The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Imo a competent striker and we would have won games and garde wouldn't be getting grief. Why the club thought it was acceptable to go into a premier league season with a championship bulldozer, an erratic striker from France and 3 goals a season agbonlahor is beyond me.

Feel bad for the guy, already wearing the "haunted" Villa manager expression and looks like he's aged about 10 years in as many weeks. He'll do well elsewhere if we don't destroy his career completely but got about as much chance of doing something with us as anyone else at the moment... **** all.

Edited by flamingsombrero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Imo a competent striker and we would have won games and garde wouldn't be getting grief. Why the club thought it was acceptable to go into a premier league season with a championship bulldozer, an erratic striker from France and 3 goals a season agbonlahor is beyond me.

We wish.

It's hardly improved though. 

Maybe not. 

I personally think certain things have definitely improved, but the defence hasn't and that has stopped that being turned into results.

Like I said above, I don't think it's good enough. I don't think Garde is performing particularly well at the moment. 

But I do think it's better than what Sherwood left us with.

Whatever you think, the facts are that his record is virtually identical to Sherwood's. The main difference people point to is that he seems a more likeable character than Sherwood and speaks well in public.

Arguably the actual football we are seeing on the field us getting worse however.

• Like 1

I don't think it's about effort or performance from the players now, it's more about self-belief and the feeling I'm sure most of them have that they're feeling useless. Even the best psychologists can struggle with that so a football manager will struggle too. It all stems from Timmy's defiance that going into the season with Gestede, Agbonlahor and Ayew as the main strikers was good enough, as well as a chucked together defence based on being big names and reputation, which to be fair, wasn't great. Some of the players we bought in the summer are pretty good, but it's only half a team, it's just a group of pleyers chucked together with minimal planning and an amatuer-level attempt at pre-season from an inexperienced Manager, and a couple of coaches who should know a lot better.

The thing is, having a forward up front who has a knack of scoring, maybe getting between 15 and 20 goals a season has a knock-on effect with the rest of the team. THey know if they keep creating chances then the ball will go in the back of the net. Unfortunatley at the moment we don't really have anyone with a knock of scoring goals, so the chances are made, once in a blue moon they come off, but more often than not, they end up in row z (or any other cliche). This then has mental effects on the supporting players, they start to doubt themselves and confidence drops, defence on the other hand become nervous because the pressure is on them more to perform. Brad Guzan isn't very good.

Timmy Sherwood lost 7 league games on the bounce, or even 9 with a draw at home to... Sunderland thrown in for good measure, which let's face it, is like a loss anyway. He got erratic, failed to integrate the new players into the squad then got even more daft and then through his actions made it very difficult for the squad and team to settle.

Remi came in and had a good start with a credible 0-0 draw against Man Citeh, improvements in that game were notable. Unfortunatley, the damage had already done and I challenge anyone to find any Manager who could have done a lot better. Maybe marginally better yes but sadly those type of Managers are out of our reach. Pearson is a dinasour who oversaw some disgraceful going ons with the Leicester squad before a miracle (credited to Esteban Cambiasso), Moyes wasn't available at the time and in my opinion, it's never a good idea to employ a Manager straight from 1 disaster (there's a hangover), which also rules out Rodgers.

I believe we've got probably one of the better ones available to us given our situation and I'm interested to see what he does in the Transfer window, and in the summer too. He ahs my backing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe not. 

I personally think certain things have definitely improved, but the defence hasn't and that has stopped that being turned into results.

Like I said above, I don't think it's good enough. I don't think Garde is performing particularly well at the moment. 

But I do think it's better than what Sherwood left us with.

I don't. 

I think we'd have beat league 2 opposition with what Sherwood left. 

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Especially after apparently nearly agreeing a deal with adebayor. I don't get the rationale when that deal fell through, we then thought we had enough up front? We have been defensively woeful yet I still believe our biggest issue is how toothless we look. I honestly believe we could play all day and not score. Put the two together....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't. 

I think the problem we have now is that the players are deflated. The Norwich & Sunderland games have really knocked the stuffing out of them.

