The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

9 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Garde is just as shit as Sherwood was, if not worse imo. Not getting a win from Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich or West Ham is beyond shockin. Persionally, i think Sherwood would of won at least 1 of them.

Based on what though? 

Sherwood lost 9 of his last 10 league games, the other one being a draw, and we were pretty much getting worse and worse.

I don't think we'd have won anymore games with Sherwood. And as pathetic as it is I don't think we'd have as many points as we do now.

Garde is just as shit as Sherwood was, if not worse imo. Not getting a win from Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich or West Ham is beyond shockin. Persionally, i think Sherwood would of won at least 1 of them.

It's hardly a massive vote of confidence to state that the man who signed all these players (despite his revisionist protestations), who had an entire pre-season with them and who had the first half of the season to try and figure out how to get them playing together might have done better in the above matches than the man tasked with coming in late in the day and fixing Tim's clusterf*ck.

The point is that I and others believe our current manager has a much higher ceiling than Sherwood and will ultimately be a far better manager to have around the place than that cockney gobshite.  But just to counter your hypothetical with another hypothetical, there's also the possibility that Tim would have done worse, especially on the basis that he was losing, or had lost, the confidence of a lot of the squad at the point where he was dismissed.

Garde looks out of his depth though. Stating that the players didnt follow his instructions against wycombe is worrying also.

10 minutes ago, Ulver said:

Garde still retains my full backing. And will until he's got some players in that give a shit 

And I still hold Sherwood to blame for this whole **** mess along with the board

I think that is unfair. There have been many factors to blame for this mess, Sherwood was only the most recent.

Garde is in charge of the team, surely a manager can motivate even the shittest bunch of players to beat Wycombe ffs.

Not if they don't want to be motivated. You're forgetting Dim Tim had Benteke, Delph, Cleverley and even Vlaar at times. And he still managed to pick up some awful results That word removed also must've spent all summer doing anything but preparing this current lot for a season of football.

That dimwit took over a team in shocking form, motivated them to win the games needed to stay up and got us to an fa cup final in the process.

Garde has took over a team in shocking form and managed to make us even more shite and embarassing with results like the wycombe one.

Different teams. No Delph, Benteke or Cleverley. No Grealish either for all intents and purposes. No Vlaar.

A few decent players yes, none of whom had been blooded in the first team. Our best player had his knee obliterate within a week of him joining.

No late minute penalty win against a local rival... Totally different circumstances. Sherwood did a decent job for a couple of months yes, Garde hasn't but hasn't had anything go his way either. Either way, look beyond the cover and the circumstances aren't comparable at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YGabbana said:

Garde looks out of his depth though. Stating that the players didnt follow his instructions against wycombe is worrying also.

Yes, it tells you exactly what the problem is right there

Based on what though? 

Sherwood lost 9 of his last 10 league games, the other one being a draw, and we were pretty much getting worse and worse.

I don't think we'd have won anymore games with Sherwood. And as pathetic as it is I don't think we'd have as many points as we do now.

We're getting worse and worse now though aswell.

Think he's a bit tired of baring the brunt.  Probably feels abandoned and thrown to the wolves by Lerner a bit.

http://www.football365.com/news/garde-wants-lerner-or-fox-to-speak-out

Garde wants Lerner or Fox to speak out

Date published: Monday 11th January 2016 1:40

Randy Lerner

Boss Remi Garde hopes Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Tom Fox will break their silence soon.

The manager also insisted he understands supporters’ anger after he and the players were mercilessly abused by fans.

Garde revealed he has asked owner Lerner to talk to the fans – and believes he will speak soon – with the club in disarray and fury spilling over with Villa bottom of the Barclays Premier League.

Garde and the squad were abused as they boarded the coach after Saturday’s 1-1 FA Cup draw at Wycombe, while Micah Richards also spoke to supporters to calm tensions during the game.

American Lerner has barely spoken to the media in five years and Garde expects he and chief executive Tom Fox, who is in New York to hold talks with Lerner about the club’s January transfer plans, to address Villa’s situation.

He said: “This is something I asked from them a fortnight ago, or something like that. Not to take the pressure off me – if I didn’t want the pressure I wouldn’t have this job.

“It’s more because I’m facing you (the media) every week but actually I know Villa from inside for only 10 weeks now.

“At some point I cannot explain and I am not in the position to judge what happened before and whether it was right or wrong because I wasn’t here.

“At some point it is important that the Aston Villa voice is not only mine.

“This is not to avoid my responsibilities at all. I will do it as long as I am in this position at this club.”

Villa host Crystal Palace on Tuesday marooned at the bottom of the league and 11 points from safety.

They are seven points behind second bottom Sunderland and tensions boiled over after Villa failed to beat League Two Wycombe on Saturday.

Videos of the manager and players being abused after the game were posted on social media while substitutes Brad Guzan and Joleon Lescott were also accused of playing a game involving chewing gum during the match.

