The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

For me he is the worst one we have had in my lifetime. He has nothing about him what so ever. I don't want him here next season, I wouldn't be bothered if he buggered off before the next game to be honest

Agreed. I genuinely do not see what positives he brings in any way.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed. I genuinely do not see what positives he brings in any way.

his chief weapon are surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among his chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a near fanatical devotion to the Pope!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Regardless of what backing the board give I think it's critical that there's a manager in place who wants to shake things up and get the parasites out of the club.

I totally agree and I think Garde has tried to do that but is hamstrung as he hasn't any other options so has to play the same ones over and over. That's why I said if they weren't going to back him they should've got some one in to get the best out of the crap we've got instead of trying to build and upsetting them. The only reason I want Garde to stay is I think he knows who he has to get rid of. I don't want a new manager coming in and giving the crap another chance. Let's get them out ASAP and get some solid foundations built.

• Like 3

yes we have a poor squad but thats NO excuse for job Garde has done. He is a highly paid professional football manager not a guy coming out of college on work experience. He has presided over some of worst performances in Villa history and his record is eerily similar to another highly rated French coach who was crap in England in Alain Perrin

48 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yes we have a poor squad but thats NO excuse for job Garde has done. He is a highly paid professional football manager not a guy coming out of college on work experience. He has presided over some of worst performances in Villa history and his record is eerily similar to another highly rated French coach who was crap in England in Alain Perrin

Eerily similar? did the record have a French accent?

Funnily enough Perrin's next two seasons were a French Cup with Sochaux then a Ligue 1 title and French cup with Lyon.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Based on what exactly? It's not as if things were even close to rosy when he came in.

Ok then so what happens if nothing changes at the top and the next manager fails? Are we just going to keep through sacking managers and pretending that the problems don't go deeper?

Things weren't rosy when he came in, but iMO he has made it worse than it was. I see nothing in Garde at all, he cannot motivate, he is totally uninspiring, he looks lost and I have no idea at all what he is trying to do. The performances have been getting worse and he does the same things that Sherwood used to get slaughtered for week in week out but for some reason seems to get sympathy and has been given a free pass despite that fact he is abysmal in almost every aspect of management. He has been a dreadful appointment and IMO was appointed for totally the wrong reasons. I don;t blame him for taking the job but he should have been nowhere near the managerial shortlist in the first place.

Name a manager that has been sacked, replaced without ever bringing in any of his own players? not even a fricking loan signing.

We've been down this road time and time again. You only have to watch a game to see these players have given up, and are not bothered. Whichever manager is in the dugout.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BOF said:

Spurs mate of mine said they were well below par, looked tired and "had it not been for the free pass that is Aston Villa" they would probably not have won the game :(

My friend who's a Spurs ST holder said the same. In fact the argument amongst the Spurs fans is that they should have played the full team against Dortmund and rested them against Villa.

The fact that RG is not preparing for next season by starting the youngsters says to me he is off in the summer. Richards, Okore, Gil, Ayew, Sinclair and Lescott will be off in the summer, so what is the point in playing them now. We gain nothing from them being on the pitch. 

Give these kids experience and a taste of the premier league. Let them play against the likes of Chelsea. What do we have to lose? We are going down anyway, we lose every week anyway.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If he buggered off before the next game, then we'd get another manager in, they would lose the next 5 games because we have one of the worst squads in the history of the league and you'd be saying exactly the same thing about the next bloke, whether it be Pep Guardiola or Gary Megson. It doesn't matter.

No Stevo, I genuinely do not think Garde has any redeemable qualities at all other than seeming like a nice bloke. I do not want him here, I do not trust him or his back room staff to get any performance from this team or any new potential team in the summer. I know you disagree with this and that's fine but for me he is not the man for this job or the man for next season in the championship. I don't rate him at all. That's how I feel about him and I think the troubles at the club have masked the fact that he really isn't very good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

No Stevo, I genuinely do not think Garde has any redeemable qualities at all other than seeming like a nice bloke. I do not want him here, I do not trust him or his back room staff to get any performance from this team or any new potential team in the summer. I know you disagree with this and that's fine but for me he is not the man for this job or the man for next season in the championship. I don't rate him at all. That's how I feel about him and I think the troubles at the club have masked the fact that he really isn't very good.

I think you've missed my point.

26 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

The fact that RG is not preparing for next season by starting the youngsters says to me he is off in the summer. Richards, Okore, Gil, Ayew, Sinclair and Lescott will be off in the summer, so what is the point in playing them now. We gain nothing from them being on the pitch. 

Give these kids experience and a taste of the premier league. Let them play against the likes of Chelsea. What do we have to lose? We are going down anyway, we lose every week anyway.

I don't think it means that at all.  For me, he seems to be playing the supposedly 'best', experienced players while we still have a theoretical chance of survival.  He doesn't want to be seen as giving up.  And he has said before that the kids aren't ready to step up otherwise he would be playing more of them.  

So I can understand that, but FWIW I'd be chucking a few more kids in.  It was great to see Green showing a bit of hunger and we now really have nothing to lose as you say.

• Like 1

I don't want a team full of U21s, in case that's how it came across.  I do think we could have used more than we have done.  Or certainly the best 2 or 3 a lot more than we have.  But we only have to look back at the days when we had the likes of Bannan, Herd, Albrighton and Clark in the side as fresh faced youngsters getting battered every week.  There's a balance to be struck and I don't think he has quite struck it, especially given the scale of opportunity he has had based on the atrocious performances from the senior players who quite bafflingly seem to be keeping their place based on squad status, because it's certainly not on merit.  It's just a minor quibble because I don't for a second think it would have improved our prospects this season.  We're as gone as gone can be.

I think it is on merit though.

As shocking as our senior players have been, most of them are still the best we have in their respective positions. It's one of many reasons why it's so hard to manage this club, because the alternatives are even worse than the first choices.

Would you really want to throw a 19 year old into the centre of our defence, for example, to drop lescott? It would destroy the poor lad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it is on merit though.

As shocking as our senior players have been, most of them are still the best we have in their respective positions. It's one of many reasons why it's so hard to manage this club, because the alternatives are even worse than the first choices.

Would you really want to throw a 19 year old into the centre of our defence, for example, to drop lescott? It would destroy the poor lad.

But it shouldn't though, should it ?

A good manager would sit down with his young prospects and explain to them that they are being given a chance to prove themselves for next season.

A good manager would explain that they will make mistakes and may well be on the end of some thrashings.

But a good manager would also explain that they are not to blame for the situation we are in and will learn massively from playing,and (probably) making some mistakes, and its good preparation for next season.

A good manager would explain that fans will not be on their backs as long as they are seen to be trying and playing for the team and the club.

A good manager would do all these things, if he has faith in the youngsters that he thinks can make the step up.

Â