The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The players he has inherited are simply not good enough

They're not, we were always going down this season, IMO. But as bad as they are, he manages to make them look worse and worse each week. It's mostly confidence, but at absolute best, Garde has had no impact, and arguably he's making things worse.

• Like 1

You wonder what the tipping point is with Garde and the board...if there is one. There was for Sherwood and Lambert (eventually).

How long can he get away without winning  a game....could he survive Wycombe knocking us out in the replay?

5 minutes ago, villarocker said:

It's not Garde's fault that he's not up to this challenge. Fox and Co are trying to do a poundland version of Newcastle, who tried to do a Home Bargains version of Arsenal. 

I don't think anyone can better that .....very very true imo

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

You wonder what the tipping point is with Garde and the board...if there is one. There was for Sherwood and Lambert (eventually).

How long can he get away without winning  a game....could he survive Wycombe knocking us out in the replay?

Personally I think he will survive this season, pretty much no matter what. 

I mean if we don't win another game then it might change things, but unless he walks out, he won't be sacked IMO. 

Sadly it does look like we found another dud (still not 100% given up on him)

Gotta hand it to the people who recruits our managers, they are consistent if nothing else

Sherwood - 3 wins and a draw in 12 games.

Garde - 5 draws in 10 games. 

I was fully for Garde, in fact I said at the time I needed him to keep my interest and excitement about football and villa. 

In hindsight and I fully accept it couldn't happen, because the crowd would turn and we'd still be deluded about a different manager making a difference, but we should have just kept with Sherwood. Before people jump, I'm not saying he'd have done better, there's no doubt we'd have been relegated as an embarrassment under that guy. But we then could have assessed our situation in the summer and gone for a manager, who could get us promoted and survive, before doing like Leicester, palace, stoke and Southampton and then looking to move on. 

Instead we've picked a manager to try and save us, whose failed miserably, and look like giving him the chance to get us back up regardless of what happens. 

I'm starting to think this is another club decision that's going to set us further back. 

• Like 2

Just now, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

I dont get the hate he gets. He can only deal with the players he has.

And these players aren't good enough to beat a League 2 side? They've already won a PL game this season.

The last 4 games have shown Garde up. 4 piss easy games and he's **** them all up. Well, Newcastle away is a ok point, I suppose.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

I dont get the hate he gets. He can only deal with the players he has. Half of them seem to be sulking that sherwood got the sack (grealish a key example), and the rest of them arent good enough. 

The foreign players we signed in the summer, who seem to be the focus of the negative comments on here around our transfer policy are actually the only ones putting effort in and looking like they can do something. The problems at this club run far deeper than Remi Garde. There is a rotten, cant be bothered culture that is ingrained in players who have been here far too long to care anymore because they know the mentality of the senior members of the board far too well. 

There is no easy answer to fix this club, we cant dictate when or if Randy will sell the club. But a good start would be to get rid of the deadwood who couldnt care less about our predicament, and any of them who stay need a manager who will show them that he isnt afraid to drop them (Gabby). For what its worth, i think Remi is the only manager of Lerners time here that i would trust to have this attitude and take charge. He may not come across publicly as someone who will shout and rage, but i think we started to see glimpses of that on the sideline today.  Long term i still see him as someone who will improve us and someone who will choose very carefully players with the right attitude. 

But nothing can excuse the use of his dodgy substitutes and line-ups. He lost me when he didn't bring Adama on vs Newcastle until 3 minutes to go.

And if players are sulking (which I think you identify correctly) it's Remi's job to turn it around, which he hasn't. 

Edited by supernova26

Â