Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I would love to see a gamble on a young up and coming striker from the lower leagues or one from a foreign league, something that can be developed. I genuinely can't believe there are many strikers worse than Gestede, Kozak and Gabby.

Tom Bradshaw (Walsall) Matty Taylor (Bristol Rovers) and Sam Winnall (Barnsley) are worth looking at!! Winnall is following a similar path to Andre Gray (Both born in Wolverhampton and both released by Wolves) and been banging in the goals every since.

Edited by Villan4Life

Pity we didn't have someone on our board like Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough owner) who can identify good up and coming talent.

A massive football fan and watches non-league games to identify up and coming talent that has possibly been released by bigger clubs and over the years has spotted likes of: Dwight Gayle (signed for 500k sold for £6million around 6 months later) Conor Washington (bought for 500k and just sold to QPR for £3million) Britt Assombalonga (bought for £1.5million from Watford sold for around £6million to Forest a year later) plus many other players such as Craig Mackail-Smith.

Good article here:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/revealed-the-secrets-of-the-posh-scouting-system-1-6373242

Peterborough United’s Barry Fry has revealed the secrets of the most successful scouting set-up in the Football League.

The Posh director of football claims all you need are a football-mad chairman with a keen eye for talent, a computer, and dedicated staff led by a manager with an outstanding record in developing and improving young players.

The ability of Posh to find rough diamonds and polish them into players of Premier League and Championship quality is the envy of the football world.

And Posh don’t even employ one scout, never mind a network of them. Well not one that they pay.

“Our chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, is our best talent spotter,” Fry insisted.

“He was the first person at our club to watch Marcus Maddison in action and it was him who tipped the manager off.

“The chairman is football mad. I think he spends every Sunday morning glued to a computer watching clips of football on YouTube or whatever.

“He’d watch Lowestoft in action if he felt there was a player of potential there.

“That’s just the start of the process though. We don’t sign anyone that the manager (Darren Ferguson) doesn’t fancy. He always has the final say on any new signing.

“We get tip offs from all over the place. I have a lot of contacts in the game and so does the manager and his staff.

“Darren rang (former Posh player) Dean Keates up about Marcus and he told us to sign him all costs!

“Dean had just played for Wrexham against Gateshead and Marcus tore them to pieces.

“Darren will usually watch a player himself or he will send Gavin Strachan (first-team coach), Gary Breen (defensive coach), Dave Robertson (Academy boss) or Jimmy Walker (goalkeeping coach). We are lucky to have a dedicated staff willing to work all hours.

“There really is no secret to what we do other than hard work, but we do have a chairman willing to take a punt on a player and we have a manager and coaching staff capable of improving players.

“It still amazes me that clubs higher than ourselves don’t come in for Darren. His record with young, improving players must be the best in the country.”

Fry did admit that Posh’s amazing record of selling players on for huge profits has made signing them in the first place more difficult.

Britt Assombalonga costPosh £1.5 million to bring from Watford and was sold on to Nottingham Forest for £5.5 million after just one full season.

Posh paid Dagenham & Redbridge £500,000 for striker Dwight Gayle and six months later he had fetched a fee of £6 million from Crystal Palace.

“Doing deals with teams in the lower divisions is getting harder,” Fry stated.

“They know we are likely to make a big profit so they try and up the initial fee as high as possible.

“It took us a while to get the Maddison deal over the line and it took a lot of e-mails from the chairman in the early hours of the morning before it was completed.

“When we were in Portugal for pre-season I was on the phone to Bristol Rovers about Michael Smith every day.

“Smith was in the League Two Team-of-the-Year picked by the players despite playing for a team that was relegated so we knew he was special and we went out of our way to get him. The players want to come here though which helps. They know it will be good for their careers if they perform.

“We are not afraid to offer generous add-ons and sell-ons because in some cases, especially with smaller clubs, you can return and offer to buy them out. That’s what we did with Aaron Mclean and Craig Mackail-Smith and we made hundreds of thousands of pounds as a result.”

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Pity we didn't have someone on our board like Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough owner) who can identify good up and coming talent.

A massive football fan and watches non-league games to identify up and coming talent that has possibly been released by bigger clubs and over the years has spotted likes of: Dwight Gayle (signed for 500k sold for £6million around 6 months later) Conor Washington (bought for 500k and just sold to QPR for £3million) Britt Assombalonga (bought for £1.5million from Watford sold for around £6million to Forest a year later) plus many other players such as Craig Mackail-Smith.

Good article here:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/revealed-the-secrets-of-the-posh-scouting-system-1-6373242

So this is just a nice little story of what a good chairman is like is it?

What use is this in the transfer thread, and in our discussions for a striker?

Can I get your phone number? I'm struggling to sleep at the moment so a nice story later might help me nod off.

----------------------------Butland/Adrian

Clyne----------Dann/Stones-----------------Fonte-----------Cresswell

Arnautovic---------Besic-----------------Mahrez----------------Bolasie

--------------------Ighalo----------------Vardy

All these players were bought for 4m pounds or less and in most cases much less. The Clyne transfer is when he went to Southampton from Crystal Palace. 

Mahrez was 400k, Arnautovic 2m, Vardy 1m, Bolasie 1m, Cresswell 3m, Fonte 1m etc. There is so much possibility in finding good players if you have a very good scouting setup across Europe and in the lower leagues.

