Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?

Marka Ragnos

Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Just how bad do you FEEL about Villa (likely) going down?

• Worst: Utter, irrevocable, darkest despair. There's no coming back from this! My life is truly altered for the worse.
    • Slightly Better Than Worst: Profoundly depressed, but I can get out of bed and eat my toast in the morning. I see a ... faint ... light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Slightly Better Than Slightly Better: I'm down, but at the end of the day, I'm functioning mostly normally and can even smile sometimes.
    • OK: Only occasionally sad, to be honest; it simply doesn't bother me as much as others at this point. Life goes on.
    • Better Than OK: Truly, not low at all, not even a little. I've completely accepted whatever will be. Bring on the Championship!

I never understand the philosophy of finding comfort in us winning a few more games, if we're relegated to a lower level. The only reason for winning games at that level is to get to where we are now, already. plus if it's against lesser opposition then wins will ring pretty hollow.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I never understand the philosophy of finding comfort in us winning a few more games, if we're relegated to a lower level. The only reason for winning games at that level is to get to where we are now, already. plus if it's against lesser opposition then wins will ring pretty hollow.

But isn't part of the enjoyment of paying your money to go watch a game of football is to have hope that they might win?

I'd much rather see us win games in the Championship than get beat every week in the Premier League. It's beyond depressing now. 

How many games at home have we won over the past 4/5 years?

I actually think dropping down to the Championship will spark some interest in football again for me. No win will feel hollow, ever. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Really don't agree with this. If it's a competative match, scoring goals and beating the opposition is a great feeling, no matter who we play. Obviously some games mean more than others, but say we're playing <insert name of team you class as lesser opposition>, and beating them means we go top of the Championship / get promotion / win the play offs, you can bet it'll be as sweet as any victory in the Premier League. It will for me anyway.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, useless said:

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Really don't agree with this. If it's a competative match, scoring goals and beating the opposition is a great feeling, no matter who we play. Obviously some games mean more than others, but say we're playing <insert name of team you class as lesser opposition>, and beating them means we go top of the Championship / get promotion / win the play offs, you can bet it'll be as sweet as any victory in the Premier League. It will for me anyway.

Like I said in my second sentence the only reason for winning games at that level is to get to where we are now i.e, into the Premier League. So to find consolation in us winning a few games if we go down seems pretty pointless to me, and besides when does it stop, the further down the leagues we drop the more games we'd be more likely to win, but that's no reason for accepting relegation before we've been relegated.  We need to be in the top flight winning games.

Forest, Wolves, BCFC will all be huge games and probably sold out - watching us win any of those will be money well spent. It ain't premier league but it is actually a better experience as a fan than struggling against Watford or Southampton. 

• Like 1

If the tables were turned and a team like Liverpool, Tottenham or Newcastle were in trouble and their fans on their forums were talking about relegation not being so bad because they might win a few games, then I imagine quite a few on here would be laughing at them and thinking them pretty pathetic.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If the tables were turned and a team like Liverpool, Tottenham or Newcastle were in trouble and their fans on their forums were talking about relegation not being so bad because they might win a few games, then I imagine quite a few on here would be laughing at them and thinking them pretty pathetic.

How the **** are we comparable to Liverpool?! Lets not be deluded. We've been lucky not to go down in each of the last 5-6 seasons. Liverpool's worst recent period was finishing 7th or 8th for a few seasons in a row.

Edited by Arj Guy

1 minute ago, useless said:

If they'd had the previous 4 or 5 seasons we have, maybe not. For me it's not even the case of winning more games, it's the chance to enjoy football again. I don't welcome the relegation, I just don't think it'll be as awful as other seem to think it will be. There'll still be an Aston Villa to support, and there will still be games to go to, and there will still be a chance to take some pride in watching the club my family and I have supported for years.

But we are pathetic, and have been for ages. It's probably the acceptance of this fact that is the moment when you are suddenly ok about being relegated.

I'm sure there would be, don't take this the wrong way but it would probably be you laughing at them because it seems that's the mentality you have. However, a lot of us would be completely understanding of that opinion because really, the Premier League really isn't all that. It's an opinion i've held for a long time, and when your whole aim is to "stay up" and nothing more... well, what's the point? 

