-----------------Gil/Grealish--------------

-------------Ayew--------Gestede-----

------------------Guzan----------

Bacuna----Richards--Okore----Amavi

------------------Sanchez----------------

-----------Gana---------Veretout------

Would play Gabby ahead of Gestede there.

• Like 1

------------------Guzan----------

Bacuna----Richards--Okore----Amavi

------------------Sanchez----------------

-----------Gana---------Veretout------

Would play Gabby ahead of Gestede there.

I did just think that to myself.  Without the crosses coming in Rudy is useless.

• Like 1

While we're waiting...

One of the really interesting things over the first couple of weeks of the new manager will be to see who he fancies.  I got the feeling Tim was shutting out the players he supposedly 'didn't buy' and sticking overly long with his choices in order to prove his point (much as Moaninho does).  From that Mail article a while back, Sherwood's picks were Richards, Lescott, Gestede and Gana - all have played the majority of games.

The new manager knows this is it for the squad for the next few months so will only pick on form (and formation) without any baggage.  There are no injuries so we should hopefully see a bit more from those who've only been bit part players so far.  I don't think we'll see Lescott for a while, Gestede as a plan B (when we actually play to his strengths), etc.  Ilori seems £1m flushed down the bog  so far - how can he not be fit after 12 weeks?

Anyway - I'm again excited about the possibilities.

What happens if the new man comes in and plays the same players that Sherwood had, with the same results? What next? It could be possible that the new signings are not good enough and will contribute to our downfall via poor performance. I think it would be wrong of everyone to assume that these players are all going to suddenly become excellent and shoot us up the league. They may yet turn out to be duds although, I hope they aren't.

Well, I can safely say he won't.  Tim's back four (or three) was never established - part of the reason I think Guzan's had such a shit season. I think only Richards has played every game? And Lescott way too many.

Midfield - even worse.  I mean - Clark FFS.

But if the new man comes in, we play sensible formations, players in their best positions, use sensible subs and tactics appropriate to the opposition and state of the game - if, after that, we continue to lose then, yes I'll accept they're duds and we'll go down.  I really don't expect us to be excellent and shoot up the league, but I do think we're better than rock bottom and there is faint hope that we can get out of this.  Sherwood 'managed' this squad woefully.

Its a good question though.......would you wait 3 weeks for Moyes ? - I think I would.

But its going to be Allardyce all over again - we will appoint a new bloke - Moyes will get sacked a few days later - and end up at Newcastle !

Can anyone confirm Moyes contact situation I heard it only runs until the end of the current season ?

There is no guarantee that Sociedad will lose their next three games nor that Moyes would be sacked even if they do. Even if we assume that he would, I'd still stand by what I said. Any new manager needs as much time as possible becoming acquainted with the team and attempting to install his ideas. I like Moyes, upon reflection he was my preferred candidate but I think it's time to move on.

Going down this year is a real prospect, so... are we saying so long as the bloke puts up a good fight and gives a passable impression of knowing what he's doing, we'll stick with him in the Championship?

Managers have taken over clubs later than this in a lot worse positions and kept teams up. Any manager who takes over us now should keep us up!

• Like 2

Going down this year is a real prospect, so... are we saying so long as the bloke puts up a good fight and gives a passable impression of knowing what he's doing, we'll stick with him in the Championship?

Managers have taken over clubs later than this in a lot worse positions and kept teams up. Any manager who takes over us now should keep us up!

Pretty sure it's only happened three times previously in the PL era. 

It has to be Moyes job to turn down surely?

On paper, there cannot be any better candidate and if the board aren't doing everything they can to get Moyes this opportunity will be lost.

Moyes is proven in the PL. He could be a long-term appointment and his dealings in the transfer market at Everton were excellent - Lescott, Tim Cahill, Jagielka and many others all signed from Championship. Seamus Coleman, Tim Howard, Steven Pienaar, Arteta, Fellani recruited from overseas - some as relatively unknown players... 

He operated - very successfully at Everton, under similar financial limitations he'd face at Villa.

And for Moyes - he's unlikely to get another top 4 gig any time soon... The tier below the top 5 clubs - e.g. Spurs, Villa, Everton - that's his level.

Might he even get another chance at clubs like that?

... On paper, it screams Moyes. I cannot believe the calibre of some of the names being linked - Garde?? Pearson???? 

It should be a shortlist of managers who have previous in the PL - Moyes, Rodgers or Redknapp. End of. 

You are talking about a man who is already in employment. Is he likely to walk out on his current job and pay his contract up to join a sinking ship like us.

3 of Sociedad's next 4 games are against Celta Vigo, Sevilla and Barcelona. All of whom are riding high in the league. If Moyes was to lose those games and end up back in the relegation places, he could be sacked anyway...

McDonald is an able deputy for now. Maybe Villa should just ride it out for a few weeks... 'see what happens at Sociedad before making a short-sighted appointment for the sake of it. I mean - Remi Garde? Nigel Pearson? Poyet? WTF?

It's also interesting that Moyes hasn't just come out and rubbished the Villa links. If he has no intention of taking the Villa post he would gain a bit of credit with his current employers by publically committing himself to Sociedad. He's not doing that.

Moyes should be the No.1 and ONLY choice at this time. It should be his job to turn down.

There's a lot of if's there. Honestly we cannot hang around in the hope that all those things happen because the likelyhood is that Sociadad won't loose all three games and Moyes will still have a job. We have to look for people who are available now unless we happy to stick with KMac