Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?

Marka Ragnos

Just how bad do you feel about Villa (likely) going down?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Just how bad do you FEEL about Villa (likely) going down?

• Worst: Utter, irrevocable, darkest despair. There's no coming back from this! My life is truly altered for the worse.
    • Slightly Better Than Worst: Profoundly depressed, but I can get out of bed and eat my toast in the morning. I see a ... faint ... light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Slightly Better Than Slightly Better: I'm down, but at the end of the day, I'm functioning mostly normally and can even smile sometimes.
    • OK: Only occasionally sad, to be honest; it simply doesn't bother me as much as others at this point. Life goes on.
    • Better Than OK: Truly, not low at all, not even a little. I've completely accepted whatever will be. Bring on the Championship!

52 minutes ago, Neil said:

I would like to compare this survey to one that gauges opinions after we're mathematically down.

Think a lot of people are in denial, because there's no two ways about..Relegation will be a lethal dose for this club, and the current crop of players.

How many teams have ceased to exist after relegation from the Premier League?

It will not be a lethal dose at all

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrinityRoadSteps said:

How many teams have ceased to exist after relegation from the Premier League?

It will not be a lethal dose at all

With a team of no fight in this league will continue spiraling down the championship.  Missing out on TV money next season already starts the gulf of spend I'm the prem, by the team we're looking at promotion we'll be light years behind in financial clout.

With the money everyone can spend / will be receiving will a mass to something we just won't be able to match.  Gulf between the two leagues in termsof money and cost of players is set to be worse than ever before.

Lethal dose, and well be floating in the shit for years.

2 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

We'll still have a football club to support so getting relegated will be far from any sort of disaster. We'll still lose some games, draw some, and we might even win more, too. We won't play against super rich clubs who have their shiny, new £50m signing on show, or hundreds of millions of pounds worth of player on the bench, but I can live with that because I go to watch Aston Villa and not the opposition. 

We won't get our annual beatings by United and Arsenal, we'll lose our one minute slot on MOTD, and our five or so live games on Sky Sports, but that's fine too. 

We'll no longer have the 'top eight' to aspire to and our chances of playing in some Eastern European backwater on a Thursday night will be gone, but it's no real loss. 

Aston Villa football club will still exist. We'll still have a team of unarsed millionaires to support. It'll just be in a different league, against different opposition, and at different stadiums. 

Relegation just isn't that bothersome and it's not bluster if people believe so. 

This sums it all up nicely.

We should all be starting to face the possibility a lot more now, seeing as the last few seasons we've only just managed to escape it. The only thing I'm scared of is if we turn into a Blackburn/Bolton/Leeds etc, lose all of our players, take on a batch of typical Championship mediocre players and just totally get written off and never return or challenge to come back up.

Would Garde even stay? 

"With a team of no fight in this league will continue spiraling down the championship.  Missing out on TV money next season already starts the gulf of spend I'm the prem, by the team we're looking at promotion we'll be light years behind in financial clout.

With the money everyone can spend / will be receiving will a mass to something we just won't be able to match.  Gulf between the two leagues in termsof money and cost of players is set to be worse than ever before"

It's an idea that gets banded about, but it's just not true. There has always been this financial gulf, but teams have been able to overcome it when they've been promoted. How are Leicester doing better than long established PL clubs like Everton, Spurs etc? 

The extra money will just get spent on paying inflated wages and fees for average players. If all the teams spend their money wisely, which they won't, and only pack their squads with real quality, which won't happen, and they manage to keep all their best players, which is almost impossible, then and only then will the gulf might become to big. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

Honestly? Not that bad at all. I'm pissed off about it a little bit but as some others have said I'm tired of battling relegation every season. I'm tired of winning only a handful of games every season, scoring few and conceding many. Obviously there's no guarantee that we'll actually do well in the Championship but as I've said before it's got to the stage where I'd rather take a possibility of a really good Championship season over the near-certainty of another struggle in the Premier League. What we have now is absolutely no fun at all.

I do think some people are probably being a bit overly-negative about our chances next season as well. We won't necessarily be topping the table but I think it's highly unlikely that we'll do a Leeds or a Wolves either. I also think the significance of this new TV deal is being exaggerated as well. If we bounce straight back up (which is obviously a big if) then it likely won't make much difference.

Edited by Mantis

27 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

"With a team of no fight in this league will continue spiraling down the championship.  Missing out on TV money next season already starts the gulf of spend I'm the prem, by the team we're looking at promotion we'll be light years behind in financial clout.

