The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

More likely is that the club don't want to announce anything without someone lined up, ala Newcastle with Mclaren/Rafa

No point telling Garde to piss off unless you've got someone to stand in the dugout for Chelsea.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we won't sack RG until we're mathematically relegated otherwise we'll have to pay him the survival bonus.

He'd be an idiot to quit now, unless Villa were going to do a deal on his payoff (unlikely).

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I said it before and I'll say it again, we won't sack RG until we're mathematically relegated otherwise we'll have to pay him the survival bonus.

He'd be an idiot to quit now, unless Villa were going to do a deal on his payoff (unlikely).

Well they could just agree that relegation will happen and go from there. No need to rush to get rid of RG, hence why its taking a while. Shame, but was Fox's appointment which means it was the wrong one. I still like the guy though.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

That's some jump in logic. He'll get a big pay off anyway. How would he expect a survival bonus for getting sacked? Hopefully his departure is all sorted and it's a case of sorting out the new bloke so we don't get loads of negative press. We need to start getting momentum for next year with a positive vibe through the club. Getting relegated sooner rather than later may be beneficial in that sense!  

15 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

That's some jump in logic. He'll get a big pay off anyway. How would he expect a survival bonus for getting sacked? 

If he got sacked today his agent would be all over Villa for the bonus payment, as theoretically Villa could have survived if he'd stayed.

He'll get a percentage of his outstanding salary as written in his contract. If there is a sticking point it'll no doubt be about bonus payments for staying up.

29 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well they could just agree that relegation will happen and go from there. No need to rush to get rid of RG, hence why its taking a while. Shame, but was Fox's appointment which means it was the wrong one. I still like the guy though.

If you were paying attention in recent weeks RG has kept saying he refuses to accept Villa are already relegated... he's not stupid!

17 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Football managers aren't permanent employees though. I guess they're just temps, in a way.

If we want rid of Remi, we should just do what my work does to temps, and accuse him of smearing shit on the toilet walls and terminate his contract with immediate effect.

(Some elements of the above sentence may or may not be true)

Just tickled me.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

If you were paying attention in recent weeks RG has kept saying he refuses to accept Villa are already relegated... he's not stupid!

Yes because what you see in the media is the whole entire reality of it.

On 25 March 2016 at 11:57, Stevo985 said:

I imagine it will be chosen by the "football board". So not Hollis at all.

Which is absolutely a good thing.

Until the new manager gets announced and it doesn't meet with some fans approval.

On 25 March 2016 at 11:57, Stevo985 said:

I imagine it will be chosen by the "football board". So not Hollis at all.

Which is absolutely a good thing.

Sorry to drag this one out from a couple of days ago, noticed where TRO has quoted it. Bernstein has said that big decisions like picking a new manager will sit with the main board, not the football board, the football board will make recommendations but the decision will rest with Hollis and the board.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yes because what you see in the media is the whole entire reality of it.

... because the second he says "we're down" he knows hes out the door.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone else already getting a bit bored of this smorgasbord of boards?

With the amount of poor decisions that have been made over a good period of time......They would be forgiven for trying to ensure they now get it right moving forward.

We can't keep hounding them for whats happened in the past.....we need to encourage them to get it right for the future.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sorry to drag this one out from a couple of days ago, noticed where TRO has quoted it. Bernstein has said that big decisions like picking a new manager will sit with the main board, not the football board, the football board will make recommendations but the decision will rest with Hollis and the board.

Fair enough.

22 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Football managers aren't permanent employees though.

That was sort of my point. Zat was implying that if Footballers were treated like "normal" working people, like himself, then they'd be sacked for doing something shit, without a payoff.

Which isn't really true.

Sport   Football
Aston Villa ready to part company with Remi Garde

Unhappy: Rémi Garde has told Villa he sees no future for himself as manager of the club    CREDIT: EPA
 John Percy
26 MARCH 2016 • 10:30PM
Aston Villa will continue talks with Rémi Garde over his departure this week and are also ready to dismiss Paddy Riley, head of recruitment at the Premier League’s bottom club.

Garde has informed Villa’s board he sees no future as the club’s manager and, despite a deadlock in negotiations, further discussions will be held with director David Bernstein in the next few days.

Villa’s new-look board, headed by chairman Steve Hollis and Bernstein, are preparing to dismiss Garde after a dreadful run of results, while the Frenchman has also made it clear he wants to move on.

Garde’s contract has more than three years to run but Villa are reluctant to pay hefty compensation, resulting in an impasse which both parties are keen to resolve before Saturday’s league game against Chelsea.

The stand-off is understood to be further damaging morale at Villa’s Bodymoor Heath training ground, with sources describing the atmosphere last week as “dead”. Garde believes he has been betrayed by the club after they failed to back him in the January transfer window and regards his position as untenable. He has only secured two league wins since his appointment in November and the defeat at Swansea last Saturday was his 12th in charge.

Garde will likely lose his job this week
Bernstein is also turning his attention to Riley and The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that the former Manchester City chairman has been staggered by the findings from his investigation into the club’s season. As a result, Riley is on the brink of joining chief executive Tom Fox and Hendrik Almstadt, the sporting director, as the latest high-profile casualty.

Riley is responsible for organising and appointing Villa’s scouting network and it is alleged that head European scout Jon Bickers, whose main focus is players in the Bundesliga, has emigrated to Australia. Simon Ward, the regional scouting manager, is studying journalism at university although his remit is to watch players in La Liga and Portugal.

Bernstein has also been stunned to discover that other senior staff have no experience of professional football, with the only exception said to be goalkeeping scout Tony Coton, who was appointed by Garde’s predecessor Tim Sherwood.

Garde has struggled since day one in the job
Garde’s relationship with Riley has completely broken down and the pair are barely on speaking terms. It is also alleged that Garde was told January targets did not want to move to Villa – only for Garde then to speak to the players directly and discover they had never been contacted.

Bernstein has admitted changes are necessary as the club prepare for inevitable relegation to the Championship.

“I think up to now there’s been a surprising lack of football expertise at board level,” he said. “It will be for us to look at the structures we’ve got here and just get things into shape. Like with any organisation, we need to look at the whole thing from top to bottom in terms of personnel.

“We’ve got to get a bit of a move on because we’ve got this period until the end of the season, we’ve got the close season, we don’t want to leave any of these things or decisions late.”

Â