Demitri_C

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Didn't KMac sort of flame out a while back? Surprised he's still around the club.

Like Casper the friendly ghost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Can’t blame KMac, he picked a team that Steve Bruce would have picked which is logical given that they will have been drilled in that system and he only had a few days taking training.

The new man will need time to unpick Bruce’s ‘tactics’ and instill a new way of playing.

I am sure Bruce had no system

14 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Can’t blame KMac, he picked a team that Steve Bruce would have picked which is logical given that they will have been drilled in that system and he only had a few days taking training.

Remember when he took over after Sherwood was sacked? Didn't he even admit he'd phoned Sherwood to ask for advice? :lol:

19 hours ago, maqroll said:

Didn't KMac sort of flame out a while back? Surprised he's still around the club.

He actually left to manage Swindon in 2013 but they lost in the play offs and he only lasted a few months. Can't remember how he ended up here.

He's obviously here as his record at youth level is more than fine (although those bullying allegations a while ago were worrying, I assume nothing came from that?) but yeah next time we don't have a manager I'd prefer Delaney to be given a game or two as he's been in our YOuth set up a while now and is doing well coaching the under 23s.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Does his approach as caretaker reflect in any way his approach at our Academy ? 

If it does, I’m not at all sure I’m keen on him staying.

Bannan, Cahill, Weimann, Fonz, Bannan, Davis, Gabby, Albrighton, Jack plus countless others I've forgotten all come through under his watch.

The problem is when they get to the first team and can't perform for whatever reason. Many have then gone on and done well for plenty of other clubs.

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bannan, Cahill, Weimann, Fonz, Bannan, Davis, Gabby, Albrighton, Jack plus countless others I've forgotten all come through under his watch.

The problem is when they get to the first team and can't perform for whatever reason. Many have then gone on and done well for plenty of other clubs.

I know who has come through. And over what period. I don’t know who hasn’t though.

And as I say, I don’t think much of him from what I’ve seen.

Considering that we’ve essentially let go of a dozen members of staff (Bruce and his team and the seven the week or so before that), I’d like to think that if there was anything more to the bullying story that the club would have taken the opportunity to let him go too.

• Like 1

I blame Kmac for his team selection and for following Bruce's footsteps. We have the most attacking quality in the Championship and what do we do? We play one forward up front. On the wings we play a right back and a central midfielder. Of course we wont create or score if we leave all our attacking players on the bench. Look at Man C, they have four at the back, then two of three midfielders beeing attacking midfielders and the three forwards. Thats five attacking players on the pitch. With the quality in our side we should be the Man C of the Championship, and what do we do? We leave all attacking players on the bench and play with one forward. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He actually left to manage Swindon in 2013 but they lost in the play offs and he only lasted a few months. Can't remember how he ended up here.

He's obviously here as his record at youth level is more than fine (although those bullying allegations a while ago were worrying, I assume nothing came from that?) but yeah next time we don't have a manager I'd prefer Delaney to be given a game or two as he's been in our YOuth set up a while now and is doing well coaching the under 23s.

I thought he left Villa when he didnt get the full time job in 2010. Think then he was committed but since then he has done shocking as caretaker to point of not caring with the team selections

On 07/10/2018 at 13:30, VillaChris said:

There's only two Barry Bannan's, Two Barry Bannan's

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@OutByEaster?- thanks, most interesting ?

Ive watched a bit of the reserves over the years, but not enough to make that judgment. And we certainly have produced our fair share in that time.

Im pleased to hear the dogs dinner he has repeatedly made of the first team is an anomaly ! I will leave him be !

• Like 1

Whilst I have no interest in him being the manager and my knowledge of the reserves style of play is limited, surely it's incredibly unfair to judge him on his first team 'record' at all.

He comes in when we're at such a low ebb the previous manager has had to be sacked, he's often only had two or three days notice to prepare a team or check out the opposition, he rarely has a competent support team (as all backroom staff have also left) and the players are over the place with the upheaval. He then gets zero future with them to set about righting any wrongs. It's called a caretaker role as it's impossible to even call it an intrim role. Basically he 'caretakes' by telling the players to do what they've been doing all season until the new guy comes in.

I don't think it's fair to judge his ability, or lack thereof, based on a caretaker role. His stats read P8 W2 D2 L4 in his three stints as 'manager'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've watched about fourteen years of reserve football, most of it under the direction of Kevin MacDonald. It's almost always been a delight; a structured, free flowing, attacking, spirited football that's often been an antidote to the pain of watching the first team.

I've seen youngsters develop confidence and a winning mentality and watched those youngster pick up trophies. Like any human being doing a job he has flaws, and he's been under a cloud on the basis of those flaws at times, the line between bully and old school sergeant major is a fine one. But the football? The football's been a joy.

He's an excellent youth coach, one that successive owners have had the good sense to keep on, he's not a good manager of senior players and he's both a perfect and terrible caretaker manager, but please don't judge his philosophy on the game from the very occasional times he's stood in as babysitter to broken first teams.

This is great context, thank you.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst I have no interest in him being the manager and my knowledge of the reserves style of play is limited, surely it's incredibly unfair to judge him on his first team 'record' at all.

He comes in when we're at such a low ebb the previous manager has had to be sacked, he's often only had two or three days notice to prepare a team or check out the opposition, he rarely has a competent support team (as all backroom staff have also left) and the players are over the place with the upheaval. He then gets zero future with them to set about righting any wrongs. It's called a caretaker role as it's impossible to even call it an intrim role. Basically he 'caretakes' by telling the players to do what they've been doing all season until the new guy comes in.

I don't think it's fair to judge his ability, or lack thereof, based on a caretaker role. His stats read P8 W2 D2 L4 in his three stints as 'manager'.

The point was each time he’s done it he’s looked woeful......the last game was dreadful selection, dreadful tactics, performance. There are plenty of examples where someone steps in and gets a good performance.

Thats why I asked the question, and it was interesting and heartening to get @OutByEaster?reply ?

He has a cushy job and knows his place. A train wreck whenever he has stepped up to be caretaker, and I've always found his attitude to be a bit shocking when he has been caretaker, basically amounts to a massive shoulder shrug and I didn't like his gushing tribute to Bruce last week.

That said, he has done a pretty good job at youth level, we've always had fairly successful youth teams whilst he has been here and it's not really his fault that not many youth player have stepped up to the first team. I don't really see the argument for getting rid of him.

Â