The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair play to him for speaking up about the shambles that we've become, calling Randy out on it.

Very bold. He's possibly a dead man walking now mind, but thanks all the same.

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Yeah he has pretty much called the board out now.

He said he has already told them what changes he wants to make and his words "they know that let's see.."

Exactly what I feared, whether people rate him or not you always back your manager. This doesn't seem to be the case.

What's he said?  and where?  Linky? Articles etc? I'm curious :)

It's a shame things aren't working out a bit better for him on the pitch because he's certainly got the minimals. If he'd won a couple of games by now, maybe just had a bit more luck (or indeed gotten a bit more) we'd all be rightly fighting his corner.

As it is the apathy is palpable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair play to him for speaking up about the shambles that we've become, calling Randy out on it.

18 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Very clever what he's done today.

Even mentioning that he asked them to do it two weeks ago and still nothing.

wonder if he took advice from GT (from his Mk1 days for those old enough to remember what he did then)

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I really do worry if he gets sacked because I think we'll just end up with another Sherwood-esque chancer who's all about PASHUN and nothing else.

That's the problem, I would have no problem in sacking this guy..fine, I think it would be pointless at this point we might as well stick but fine.  Though I would only be fine with it if they had someone proper lined up, and this you can almost certainly be assured they won't have.

It is a worrying prospect, just going from one bad decision to another (maybe even worse again).

• Like 2

I really want Garde to do well at Villa. I was very excited when he arrived but accept that the results aren't good enough. 

However he must be given a fair chance. He's walked into a complete shambles with  players who either don't care or have limited ability and have zero confidence.

The worst part is that experienced players have let him down very badly. They should have been helping the new, younger players adjust but as it is they've helped destroy them with constant mistakes, lack of passion and not leading by example (Guzan, Lescott, Richardson, Gabby etc).

We're also in for a shock at the end of thee season as I know for a fact that a lot of the players signed in the Summer have release clauses in their contract if we get relegated. These are release clauses without financial triggers. I know Veretout, Armavi and Ayew have these and probably more. I also know that they were never looking at the likes of Charlie Austen but had three 'lower league' strikers that they were looking at (prior to Christmas, God knows what they are thinking now!)

I think the problem we have now is that no one will want to come here and why would they? Not only are we awful and 100% going down, the whole of the footballing world know that we are toxic. I don't see Garde being able to do anything that will help us until the summer when we've gone down and lower league players will want to come and play for us to try and win promotion and get to play in the premier league.

We should use this window just to get rid of the rot. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:
31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

26 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Yeah he has pretty much called the board out now.

He said he has already told them what changes he wants to make and his words "they know that let's see.."

Exactly what I feared, whether people rate him or not you always back your manager. This doesn't seem to be the case.

What's he said?  and where?  Linky? Articles etc? I'm curious [emoji4]

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-owner-randy-lerner-10714733

Randy Lerner is set to make a statement about

Aston Villa’s

season of shame after being urged by Remi Garde to speak out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Could post this in several topics, but I am going to drop it here and the relegation thread - it takes an analytical perspective on our predicament, and an interesting read for the anti-Garde amongst us, whilst also addressing the ongoing French recruitment and Sam Alladyce popular topics. 

Grim reading and even grimmer conclusion....

http://statsbomb.com/2016/01/how-bad-are-aston-villa/

For me this is spot-on analysis

I have little interest in whether Garde is better or worse than Sherwood. I do however buy into the point well-made in earlier posts, that initially it looked like the players were ok but Sherwood was a poor manager. Whereas now with a new manager in charge it seems to becoming clearer that the players are just not up to it.  Either way Sherwood had to go, if for no other reason than he oversaw the construction of the current squad

Garde's background is decent but in his time with us there is little evidence yet that he is the right man for the massive task ahead.  However there is some mitigation with the tools he has been given to work with - Guzan is clearly the worst keeper in the PL (but sadly the best keeper at AV),  Hutton, Richardson and Cissoko are well past their sell-by dates and easily the poorest full-back combinations in the league.  It is tragic luck that Amavi has such an extended injury.  Richards is one of the most athletically gifted players in the league but is neither a CB nor a FB, our holding midfielders are relatively lightweight and because our defence is so poor, our attacking midfielders are spending far more time defending (for which they are massively unsuited) than attacking. Up front we have no options.  Gestede is the poorest CF I've seen at VP, I'd rather have Jordan Bowery, Gabby doesn't score goals, Sinclair runs but offers little else, Ayew is the best of the bunch but is more a second striker than leader of the line.

