New manager

KJT123

It seems that Garde fits the template with his Arsenal connections along with his willingness to promote young players,work on a tight budget and accept the sale of his best players.

But his experience of the PL is less than that of our departed manager and he has been out of the game for some time now.

I think we need an experienced PL manager now to try to turn things around. It would be Moyes for me if we could tempt him to join what appears to be a sinking ship and one where he cannot make the decisions on who we sign and who we keep. If not, Rodgers might consider an earlier return than he had planned but I think the decision has been made.

We have a poor record when it comes to making such decisions in recent years but this one really needs to be the right one. Possibly the current Chelsea manager might see this as a suitable challenge should he become available shortly? [emoji3]    

Why is Premier League experience, specifically, important? What makes this league so special?

I mean despite all the money floating around in it, were pretty shit in Europe. Those fancy inexperienced foreign managers appear to have our number.

We took a risk appointing Tim given he had only had a few games in charge at Spurs. We would be taking a similar risk in appointing someone who has been not working as a manager for some time now. Garde may prove to be an inspired choice but I think given our present position we need to look at someone like Moyes who could hit the ground running, who knows the league well and who kept Everton near the top under similar budget constraints as he would face with us. I just think that appointment would be a lower risk to us. PL experience is not the be all and end all but I think it might help in our situation.    

• Like 1

It might be a bit messy or even costly

There's the snag. Two French clubs see a premier league club coming and want their pound of flesh. Also they're French so doing anything efficiently is anathema.

Would we not just have to pay off their contract? Would that be particularly costly in the grand scheme of things?

Garde would be far less of a risk than Sherwood. Sherwood had about 6 months managerial experience and no experience buying players and that was it. Garde on the other hand had 3 seasons at Lyon and he's only been out of work for about a year and a half.

As I said before, pretty much the only manager we could realistically get who wouldn't be much of a gamble is Moyes. That's it.

• Like 1

It seems that Garde fits the template with his Arsenal connections along with his willingness to promote young players,work on a tight budget and accept the sale of his best players.

But his experience of the PL is less than that of our departed manager and he has been out of the game for some time now.

I think we need an experienced PL manager now to try to turn things around. It would be Moyes for me if we could tempt him to join what appears to be a sinking ship and one where he cannot make the decisions on who we sign and who we keep. If not, Rodgers might consider an earlier return than he had planned but I think the decision has been made.

We have a poor record when it comes to making such decisions in recent years but this one really needs to be the right one. Possibly the current Chelsea manager might see this as a suitable challenge should he become available shortly? [emoji3]    

Why is Premier League experience, specifically, important? What makes this league so special?

I mean despite all the money floating around in it, were pretty shit in Europe. Those fancy inexperienced foreign managers appear to have our number.

We took a risk appointing Tim given he had only had a few games in charge at Spurs. We would be taking a similar risk in appointing someone who has been not working as a manager for some time now. Garde may prove to be an inspired choice but I think given our present position we need to look at someone like Moyes who could hit the ground running, who knows the league well and who kept Everton near the top under similar budget constraints as he would face with us. I just think that appointment would be a lower risk to us. PL experience is not the be all and end all but I think it might help in our situation.    

Garde would be less of a risk than Sherwood, imo.

I don't know anything about how Garde manages. But three relatively successful years as manager of a top club like Lyon, plus his years of coaching before that, is absolutely miles more experience than Sherwood had.

• Like 1

the only manager we could realistically get who wouldn't be much of a gamble is Moyes. That's it.

Why do people keep talking about David Moyes as if he would jump at the chance at taking the Villa job? He's not available. He's managing Real Sociedad and has just bought a house over there. He's there for the long haul and I doubt he'd leave to take the Villa job if he was offered it and we were interested in him.

the only manager we could realistically get who wouldn't be much of a gamble is Moyes. That's it.

Why do people keep talking about David Moyes as if he would jump at the chance at taking the Villa job? He's not available. He's managing Real Sociedad and has just bought a house over there. He's there for the long haul and I doubt he'd leave to take the Villa job if he was offered it and we were interested in him.

I wasn't - personally I don't think we'll get him either way but he's semi-realistic at the very least.

Fat Ron says we should go for Pearson.

Rio Ferdinand says Yorke is credible because he's "loved by Villa fans".

Planet Gaga.

Not surprised by this.

Fat Ron managed Pearson at Sheffield Wednesday and Plug was roasting mates with Yorke.

Old boys club innit.

My guess would be that Moyes would be first choice but we are unable to tempt him away from his current role.  My next guess would be Garde and I imagine that after dicking around with his backroom team we will get him in place by the weekend

I was keen on Poyet before Lambert came but I'm less keen the more I've seen of him. I don't think Rodgers is even in the frame

The waiting is terrible - please please please get on with it - I can hardly stand the tension

the house thing is irrelevant. I use to know a famous footballer of a top four club and he just bought a house thwn moved on within a couple qeeka. Was just paid extra to cover thw cost and hw sold it wihin couple month's 

I wish the media would stop asking for the tedious opinions from nomarks like Souness and Harry word removed.

Oh and Lambert i know you want to be relevant, but no-one cares about you or what you did/didn't do at Villa, you dour Scottish clearing in the woods!

• Like 1

After the crazy transfer window I was glad to be able to start getting work done again but the new manager speculation has again thrown that out the window.

I'm going to have to start putting "Villatalk" on my timesheet 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

John-I understand where you are coming from but Moyes took 2 years to get going at Everton. The second season was particularly poor which saw them fighting relegation. He had a slow start at Man U and has also been poor in Spain. I'm not convinced that he would hit the ground running here. We need some wins, we are not in a position to grind out draws to ensure safety. With the technical players that we have, I think it could be less of a gamble to go with Garde. If I'm honest, whoever we appoint will be a gamble but not as bigger gamble as sticking with Sherwood. We have a fighting chance with a new manager but a lot will also depend on how Newcastle & Sunderland shape up. Not all 3 of us are going to survive.

• Like 2