The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We were losing by the odd goal under sherwood......we are now getting pummelled under Garde.

I'm not trying to make a case of who is the worst or better, I can't see the point.

from what I have seen, its got gradually worse.

I would not want to make a distinction between the two, its all too much of a muchness for me.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, I'll just have to try and take some comfort from the fact, as we go down to relegation with some of the (if not simply the) worst records ever seen from a Villa squad in modern times, that our manager "in some way knows what he's doing".

Let's hope the new guys who have been brought in to try and sort out the club will see a little more clearly that Garde is simply not the manager for Villa in our current state, however well he presents before and after the games. It's what happens during the 90 minutes that matters.

If that's all you've taken from what I've said today I don't know what else I can say. You have your standpoint. That's fine.

And can we pack this shit implying the only reason anyone likes Garde is because of how he presents himself in please? Nobody supports him just because of the way he acts, and I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing it being slyly (and not so slyly) suggested.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, London Villa said:

At the ned of the day - It ain't good when people are arguing about who is shittest.

Its like fighting over who has the worst STD.

precisely

Thing about Sherwood and Garde is that while it's quite clear that Sherwood is a really shit manager (in fact, he isn't even a manager full stop) I find it hard to believe that Garde is a bad manager. Wrong appointment for the club perhaps (I'd disagree though) but not a shit manager.

• Like 2

The one thing very noticeable yesterday and have to say the last few weeks is the lack of pressing from us when the opposition have the ball?  Usually one our players goes towards a player then just points to another to either support him or pick up someone else.  However, watching Spurs yesterday, Liverpool and Man City recently, they all hunt in packs!  2/3 players closing us down very quickly in an attempt to win it back.  Now whether it be lack of fitness, lack of quality or additionally, lack of awareness, I would expect us to be doing this?  It appears Garde is setting us up better but certain basics like this appear to be missing still?  The worry for me now is if he stays would he go for players he may know/trust on the continent, whereby pressing quickly doesn't come natural?  We will certainly need to work hard and press in the Championship that's for sure and truly believe now that we need a new man at the helm!  Just don't want the club to sack him due to the costs involved and looking bad to other potential managers.  Kind of hope he walks at the end of the season, but with my best wishes.

Edited by ferguson1

I just don't get why everyone is absolving Garde of all blame. I agree he inherited a terrible squad and some key injuries really wiped out our pathetic hopes of staying.

But he acts like this squad isn't good enough and lacks experience or ability, now he's probably right to an extent but I don't think the squad is as bad as he makes out, but that's an opinion. But under Garde we wouldn't beat a Championship or even League One side the way we are playing, is that good enough? Is that acceptable to everyone?

There is enough experience and ability in that squad to put up a better fight of it than we are, he has not managed to change anything, he has not got one single player playing for him, showing pride. I used to believe to some extent in Gil, Ayew, Grealish, Vertout, Gana and Okore now I wouldn't back any of them to show any kind of form. I even thought Gestede would head some goals, not anymore. Westwood was a consistently average midfielder who did a job, now he is consistently shite.

He has a ready made excuse that he wheels out every week, and we just seem to lap it up.

Gabby was a 20 goal a season striker till Garde got hold of him! (lulz)

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I find it hard to believe that Garde is a bad manager.

For me he is the worst one we have had in my lifetime. He has nothing about him what so ever. I don't want him here next season, I wouldn't be bothered if he buggered off before the next game to be honest

• Like 4

Garde may not be a bad manager in general, he's just not suited for us. He looks a broken man already. He can't get any reaction out of the players. 

I hope he's sacked at the end of the season, as I don't think he has it in him to get us promoted next year, especially if most of the current squad remains here. 

15 minutes ago, KHV said:

For me he is the worst one we have had in my lifetime. He has nothing about him what so ever. I don't want him here next season, I wouldn't be bothered if he buggered off before the next game to be honest

Based on what exactly? It's not as if things were even close to rosy when he came in.

Garde may not be a bad manager in general, he's just not suited for us. He looks a broken man already. He can't get any reaction out of the players. 