After Arsenal, we had 4 games where we were looking to kick start. The first 2 wen OK, the second 2 were disasters. It has removed hope of staying up. You can see it in the players, just like you can read it on here. On Boxing Day, many were still posting positively on here-Myself included. The two defeats that followed have destroyed us and the team also.

I'd say that immediately after Arsenal or Newcastle, we would have beaten Wigan. The dynamics have changed now.

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think he will walk if things don't get any better. No point sacking him until the end of the season though.

He might do - having to listen to moronic abuse when the team really needs some support is going to wear thin pretty quickly. 

To Remi Garde:

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark Cissokho

Westwood

Bacuna Gueye

Gil

Kozak Ayew

Subs: Sellars, Agbonlahor, Senderos, Sanchez, Hutton, Sinclair or Grealish

PLAY THIS TEAM FROM NOW ON PLEASE!

This team is no worse and actually has a lot more talent and potential than anything Sunderland, West Brom, Norwich or Bornemouth can play.

We have a squad comparable to Stoke and Swansea and should not be sitting on the bottom of the table with 1 win after half a season of football!

Whatever is happening is inexcusable and Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde who have been responsible for picking the team and motivating these players have failed miserably in their jobs and there is no getting around it!

This squad especially when Traore and Amavi were fit can be challenging teams like Crystal Palace and West Ham and player for player are no worse than Leicester who are playing out of their skins because of the influence of Claudio Ranieri.

So why are we in the position we are in now? Because of the decisions of Tim Sherwood and Remi Garde. Their inability to recognize and play to the squad’s strengths and motivate this group of players. Okore and Clark were forming an awesome partnership at CB until Tim Sherwood decided to bring in Micah Richards to not only replace Clark but give him the captaincy over Clark who seemed the obvious choice. Guzan was a good keeper until one mistake against ManCity and was not seen again for the rest of the season in favour of a player who was clearly passed his best. No wonder they have lost all confidence.

Cissokho and Richards are capable as full backs. And we have reasonable cover with Hutton and Bacuna. Our strengths are clearly the creativity of Carles Gil who needs to be playing in a creative role behind an intelligent striker like Libor Kozak. Gil needs a midfield behind him who can get stuck in and supply him and I think Gueye, Bacuna and Westwood are a reasonable trio who I can see working well together. With Bacuna we have a real threat too with his vision and ability to pick out passes. Traore is the other main threat we have in the squad. He is like no other player in the premier league and has the ability to cause any team problems. I cannot believe Sherwood and Garde have excluded him so many times considering the position we are in.

Since Garde has arrived there have been some small signs of improvement but clearly he has failed to get the most out of what we have. He continues to persist with Gestede despite some extremely poor performances. We look toothless in attack and Garde looks clueless about how to solve things. Gil has not been used effectively and Traore used only sparingly. Kozak completely ignored. It’s not good enough and with a better manager we would not be in this position. 

Edited by Michael118

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Whatever you think, the facts are that his record is virtually identical to Sherwood's. The main difference people point to is that he seems a more likeable character than Sherwood and speaks well in public.

Arguably the actual football we are seeing on the field us getting worse however.

That's not the main difference people point to, but it is a factor of course. The fact Garde is not a monumental arsehole will obviously mean people may give him the benefit of the doubt in certain situations.

"Arguably" being the word. I certainly don't think the football is worse than it was under Sherwood (this season)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't. 

Of course you don't.

Maybe we would have, but looking at one game in isolation isn't really the way to go about it. Swansea lost to League 2 opposition yesterday. Liverpool drew with League 2 opposition on Friday. It happens. It's no excuse, but it does.

Looking at our games overall, I think it is better than what Sherwood left us with but, like I said, still not good enough.

But it's all about opinions.

I think he is a poor manager. I do not think he is the main to rebuild us or bring back our former glories such that they were, however it would be a huge embarrassment for all at the club if he should walk now

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm just going to assume you completely forgot about Veretout which is why he's not even on the bench in that side.

Where does he play and what does he offer?  I can't put him in ahead of Gueye, Bacuna or Gil. I don't think he would be better than Westwood as a third midfiielder.

Maybe there is a spot for him on the bench because we lack midfield cover. But I think the bench is fairly strong and would have to drop Sinclair or Grealish who can be really effective in the right setup.

Â