Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

I'm pretty shocked with this window.

I find it hard to believe there isn't at least ONE player out there who would improve the squad and want to come to us?

Pretty mind blowing really.

There was one player but he couldnt get a work permit. This transfer window is a massive joke though.

http://www.football365.com/news/five-cheapish-potential-transfer-targets

Wahbi Khazri (Bordeaux) – 7.45 rating
Linked earlier in the window with a move to Aston Villa, the reports seemed to be welcomed by Bordeaux playmaker Wahbi Khazri, who claimed that the bottom club in England were superior to those sitting second and third in France at the time. Suggestions of a move to the Midlands club have since cooled, with Remi Garde attempting to plug more pressing holes in his side, but the Tunisian international’s apparent fondness for a move to England’s top tier should have alerted some of Villa’s rivals.

At 24 the attacking midfielder is still young but he is very much Bordeaux’s key man going forwards. The highest-rated player for the club ahead of Henri Saivet – who has already switched France for England with Newcastle – Khazri has had a direct hand in 12 league goals this season (5 goals, 7 assists). Only two players have created more chances in France’s top tier thus far (54) and his creativity would be a real asset to a number of Premier League clubs, not least those battling the drop that lack a true advanced playmaker.

Suggested suitors: West Brom, Sunderland, Bournemouth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very much an example of a player who would pay for himself in performances, it seems to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

http://www.football365.com/news/five-cheapish-potential-transfer-targets

Wahbi Khazri (Bordeaux) – 7.45 rating
Linked earlier in the window with a move to Aston Villa, the reports seemed to be welcomed by Bordeaux playmaker Wahbi Khazri, who claimed that the bottom club in England were superior to those sitting second and third in France at the time. Suggestions of a move to the Midlands club have since cooled since he actually watched them play

;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

See all these numpties sat around us. They will come and watch any old drivel.

So your point is? Basically an insult to any true villa fan. Go support small heath then if things are so bad ? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MuleAthon said:

I don't think that was quite his intention in making that post.

Seconded. I think it was an attack on the inertia of doug and randy rather than the loyalty of the villa fans. As in that's what they would say rather than what Woodytom thinks. 

That's just my interpretation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I didn't expect any signings this window and certainly not any signings that would have a significant impact. It won't be a failure to act in this window that will send us down though and in some ways I don't blame the club for not trying to rescue the season. It is too far gone for that. To have any hope we would spend relatively significant sums in this window we had to keep ourselves in touch with safety and we didn't.

I also think it is alight saying lets plan for next season but we don't actually know what the squad is going to need next season. Who is going to stay, who we want to get rid off but can't sell, who we want to keep but throws their toys out of the pram and wants out. I can see the argument that regardless of if we go down or not we need a keeper and a striker and we have it seems tried for the keeper. Getting a decent striker is probably the hardest position to fill though and with limited options in January, an inflated market and our dire position I always felt it unlikely we would sign one and certainly not one of the required standard to give us a chance of staying up.

Mark, I here what you are saying mate, and all valid points . However as you know yourself, we are not quite down yet and whilst there is a glimmer of hope that we can somehow pull the rabbit from the hat then shouldn't the club be at least making an effort to do so. You mention the short term in bringing players in but aren't we already doing that by hankering over Depuchy? 

Nobody including myself wants to see continued crap or average players pull on a Villa Shirt or even players with no real desire to be at Villa. We have had it for far too long and as discussed previously and proved many times, good players are out there for decent money if you look properly. I would also presume that if Garde is the long term manager and will hang around for the championship then any additions now will/should fit into his plans in not just the short term but long also. 

Your of course right as decent strikers will come at a premium, but either way we will still need a decent striker even for the championship. Plus if we were thinking about costs then even stop-gap players like maybe the lad Santos(example) mentioned last week who put his own release clause on twitter. At 300-400k euros it's worth a punt imo, even if things didn't work out.  

What worries me is watching us over the next few months struggling to score in games through lack of options not quality and continually hearing crap soundbites from Hollis like, "Protecting our future". As we know Gestede is out for a month at least and will Gabby return? who knows?! But say we continue to improve over the next 15 games yet due to lack of striker options only just miss out on staying up. Drawing too many games or not scoring enough goals? I think if it unravels like that we will all feel a little shitter than we do already tbh. At least I will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

I'm all for getting the "right" players and not spending money for the sake of it, but yeah massive joke sums it up.

I'm not sure it is, if we'd had 6 more points I'd agree but only £200million and Messi will save us now.

We probably have a decent Championship squad, players coming through which would benefit from that sort of experience and new players on big contracts who might be persuaded to stay for a year. Good players still come to Championship squads, Ighalo is a great example.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

15 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I'm not sure it is, if we'd had 6 more points I'd agree but only £200million and Messi will save us now.

We probably have a decent Championship squad, players coming through which would benefit from that sort of experience and new players on big contracts who might be persuaded to stay for a year. Good players still come to Championship squads, Ighalo is a great example.

I would say Ighalo was an exception though, it was only because the guy who owns Watford (or his son) also owns Udinese that they got Ighalo and various other players. Clubs like Blackburn and Fulham had to pay over the top for good strikers so I don't see how were going to save any money by waiting for a striker. The only thing a player would avoid by coming later is not having a relegation on his cv which I can understand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

I would say Ighalo was an exception though, it was only because the guy who owns Watford (or his son) also owns Udinese that they got Ighalo and various other players. Clubs like Blackburn and Fulham had to pay over the top for good strikers so I don't see how were going to save any money by waiting for a striker. The only thing a player would avoid by coming later is not having a relegation on his cv which I can understand.

On the other hand they would have "played in the Premier League" on their CV which would be a plus to a lot of players.

My assumption is new players have not come because the board do not think it is a priority and not willing to spend any money. 

• Like 1