in football.....many associated principles don't.

Back to my point

The one thing That I always associated with My Team, despite the ups and downs of opinion on tech ability.....IS FIGHT.......right now I don't see it.

I see some are criticising the fans for lack of Atmosphere ( caller on WM Kevin from Kent).....These fans need an award for endurance.

When was the last Home win ? 

If the fans see effort and I mean GENUINE effort their voices will return.....I am surprised the gates are as big as they are?

Initially, it has to come from the players.

• Like 1

If I thought we'd come straight back up then it wouldn't bother me too much.

In fact, given the fact so many of our players needs time to bed in and improve it could be seen as an opportunity for Garde to develop the team into how he wants it.

But I have this horrible feeling that we won't come straight back up. That's what fills me with fear and despair!

• Like 1

The Premier League is not the be all and end all. That we won't be in a league where we aspire to finish eighth; or maybe snatch a place in probably the most horridly bloated club competition in European football, which puts immense strain on a squad, doesn't bother me one bit.

Previously relegation meant that you had NO chance of winning the league because you were in the wrong division in which to do it. You had to fight your way back again in order to have a shot. That was the worst thing about being in the second division. 

These days you've got NO chance of winning it anyway; it doesn't matter whether you're in the top flight or not. 

Our club is one of many who make up the numbers. We're a Premier League filler and only exist so that four or five rich clubs don't just have to play each other, over and over, for nine months. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think anyone who sees any kind of consolation in relegation just fails to understand the consequences of being cut off from the Premier League cash, the size of the barrier it creates, the tightness of the financial regulations, or the shortness of the timetable to escape being permanently trapped in a league, where everything has to be viewed in the context of being third rate.  

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the people who run the club and have systematically brought about this disaster are capable of turning things around, in the three years of declining parachute payments. They have spent the last four years bringing about this disaster which has culminated in the present situation, broke every negative record in a long history of negative records, and look likely to create several more for a club relegated from the Premier League.

Unfortunately this is not the 1970s or even the 80s when the fans could make a difference by just turning up. This is the age when a club's respect towards the fan is proportionate to the amount of money they contribute to the club, which was only £13m out of £117m in 2014 (11%). 

The fans have to face the fact that Villa's exile will more than likely be permanent.

All attempts to try and put a happy spin on this reality does a disservice to those who will have to face further decline and failure.

There will be football but the consolations will be few, if any.  

I do share your view about not being too quick to resign ourselves to the drop.....and also the consequences of it.

At the moment, despite the obvious predicament, I am staggered at the lack of fight.

There are murmurings of us planning for the drop

My god if Churchill had of announced that, we would all be wearing jack boots now.......No, He chose rallying cries and defiance to defeat and a total belief we would be the victors, despite the obvious adversity.

This is Aston Villa Football club .......IT CUT ITS TEETH ON FIGHT.

We may well go down.....but right know all the clubs thoughts should be about staying up and all the talk should be about DEFIANCE of the drop.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

I wonder how you feel about relegation corresponds with age. The older guys who have been there done that and got the tee shirt are far more relaxed about it than newer fans who have only ever known premier league football and can't see much beyond it.   

I'm a fan who has only known the Premier League (started really supporting Villa around the end of John Gregory / Graham Taylor) and i'm incredibly relaxed about being relegated. All I've known of the Premier League is the teams at the top are the ones that spend the most money. The most success I've seen Aston Villa have is finishing 6th three times in a row, and that was when we were spending money, and to be honest, it's no achievement at all. The whole league is a bit of a farce really. 

Only knowing the Premier League is actually something that gets me excited about a season in the Championship, where it feels like a throw back to how people tell me football used to be. 

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm a fan who has only known the Premier League (started really supporting Villa around the end of John Gregory / Graham Taylor) and i'm incredibly relaxed about being relegated. All I've known of the Premier League is the teams at the top are the ones that spend the most money. The most success I've seen Aston Villa have is finishing 6th three times in a row, and that was when we were spending money, and to be honest, it's no achievement at all. The whole league is a bit of a farce really. 

Only knowing the Premier League is actually something that gets me excited about a season in the Championship, where it feels like a throw back to how people tell me football used to be. 

Lets hope there's a lot more like your good self then!!

"This is Aston Villa Football Club"?

In name, yes. But any similarity between the club (and league football) now, and the club (and league football) in - say - 1981, or 1957, is no more than illusion and fantasy.

I'm coming round to the idea of renaming VP after a sponsor, or moving to a new soulless stadium. What the hell, change the club name and colours. It'll finally bring the reality home, and make it easier to let go.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

Old guys tend to romanticise about the 1970s, forget how long the decline lasted, and how long it took to get back, while ignoring the fact that it is a lot more difficult these days.

They also have the sentimental belief that it is their duty to tell the young folk that it is all going to come right in the end.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I should feel bad but its been coming for years, plus it looks like we are down already which gives us more acceptance than limping along until May and get relegated last day of season

Thats what would make it worse getting relegated last game of the season. We be gone by March I reckon. Lerner is the cancer of this club as we all know and its his fault we are in this mess with all the huge mistakes that fool has made

11 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Old guys tend to romanticise about the 1970s, forget how long the decline lasted, and how long it took to get back, while ignoring the fact that it is a lot more difficult these days.

They also have the sentimental belief that it is their duty to tell the young folk that it is all going to come right in the end.

we went down 67 and 70 to Div 3 and got promoted to Div 1 again in 75 and won the league in 81

not really that long of a decline

Dunno. 8 years out of the top flight is pretty long.

If we got relegated this season and someone told me we wouldn't be back in the premier league until 2024 I'd be pretty gutted!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

fair point.

What has got depressing is the stats the pundits constantly quote about Arsenal and Man Utd amongst others (no doubt) picking up more points at Villa Park in the premier league than any other away ground. Makes you realise that we've been sh#t for a long time. I'd like to see us get some pride back, at least compete. It's been a long time since we've done that against the top clubs especially at home.

Relegation is just an inevitable fate that has been waiting for a while now. I don't want us to go down and no way is it a good thing, no matter what way you try to gloss it over.

I just want to see some fight and passion from those players and not accept their down until we definately are. Give us some pride back

UTV!

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"This is Aston Villa Football Club"?

In name, yes. But any similarity between the club (and league football) now, and the club (and league football) in - say - 1981, or 1957, is no more than illusion and fantasy.

I'm coming round to the idea of renaming VP after a sponsor, or moving to a new soulless stadium. What the hell, change the club name and colours. It'll finally bring the reality home, and make it easier to let go.

I could not possibly, if tried, disagree with that more.

Pre Ron Saunders/Tony Barton we had many managers Cummings/Docherty/ etc

yes, I was there in the 3rd Division, breaking records for the right reasons then.

We was the young ones then.

We heard stories of in the 1920/30's how Villa Bought all the best players Pongo Wareings etc recorded record goal scorings.....Can you imagine how we felt?......"we will never see that day again" you could think

Oh How wrong you can be......My age group seen it even better......We have seen the "good the bad and the ugly".....Don't yield to adversity.

and,Please don't roll out the old chesnut....." but football has changed, it was different then"......"The money has changed it all".....poor old us.

The grass is still green....We still have 2 goal posts much the same size....We still have 11 players.....the ball is still round....etc,etc,etc,etc.

Football will always change, everything does, but the things that matter are much the same and always will be......peripherals change, but the game is much the same as it was 100 years ago, depending how you look at it.

Bournemoth,Watford,Leicester,Crystal Palace,Stoke even Everton are not awash will money......but they are not defeatists......AND WE NEVER WAS TOO.