The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 hours ago, Godders said:

The problem with Villa is they always try and walk it into the net.

The problem is we have no midfielders who are confident enough to get forward and support the strikers and we have no one to play beside Kozak or Gestede. So it's Kozak or Gestede vs 3 or 4 defenders every time we attack. The ball goes in and straight back out. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. The midfield slowly lose confidence in what's ahead of them and start shooting from distance. We desperately need a partner for Kozak and an attacking midfielder willing to get forward as another option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

We don't know if he has or hasn't been backed this window. You can try for good players but if they won't sign until the last minute because they're waiting for better offers, or clubs won't accept offers until then, or players simply won't come because they believe we're already relegated, what can you do? We have to sign the right players, I'd rather sign no one at all than a handful of last resorts.

Exactly this.

What's the point of bringing players in for the sake of it, & if they're not going to fit in or improve the team??

If we cant get the right player then don't get anyone at all, wasn't that timmys downfall in the summer?

I was really unsure about Garde around Christmas time, I was also at Wycombe away and was having serious doubts about him at that point. However, I am starting to like his methods and the way he conducts himself. He may not wave his arms around like Tim as much or come across so well in the media but his football philosophy appears to be finally rubbing off on the players.  I would be more than happy now for Garde to lead us next season and see how it goes!  Maybe he just needed time and some of us (me included) needed patience? He may also turn some of the playing rabble into half decent players if they are willing to listen and learn from him!

• Like 2

nice to see we actually seem to have got one signing most people like, Garde, IMO he is the most important person for us, both now and in the future, Even if i tried I probably couldn't find anything to fault him with either as a manager or in the way he acts off the pitch, atleast nothing that had any major impact in the grand scheme of things.

If he can keep it up, I hope he stays for a long while. Sure we might lose a game or two, but there is no "we go again" or an endless flow of bullshit that only a Sherwood could produce. Refreshing to say the least

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KSV said:

We needed to bring him in the summer. His style of management takes time. Wrong to bring him in so late. Sadly. 

Yeah - sad to think what might have been.  If he'd had this squad from the start I feel sure we'd be sitting somewhere at the 12th-15th level many of us expected before the season started.  

On 27/01/2016 at 23:17, a m ole said:

We don't know if he has or hasn't been backed this window. You can try for good players but if they won't sign until the last minute because they're waiting for better offers, or clubs won't accept offers until then, or players simply won't come because they believe we're already relegated, what can you do? We have to sign the right players, I'd rather sign no one at all than a handful of last resorts.

He did not get the backing he should have got.

We desperately need a goalkeeper and a striker and the club should have done whatever it takes to sign these 2 players.Whatever it takes.

We need other players as well BUT a striker and a goalkeeper should have been bought no matter what.As usual the club is not looking any further ahead than the tip of its nose.I fear that the way this club has been run in the past ( and continues to be run ) we will end up in a hole that is too deep to get out of. 

Garde knew that relegation could happen this season when he took the job, so I don;t think he can be too frustrated with the board this window given our position. I imagine he would only walk in the summer if he was not allowed to buy the players he needs to do his job - but the board have come out and said that their number one priority is to keep the manager and have stability - so I'll take them at face value on that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

He did not get the backing he should have got.

We desperately need a goalkeeper and a striker and the club should have done whatever it takes to sign these 2 players.Whatever it takes.

We need other players as well BUT a striker and a goalkeeper should have been bought no matter what.As usual the club is not looking any further ahead than the tip of its nose.I fear that the way this club has been run in the past ( and continues to be run ) we will end up in a hole that is too deep to get out of. 

You can't force people to sign for a football club, we are better off waiting until the summer before doing any recruitment, we have nothing to offer at all in January to any potential players

• Like 1

I like Garde.  Not convinced as a manager he is right for us in terms of being able to build a squad to compete in the championship but I like him as a person.  He speaks very well, articulate ,  thoughtful and very intelligent.  Nice bloke.  

He has been shit on from a great height.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I like Garde.  Not convinced as a manager he is right for us in terms of being able to build a squad to compete in the championship but I like him as a person.  He speaks very well, articulate ,  thoughtful and very intelligent.  Nice bloke.  

He has been shit on from a great height.

I don't think he has been

Garde took on a very hard job, he inherited an unbalanced team lacking in quality and who were at the time in an absolute mess. 

Although I'm disappointment he didn't deliver the necessary immediate impact to turn our fortunes around (it's a lot to ask and maybe unrealistic to ask). I do think he's now doing a pretty decent job here, he has made us much more solid, is now making the right decisions in terms of selection and there's a little bit more confidence in our play (just not enough quality in the final third). 

However, his very hard job has been made even harder by this utterly disgraceful board, the worst board we've had in modern history. I do feel very sorry for him, there's absolutely no way he'll have gone into this window not wanting several players to be signed. There's only one logical explanation for what we've had to endure this month and that is simply that Lerner has turned the taps off, has accepted our fate and simply wants to accelerate it rather than giving us a fighting chance. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Garde's brief from lerner: "Can you please try to turn this mess of a club around. It is going to be tough to survive so relegation is most likely. If this happens please get the club straight back into the premier league the following season. I dont really give a shit about the club so if you have any concerns along the way dont bother contacting me. Oh I almost forgot. You also wont be able to spend a dollar to achieve this. Good luck."

As far as I can see we have tried to address the problems we have or some of them anyway. We have tried to sign Kalinic but for some unknown reason he can't at the minute get a work permit. We have tried for Debuchy and Remy on loan. These deals may still happen but where do you draw the line on how far down a list you go when in our position? We need top class to have a chance of staying up anything less would be futile and a waste of money. I can live without us getting a GK and a RB for now but for shear entertainment value we need a goalscorer so this is the only area I'd push the boat out for. Bunn and Richards can cover the other 2 positions but we don't have any form of striker. I'd even sue Fletcher from Sunderland if he's available. I think Garde has been backed but he knows in our position it'll go to the wire trying to get the players he wants. 

Â