The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

34 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

If Garde goes he goes he's done nothing to warrant support but and its a big but I don't think any other manager would've done much better with the dross that he's had to play. I just don't want a reprieve for these players we need a cull. Richards, Gabby. Bacuna for a start and anyone else who doesn't show the right attitude in training or around the club. Will a new manager do the usual fresh start for everyone crap??? 

That combined with the fact that Villa did nothing to support Remi in January means he gets a free pass for me.

Give him 11 players he wants with the desire to play for the shirt and then I'll judge him.

As for this season - the players have given up. Nobody can motivate them for the last few games. Get the season over with and sharpen the axe - I don't mind if we cull them all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

Regarding Pearson - Pat Murphy said on Five Live recently that Pearson's name was put to Lerner when replacing Sherwood and he wholeheartedly rejected the idea because he felt Pearson was 'toxic'.

Thank the f*ckin stars!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

For me pointless sacking now. Players are crap, team as a whole is crap, what's point of getting anyone in now? Might as well wait and see what happens with blose and Brighton and poach one of those two

I agree in some ways but if it is to be Black/Kmac in charge until the end of the season then it really doesn't matter.

The only way I can see it being of any real benefit getting rid of Garde now is if the man they want to replace him can come in straight away. That way it allows him 7 games to asses the squad with, given we are down, zero pressure on results.

I have thought for a while that as soon as relegation was confirmed Garde could well be gone and we are pretty much at that point now. We do have to also consider in all this that if Garde has decided he wants out or knows the club want him out come the end of the season then there is no incentive for him to hang around and I just don't see him wanting to.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Just been reading about Mourinho's pre-contract agreement with United, according to that report, May is the key month for player recruitment and getting deals started. I didn't realise that before - obviously a different ball game for United to Villa, but if true perhaps may be a reason that Remi gets the boot sooner than later if he is not going to be our manager next season.

In most professions, under-performers are summoned to their boss, written warnings are filed, reviews made and agreements put in place. The premier league footballer has his own way, it seems.

Reading the rumour of Garde's imminent sacking, the insider quoted a lack of morale.  None of this crap we watch each week should be about lack of morale.  We're not talking about a factory floor where motivation is key to productivity and staff retention - some of these feckless idiots get tens of thousands of pounds for working a 25 hour week.  They are supposedly doing something they love. Nowhere in the player's contracts will it state giving up is allowed at 2 - 0. Or if relegation looks likely.  Lack of morale is not an excuse to stop running, stop tracking back; you're getting paid handsomely to do a job: just do your job, or walk away.  I won't cut any professional player any slack.

I feel sorry for Garde.  Most of the time the manager takes the bullet, but for me, what we've seen this season rests with the players.  Bournemouth players are a great example of how doing your job properly wins you respect - and your Premier League status.

Bye-bye, Remi.  I hope our next manager is afforded the opportunity to pick a player worthy of their professional status. You need strength and fight in the Championship.,,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

One thing you can guarantee - based on past performance - is that if Villa sacked Garde early they would make a balls up of getting a decent replacement.

I'd be in agreement with this usually. However we now have people sitting on a football board who were not there before. We are also about to bring a head of football operations onto that board hopefully with some football nous.

I am not saying they will get the decision right as to who the next manager will be. We just have no evidence that those individuals will get it wrong.

For what it is worth given the choice Fox/Almstadt/Reilly choosing the next manager or Bernstein/Little then I'd choose the latter.

I am of course assuming Hollis is true to his word and that the football board will be making the football decisions.

Edited by markavfc40

47 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Garry Monk or Moyes would be my choice

Not sure what Monk has done to be bracketed with Moyes?

TBH unless there is a massive clearout nothing at all will change no matter who is the manager

Garry Monk or Moyes would be my choice

This. Or I would also like Rowett. I know it would be doing another McLeish but Rowett is actually a promising manager who supposedly supported Villa (he's never admitted it.)

I personally believe Moyes peak was Everton 6 years ago now. He was on a hiding to nothing at Utd admittedly. You also in my eyes can't count what he did 14 years ago at PNE as any gauge of his suitability. Plus he looks like grounds Keeper Willy from the Simpsons ;) but rather him than Bruce Hughton or Pearson. 

11 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Remi Garde is on the brink of being sacked by Aston Villa.

The Frenchman’s disastrous four-month reign at the Premier League’s bottom club is set to end in the next 48 hours as new chairman Steve Hollis prepares the club for life in the Championship next season.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands boss Garde has lost support in the boardroom and dressing room to such an extent that Hollis is coming under pressure to act now, rather than wait until the end of the campaign.

The Villans’ Under-21 coach Kevin MacDonald would take temporary charge of the first team until a permanent successor is found.

A Villa insider said: “Morale at the club could not be lower - and Garde’s demeanour is of a a dead man walking.

“He has hardly spoken to anyone at the training ground all week and it will be a relief to all concerned when the end finally comes.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-set-sack-remi-7591655

Hollis has already instigated a search for a British manager with a proven track record of getting teams promoted from the Championship.

Nigel Pearson, the former Leicester City boss, is the leading candidate.