Of course there will be failures and these players are the success stories but if we had a competent set up we could make some really good buys. Instead we buy players that have no business in the Premier League (Bowery, Lowton, Bennett, Luna, Richardson) or pay big fees for sub-par players (Gestede, Ireland, N'Zogbia).

Our success stories for low fees in recent years have been Okore, Gil and Westwood (even he is very debatable on this board at least). Even they are nowhere near the players in that team.

Edited by bose
  • Like 2

personally think we will wait until summer before signing another striker. honestly i think rudy and kozak can get a shed load of goals next season if amavi stays

i maintain we are down so probably pointless spending bucks on another striker at this stage. I would have tried obtain a loan striker for now but again I cant see any players coming in (maybe  a loan if we are lucky)

Arnautovic all of a sudden a shrewd signing even tho he was shit the first two seasons lol.

Also Vardy was pretty shit before the end of last season/this season, in the Championship Leicester fans described him in much the same way we describe Weimann, "good energy and runs around a lot but needs to work on his finishing, ok for a backup but not championship quality". He's kicked on this season of course, but even if we signed a Vardy this winter, or even last summer, he probably wouldn't be in a position to actually help us for a few years.

There is a place for cheap gambles, absolutely, but only if you sign some better players at the same time because at best the cheap gambles will take some time to get up to speed, and at worst (the majority) will just turn out to be rubbish. We don't need cheap gambles this January, we need someone to hit the ground running even if it's only for a few months. Problem is we need proven quality and a) not many of them are available in Jan, and B) the ones that are available probably won't come due to our position

8 hours ago, bose said:

All these players were bought for 4m pounds or less and in most cases much less. The Clyne transfer is when he went to Southampton from Crystal Palace. 

Mahrez was 400k, Arnautovic 2m, Vardy 1m, Bolasie 1m, Cresswell 3m, Fonte 1m etc. There is so much possibility in finding good players if you have a very good scouting setup across Europe and in the lower leagues.

This is all fair enough but the form of a fair few of these players has not been long-term.  Bolasie has been work in progress for ages and has only really been "good" for roughly one season now.  Same with Jamie Vardy - just nowhere near prolific (always worked hard), but has now had one good half-season. He only scored 5 last time out!  I'm not sure Besic has set the world alight at Everton.  Arnautovic has only recently become good again after a huge dip in form.  John Stones is a key part of a defence that has conceeded more goals than any team apart from the bottom 5.

My point is that these aren't exactly players who are consistently at the top of their game (Mahrez and Butland have been the two examples that go against this, maybe).  They have huge peaks and dips in form and, in many cases, have taken quite a while to settle into their teams.  We don't have the time to afford this.

Of course, some teams do just scout better and pick better players.

17 hours ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I thought down would sound worse! Lol. If you take a lot of words out of context they can appear bad.

As for employee / board member, not guilty. 

I think you are Lerner's young 'un. Too much of a coincidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Shame we never went for someone like Tom Ince he would be a good player in championship. But think Derby may come up

not for me

he was the epitome of english over spending, touted for £6/7m when he really wasnt ready and not good enough for that kind of fee, he had talent but never seemed to have the attitude IMO, did nothing at palace, hull or forest and was seemingly in last chance saloon at derby, probably maturing and starting to look like the player he should be now but he'd have been wasted here over the last 2/3 years

redmond was a better option IMO, think norwich got him for about £2m too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Shame we never went for someone like Tom Ince he would be a good player in championship. But think Derby may come up

I have never thought Tom Ince was anywhere as a good a player as his Dad clearly thinks he is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bose said:

Of course there will be failures and these players are the success stories but if we had a competent set up we could make some really good buys. Instead we buy players that have no business in the Premier League (Bowery, Lowton, Bennett, Luna, Richardson) or pay big fees for sub-par players (Gestede, Ireland, N'Zogbia).

Our success stories for low fees in recent years have been Okore, Gil and Westwood (even he is very debatable on this board at least). Even they are nowhere near the players in that team.

TBF I can make a similar one of crap players!! You've picked the best ones possible out of how many transfers? Leicester for instance spent £9m on Kasmeric who've they've just bombed out yet got lucky on a few others. You will get good and bad signings its having a consistent policy that helps you develop a squad. Our problem is we have changed from one to another time and again. Our recruitment in the summer was on the whole good it's just we never replaced the goals in the team and never had a manager who believed in the signings. One thing to remember is Gestede was Sherwoods buy Ayew was more the committee says it all to me really. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

personally think we will wait until summer before signing another striker. honestly i think rudy and kozak can get a shed load of goals next season if amavi stays

i maintain we are down so probably pointless spending bucks on another striker at this stage. I would have tried obtain a loan striker for now but again I cant see any players coming in (maybe  a loan if we are lucky)

A loan for a half decent striker would be a great shout. It will be difficult to sign anyone permanently given our position unless they are from the Championship and are happy to end up back there.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I have never thought Tom Ince was anywhere as a good a player as his Dad clearly thinks he is.

Agreed, a bit like Shaun Wright-Phillips

The list of one dimensional, one trick pony, fast English wide players in the last 10-15 or so years is staggering.

Seems like there is a new one every season, who after being hyped up fades away

Edited by sne