Garde tried to move on from the weekend but conceded he expected the reaction.

He said: “I know football, in every country it’s the same. I understand completely the fans’ frustration. I am not surprised because I know that from situations from different clubs I have played and worked for.”

The boss said he was not aware of the reported issue with Lescott and Guzan but reminded all players of their responsibilities.

He added: “What I can say is, as a professional player, you need to behave in the right way with respect for everybody. It doesn’t matter if you are top of the table or bottom. It’s just a question of being respectful to everybody.”

Against Palace, Garde is without Carlos Sanchez and Alan Hutton (hamstring), while Jack Grealish (tonsilitis) and Gabriel Agbonlahor (back) are doubts.

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Benteke saved us. Sherwood just happened to be the name next to 'manager:' at the time.

I disagree - I think Sherwood did a great job with Benteke.  He publicly said he'd set the team up to play to Benteke's strengths and basically heralded the guy as his shining light.  Benteke thrived and scored plenty - getting his £32.5m move at the end of it.

In my opinion, Sherwood tried to do a similar job with Grealish.  He thrived upon it at the time, but the praise seems to have affected his attitude and he's now making backwards steps rather than forward ones.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

We're getting worse and worse now though aswell.

Nah, we're not.

But even if we are, that doesn't prove what I said wrong. Sherwood was taking us absolutely nowhere.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree - I think Sherwood did a great job with Benteke.  He publicly said he'd set the team up to play to Benteke's strengths and basically heralded the guy as his shining light.  Benteke thrived and scored plenty - getting his £32.5m move at the end of it.

In my opinion, Sherwood tried to do a similar job with Grealish.  He thrived upon it at the time, but the praise seems to have affected his attitude and he's now making backwards steps rather than forward ones.

I think he latched onto benteke's returning spotlight personally to make himself shine a bit brighter. What was the teams alternative to not basing it around benteke? Even if Tim wasn't the manager what was the other choice to that tactic?

He lucked out with a returning benteke imo.

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I think he latched onto benteke's returning spotlight personally to make himself shine a bit brighter. What was the teams alternative to not basing it around benteke? Even if Tim wasn't the manager what was the other choice to that tactic?

He lucked out with a returning benteke imo.

It doesn't matter - he still did it.  The squad was dead under Lambert, and Sherwood revived it - and not only with Benteke.

He had plenty of downfalls and was never the right manager, but some of the things Sherwood did were very good at worked at the time.  He was just far, far, far, far too much of a short term fix and didn't have a clue what to do when things went wrong.

• Like 1

I think the man understands our frustrations a lot more than anybody else at Aston Villa Football Club. I also think he wasn't expecting the situation all round to be this dire, a manager having to tell the board to communicate with fans, a January planning meeting happening nearly half way through January. It stinks of poor management of the club as a whole, and sadly we will probably see Remi get sacked in the end when really our problems go such much deeper. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed. There would have to be some financial compensation in the release clause, probably around the same amount we bought them for.

You are probably right - Just repeating what I was told. I don't know how these things work. 

What I do know is that it sounds like Villa were preparing for  relegation before the season even started or at least accepting that we were taking a massive gamble.

Just now, bobzy said:

It doesn't matter - he still did it.  The squad was dead under Lambert, and Sherwood revived it - and not only with Benteke.

He had plenty of downfalls and was never the right manager, but some of the things Sherwood did were very good at worked at the time.  He was just far, far, far, far too much of a short term fix and didn't have a clue what to do when things went wrong.

I know what you're saying but the nature of the man and his lack of knowledge and admittance of 'not having a clue' leads me to believe against him. I don't despise the man and I guess he deserves a tiny tiny miniscule bit of credit for doing the painfully obvious but it really does grieve me to do so :) but benteke still did 99.9% of the saving :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

As much as I prefer Garde over Sherwood here and now, I'm not going to re-write history to make Sherwood out to be something he was not.  I will always acknowledge what he did last season.  For all his flaws, he was the perfect short term manager.  He got the reaction that was sorely needed.  By being the anti-Lambert he gave the players the shot in the arm.  Yes he lucked into a returning Benteke, but he did more than that.  He made Benteke feel 10 feet tall with what he said to the meeja and how he used him.  He did the same thing with Adebaydonkey at Spurs.  He made it crystal clear that Benteke was the star and to get him the ball as often as possible.  It's a short term tactic with a finite lifespan but it did the job.  I also happen to reluctantly agree that because of his achievements last season, from an employment point of view you couldn't really justify turfing him out over the summer.  As much as I disagree as a fan, I would have to agree that he earned his shot at the full time role.  It gives me no pleasure to know we were ultimately proved right regarding his medium to long term abilities.

Bang on.

I was talking to a mate about it the other day saying that Sherwood on a 3-year deal was the wrong choice - should've only been until the end of the season.  But then, after doing what he did, could we really justify getting rid of him?  Probably not.  He earned his chance, much to Villa's detriment.

• Like 1

Â