After inspiring the Foxes’ incredible turnaround in form last season he left the club last summer. The team he built has kicked on to emerge as champions-elect.

Hull boss Steve Bruce is also on the short-list, but as a former manager of arch-rivals Birmingham City, the club’s hierarchy are mindful that his appointment could further alienate already angry fans.

Pearson has been waiting for the best route back into management and is certain to want some assurances about owner Randy Lerner’s commitment to the Villa cause.

Lerner has confirmed the club has been for sale.

Is he ready to commit to staying while Villa attempt to bounce back?

Former Villa midfielder and boss Brian Little has been brought in as an advisor and the club will lean on his expertise to find the right man.

kgface.gif

41 minutes ago, VillaIRE said:

I feel sorry for Garde.  Most of the time the manager takes the bullet, but for me, what we've seen this season rests with the players. 

The players have a big responsibility but it goes way deeper than that. If this was an isolated season I would be way more inclined to agree with you but this is pretty much the culmination of 6 years of struggle.

The club is rotten and that rot has stemmed from the top. As this is a thread around the manager then that is a great example of the lack of forward joined up thinking. Six years ago we went from O'Neill to Houllier. Chalk to cheese. We then went from Houllier to McLeish. Again chalk to cheese. We then bring in a promising young manager in Lambert but tie his hands behind his back in terms of recruitment. In Sherwood we then allow a guy who had never purchased a player before an input into spending over 50 million alongside a number of other faceless people who didn't sing from the same hymn sheet as him. Now we are at Garde and once again we went from chalk to cheese in terms of style of manager.

I agree the players in terms of effort have been a disgrace at times this season. More effort in some games could well have resulted in us picking up another handful of points but this is a very poor squad of players, lacking leaders and overall lacking any spine. We need to examine the reasons we have ended up with that squad and for me it is years of poor decision making above the manager.

We have had a huge overhaul in players a number of times over the last handful of years. We have had numerous managers. They are all partially responsible but in the bigger picture they are bit part players in why we are being relegated. The overall responsibility for that lies with the man at the top.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Regarding Pearson - Pat Murphy said on Five Live recently that Pearson's name was put to Lerner when replacing Sherwood and he wholeheartedly rejected the idea because he felt Pearson was 'toxic'.

pM3l9GQ.gif

Rowett or Moyes for me. Garde has had an horrific time here, I do feel sorry for him, the lack of backing in the winter was an absolute disgrace. But beyond that, and the fact that this squad is a giant turd, I'm looking for positives that tell me Garde will take us forward next season. Sadly, I see absolutely no positives at all, he can't solicit even a minor response out of this team and I personally expect better, I also think his tactics are far too conservative, we are absolutely impotent going forward and do not commit any where near enough bodies into the box, at the back, well, we're every bit a calamity as we were under Sherwood.

So on that basis I want Garde gone, I'm not going to say he's a terrible manager, but I do believe he's a terrible fit for us and the English game in general.

• Like 3

Not bad that Leicester team IMO. Wouldn't give a flying f what the managers like if he can build teams like that!

There are some things more important than winning a football match.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So he gets a free pass and you'll only judge him once he has 11 of his own players. 

The generosity towards this manager from some fans is amazing. 

Yeah god forbid fans be sympathetic and generous to a manager who has clearly been shafted by the board and this horrible squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah god forbid fans be sympathetic and generous to a manager who has clearly been shafted by the board and this horrible squad.

There's being sympathetic and then there's being a charity. 

I'm sympathetic towards his situation but he can't just lose every game and keep getting paid large amount of money. That's crazy.

Edited by DCJonah

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Rowett or Moyes for me. Garde has had an horrific time here, I do feel sorry for him, the lack of backing in the winter was an absolute disgrace. But beyond that, and the fact that this squad is a giant turd, I'm looking for positives that tell me Garde will take us forward next season. Sadly, I see absolutely no positives at all, he can't solicit even a minor response out of this team and I personally expect better, I also think his tactics are far too conservative, we are absolutely impotent going forward and do not commit any where near enough bodies into the box, at the back, well, we're every bit a calamity as we were under Sherwood.

So on that basis I want Garde gone, I'm not going to say he's a terrible manager, but I do believe he's a terrible fit for us and the English game in general.

Agree with this. I do think he can come back to England in a few years and be a success actually but we're a basket case club currently. It would've been better appointing him around the time we got in Lambert.

More I think about it more firing him during this break makes sense.

As things stand the question we all have to ask yourselves is....do you honestly believe at this time next year we'll be in play off zone as a minimum with Garde as manager.

I honestly think not.

Of course there's no guarentee with someone else but I've always thought we'd stand a better chance with a manager with a working knowledge down there. We can argue all day long about that but it's purely my gut instinct.

Make a change now and instead of wasting pre season and even a few games next year judging the squad, the new manager can see for himself in the final 7 games what a hopeless squad this is, decide the few he wants to keep next year, formulate a playing system and generally just get his feet under the table here.

The worst thing we can do is dither and fudge another managerial decision.

You also have to consider....does Remi Garde actually want to be here? I've seen little in his press conferences since January 31st to indicate this so would imagine Hollis doing his review has picked up the vibe there.

• Like 1

Â