With the money everyone can spend / will be receiving will a mass to something we just won't be able to match.  Gulf between the two leagues in termsof money and cost of players is set to be worse than ever before"

It's an idea that gets banded about, but it's just not true. There has always been this financial gulf, but teams have been able to overcome it when they've been promoted. How are Leicester doing better than long established PL clubs like Everton, Spurs etc? 

The extra money will just get spent on paying inflated wages and fees for average players. If all the teams spend their money wisely, which they won't, and only pack their squads with real quality, which won't happen, and they manage to keep all their best players, which is almost impossible, then and only then will the gulf might become to big. 

There is already a massive gulf between us and the rest of our current league, caused through the lowest investment in our league.

Once the financial gulf is further widened, where is the money going to come from in the championship?

If we continue like we are as a team, well get battered in the championship.  How is it proposed we'll ever get out of that mire?  We'll have to spend, well be stuck with prem wages on a team that may prove to be less than league 2 standard...with less money available than we already have, where is the magical investment likely to come?

The gulf will be real, it already is.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

^

People said the exact same thing about Newcastle 7 years ago.

People said the same about wolves, Birmingham, Leeds, Blackpool.  The list goes on.

And Newcastle are shite, they just might prove to have a better team than us.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

People said the same about wolves, Birmingham, Leeds, Blackpool.  The list goes on.

And Newcastle are shite, they just might prove to have a better team than us.

To be fair, we're far more comparable to Newcastle in 2009 than any of those clubs were when they went down (for a variety of reasons). For one thing, we don't have the same financial situation that Leeds had and Blackpool have.

I find it ridiculous that Leeds get brought up so often actually. Again I'm not saying we'll definitely do well in the Championship but the collapse of Leeds was a direct result of their extreme financial situation.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

To be fair, we're far more comparable to Newcastle in 2009 than any of those clubs were when they went down (for a variety of reasons). For one thing, we don't have the same financial situation that Leeds had and Blackpool have.

I find it ridiculous that Leeds get brought up so often actually. Again I'm not saying we'll definitely do well in the Championship but the collapse of Leeds was a direct result of their extreme financial situation.

I find us more comparable to those I've mentioned as we'll have a team of unproven players, with an unproven manager that will have gone to prove they have no fight in a relegation battle...and no fight in the championship.

We could find ourselves looking for the right manager and the right players, which won't come about in one season.  For me its nailed on, relegation and we won't come up in the first time of trying.  And our owner won't spend sod all to rectify the situation, even less than mike cashley makes available...

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

I find us more comparable to those I've mentioned as we'll have a team of unproven players, with an unproven manager that will have gone to prove they have no fight in a relegation battle...and no fight in the championship.

We could find ourselves looking for the right manager and the right players, which won't come about in one season.  For me its nailed on, relegation and we won't come up in the first time of trying.  And our owner won't spend sod all to rectify the situation, even less than mike cashley makes available...

Well if you look at Newcastle they were pretty similar. Hughton was unproven (far more so than Garde actually) and they didn't have much fight in their relegation battle either. They had more "proven" players I'll give you that but I don't think our squad is quite as unproven as some make out and in any case Newcastle's star was the unproven Carroll and of course we'll probably recruit some proven players in the summer (hopefully).

The clubs you mentioned on the other hand were quite different. Leeds were in a completely different financial situation, Blackpool were a tiny club who also ended up with big financial problems and Wolves and SHA were never even close to being Premier League stalwarts like we are.

Do you think it's nailed on that we'll go down or nailed on that we won't come back up first time? If it's the latter than that's just absurd.

The attitude and ambition has to be right if we are relegated,if not we will drop further and further - look at Portsmouth.

Portsmouth is was a very extreme case, even worse than Leeds perhaps. Again, not comparable.

Edited by Mantis

@Mantis Sunderland were relegated with 15 points and won the league the following season. There are loads of examples, good and bad.  Nobody knows what will happen, I think we are all fearing the worst at the moment and selecting the worst examples available. People will not mention more recent examples like Sunderland, West Ham, Newcastle but they will Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday. 

I worry about Lerner pulling the plug (like that bloke at Bolton) if we have a bad start, he has proven to be an irresponsible owner. 

Just said to the wife that if we lose today I'm throwing the towel in. Then said hang on, if we lose next match then I really will throw the towel in. Then thought no, if we were to win the one after that we have a chance. I'm not certain I'm as prepared for relegation as I thought I'd convinced myself I was.

• Like 1

There are no words strong enough to describe how devestated i will be. I break down in tears every week watching us throw games away without a fight.

With relegation (and lets face it, short of a miracle, we are relegated) means no sale. No sale means little to no investment. Any decent players we have will leave and most on high wages will be axed.

I fear with the rot at the core of this club we are destined for consecutive relefations...