It's one of those things that just staying up is great for the owners of the football club, who are happy to take in the additional revenue but have no ambition to do anything more, but for us fans it's just shite.

• Like 2

After so many years battling against relegation I've accepted the fact that this is our year that we will end our stay in the Premier League. I'm not looking forward to the championship but the standard of football isn't that bad. The sky game monday night between Blackburn and Forest was truly awful but the one last night between QPR and Brighton was as good as many you see in the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

How the **** are we comparable to Liverpool?! Lets not be deluded. Or Spurs either

Where did I compare us to Liverpool or Spurs? I just said that if they were in our position and their fans on their forums were talking about relegation not being so bad because they might win a few games, then I imagine quite a few on here would see it as pathetic. And I happen to think that it's pitiful for us to think that way too, and I'm sure fans of other clubs would feel the same if they read this thread, you don't have to be as big as Liverpool for that to be the case.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm sure there would be, don't take this the wrong way but it would probably be you laughing at them because it seems that's the mentality you have. However, a lot of us would be completely understanding of that opinion because really, the Premier League really isn't all that. It's an opinion i've held for a long time, and when your whole aim is to "stay up" and nothing more... well, what's the point? 

It's one of those things that just staying up is great for the owners of the football club, who are happy to take in the additional revenue but have no ambition to do anything more, but for us fans it's just shite.

Erm, I do take that the wrong way, because I've never written anything on this forum to suggest that laughing at them is the mentality that I'd have. Really not sure what your talking about there.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Where did I compare us to Liverpool or Spurs? I just said that if they were in our position and their fans on their forums were talking about relegation not being so bad because they might win a few games, then I imagine quite a few on here would see it as pathetic. And I happen to think that it's pitiful for us to think that way too, and I'm sure fans of other clubs would feel the same if they read this thread, you don't have to be as big as Liverpool for that to be the case.

But they would never be in this position and wouldn't ever have 6 relegation battles in a row.

They probably wouldn't be in this position but i was just using an hypothetical situation. The same logic would apply to most teams in the Premier league. For me if we get relegated the notion that we may win a few more games in the Championship won't offer any consolation. Besides we'd might end up losing most of our players and not faring much better, I say 'might' as in all probability I think we'd do well come straight back up.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual how they'd feel should we get relegated. If someone finds comfort in the idea that we might win a few more games in the Championship then that's there view, and it's not really my place to call that pathetic.

• Like 2

Considering relegation would mean less streams and therefore less opportunity to actually follow games, I'd say I'm pretty upset about its looming possibility (inevitability at our current rate..). It basically reduces the majority of games to live-updates in text format which is about as exciting as watching corn boil or some sh*t of equal measure. That is far from what I would call ideal, so any romanticism with regards to our possible prospects of taking that game to Preston is effectively null if I can't witness it. The day championship football becomes more broadly televised it might be a different story. Right now, the possibility of us going down and staying down seems horrid. It forces us internationals into a really crap position.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the club? I understand what you're saying, and to a degree, I agree. It is our ultimate goal, to be competative in the top flight. Can we ever realistically win it ever again though? Not without a massive injection of cash from a sugar daddy, and to be honest that would feel more hollow to me, than any win in the Championship. I care very little for the Premier League, and I long for the days of playing in a league that can be won by anyone, not just those with the most money. Playing in the Championship for a season (or possibly longer) may recapture some of that. It may help me fall back in love with the sport, rather than just my club. From what I remember of the relegation in 87, the following season was great fun. We battled with Millwall and Middlesbrough at the top of the table, and when we were promoted at Swindon on the last day of the season, I'm sure I couldn't have been any happier. 

This. When Villa last won the biggest prize, it was an open competition - any club with an astute manager and a bit of luck had a fighting chance.

Not so, now. The ONLY way to win the Premier League is by buying it. And it takes an obscene amount of money. If the price of success is Villa being the plaything of a foreign billionaire, I don't want it.

• Like 1