I hope he's sacked at the end of the season, as I don't think he has it in him to get us promoted next year, especially if most of the current squad remains here. 

Ok then so what happens if nothing changes at the top and the next manager fails? Are we just going to keep through sacking managers and pretending that the problems don't go deeper?

Edited by Mantis

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Ok then so what happens if nothing changes at the top and the next manager fails? Are we just going to keep through sacking managers and pretending that the problems don't go deeper?

So we stay with a manager that can't get anything out of the players? Its a gamble but i've seen nothing to suggest that Garde is the man for the job. Its stick or twist with a shitty hand isn't it? I'd always take the gamble

I refuse to accept we are playing to our maximum potential. I know we're shit, but we're playing to a whole new level of shit. 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:
13 minutes ago, Xela said:

So we stay with a manager that can't get anything out of the players? Its a gamble but i've seen nothing to suggest that Garde is the man for the job. Its stick or twist with a shitty hand isn't it? I'd always take the gamble

I refuse to accept we are playing to our maximum potential. I know we're shit, but we're playing to a whole new level of shit. 

Because not only do I think things wouldn't improve significantly under another manager but also that nobody better would touch us with a barge pole right now.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Garde has inherited a shit squad and has been given nothing by the club 

We were relegated before he come to the club and the board the shit players and Sherwood are to blame

The play won't get any better as the season is coming to a close. The Lescott's, Richards and co won't be coming with us, so why give a shit.

As for some claiming Garde is not the man for the job. For me he certainly knows what he is doing, its just plain obvious half the players have give up listening. Anyone at the game yesterday could see him screaming at the players to press and get in the box, The only guy listening was Gestede, most of the others were not moving. I think this is why he brought Green on, cause he thought he might actually get a response to his orders.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Results wise, it's hard to disagree.

I maintain we look a better side than we ever did under Sherwood in basic play. That doesn't change the fact we still aren't winning games, and we don't score and we concede silly goals. But I think the team now actually looks a bit more professional and bit more well drilled in other respects. I think that shows he has something about him. He has an idea of how to play, and he manages to get some of it out of the squad, but they simply can't do all of it. The few games, for me, where we had a bit of a run he managed to get closer to that plan and we did better. Then it fell apart and there's no recovery.

He's the opposite to Sherwood, imo, who admitted he didn't really what he was doing and you could see it in the team, especially as the wheels fell off. His success seemed to be based on pure adrenaline, which works for a while but then putters out. I think the players liked him as a bit of a lad but it was never going to last, and his leaving combined with a different (in my view, long term better) personality and the team just being quite weak in many ways has lead to a malaise in the squad that's made the hole we can't get out of. A vicious circle.

Best post for a long time

We have some really crap players. No manager in this world would be able to get Gestede to be a complete CF. We have a squad that's just randomly picked players without any idea how to build a team or a pattern of play. None of these are Garde's fault as its what he inherited and he was denied the opportunity to make his mark on it in January. I don't know if he is the right manager for us but any manager would've struggled with this lot. We got on a decent run in January but then something happened and since Liverpool its been awful. If the board wasn't going to back him in January they should've got a manager who wouldn't upset the prima donna players and just tried to grind out results but once they picked Garde who I think given time will get it right they should've backed him to turn it around. 

1 minute ago, dn1982 said:

We have some really crap players. No manager in this world would be able to get Gestede to be a complete CF. We have a squad that's just randomly picked players without any idea how to build a team or a pattern of play. None of these are Garde's fault as its what he inherited and he was denied the opportunity to make his mark on it in January. I don't know if he is the right manager for us but any manager would've struggled with this lot. We got on a decent run in January but then something happened and since Liverpool its been awful. If the board wasn't going to back him in January they should've got a manager who wouldn't upset the prima donna players and just tried to grind out results but once they picked Garde who I think given time will get it right they should've backed him to turn it around. 

Regardless of what backing the board give I think it's critical that there's a manager in place who wants to shake things up and get the parasites out of the club.

Â