Okore, Vertout, Amavi, Westwood, Sanchez and possiblly Gana, if they can all be persuaded to stay can form the basis of a new squad but 10-15 new players are needed.

Personally, I'll make my mind up at the end of the season whether Garde is the right man to entrust the crucial rebuilding task too - I hope that he is because we need some consistency if we are to be successful

I understand the anger surrounding the situation but personally the calls for Garde's head (beginning 5 games in) is short-sighted, ill-advised and does nothing at all to help the situation.  I will be getting behind him and looking again in the close season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Could post this in several topics, but I am going to drop it here and the relegation thread - it takes an analytical perspective on our predicament, and an interesting read for the anti-Garde amongst us, whilst also addressing the ongoing French recruitment and Sam Alladyce popular topics. 

Grim reading and even grimmer conclusion....

http://statsbomb.com/2016/01/how-bad-are-aston-villa/

A decent read but as bad as Guzan has been this season he has been our MVP and an integral part of keeping us up more than once during his time here which makes his drastic decline in the last 6-12 months even more frustrating.

Unfortunately, that was the only thing I disagreed with as everything else written about this shambolic club in that report was spot on.

My issue with all of this is that we were in a terrible situation. Hiring a guy that needs time was not the right strategy.  We didn't and still don't have a season for a new manager to implement his ideas and philosophy. We needed to hire someone to get us out of the mess in the short term. Now we are going to have to build from a league that is notoriously difficult to build any sort of team/squad in.

• Like 1

mm last time a manager spoke out against the club he was protecting his reputation, seems like Garde can do everything Tim did and not get the criticism include tap up in public and throw the players under the bus

he is actually the French combo of McLeish and Sherwood

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

My issue with all of this is that we were in a terrible situation. Hiring a guy that needs time was not the right strategy.  We didn't and still don't have a season for a new manager to implement his ideas and philosophy. We needed to hire someone to get us out of the mess in the short term. Now we are going to have to build from a league that is notoriously difficult to build any sort of team/squad in.

Yep, another case of the wrong man at the wrong time. No matter who is at the club, under Lerner, the decisions being made are wrong time and time again. From finances to management and recruitment. It all stems from the budget and having people here who just don't get it.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

My opinion is that we were down before Sherwood left - I don't believe that anyone could come in and deliver a quick fix. We need a complete overhaul.  15 out and 15 in minimum

Just now, VillaCas said:

My opinion is that we were down before Sherwood left - I don't believe that anyone could come in and deliver a quick fix. We need a complete overhaul.  15 out and 15 in minimum

You may be right. However we had plenty of time and points to at least make a good effort of it. We could definitely have gotten a manager to win at least 3 of the games Garde has been in charge of.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

mm last time a manager spoke out against the club he was protecting his reputation, seems like Garde can do everything Tim did and not get the criticism include tap up in public and throw the players under the bus

he is actually the French combo of McLeish and Sherwood

FFS, where do you get off?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

You may be right. However we had plenty of time and points to at least make a good effort of it. We could definitely have gotten a manager to win at least 3 of the games Garde has been in charge of.

Which manager would that have been?

30 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I really do worry if he gets sacked because I think we'll just end up with another Sherwood-esque chancer who's all about PASHUN and nothing else.

Ironic thing is we'll need a lot of that next year.

Yes we need good players but we'll also need to fight and match work rate of opposition teams like Rotherham and Huddersfield.

You see it in the cup and all the shocks e.g. did we match Wycombe's work rate at the weekend, no and they got a draw out of it. That will happen a lot next year if we don't have the right squad and manager combination, too many draws will derail a play off challenge.

Look at the Newcastle squad that blitzed the league...yes it had a lot of premier league players but it had people like Barton, Nolan, Taylor and Ameobi who relished the battle. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You see what you want to see, don't you? :D

All Garde has said is that he's being faced with questions he can't answer.

That's not even close to what Sherwood was saying.

You're inability to see anything bad said against Sherwood is getting embarrassing. I know you like to go against the crowd and hold an opposing view, but it's getting a bit cringeworthy.

Im just fighting the hypocrisy of these pages, didnt say Sherwood was a great manager at all but the abuse he gets compared to the current manager is a joke when he does the same "media tricks"

• Like 1

Â