Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

When was the tipping point? 

There must have been a time when random mass shootings weren't a thing?  

It just seems to have gone insane since Sandy Hook.. Or is it that we're just being told about them now?  They're being reported more? 

It's just so sad because the USA is an amazing country, that has so many things going for it.. What a shame a literal handful of people are making it such an unpleasantly appealing place to visit.  (I got married there, but I won't be going back, not that anyone would care!)

I was thinking this the other night. Has it always been like this? Or has it accelerated in recent times. I certainly think the latter, but not looked into it a great deal. 

I think a tipping point in America, and the wider western world, was 9/11. The world has changed since then. That felt like a line in the sand and the world has got more divisive, angry and bitter since. I also think social media hasn't helped. Given a world wide platform to all kind of extremists. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was thinking this the other night. Has it always been like this? Or has it accelerated in recent times. I certainly think the latter, but not looked into it a great deal. 

I think a tipping point in America, and the wider western world, was 9/11. The world has changed since then. That felt like a line in the sand and the world has got more divisive, angry and bitter since. I also think social media hasn't helped. Given a world wide platform to all kind of extremists. 

Columbine was the 1st school mass shooting.

In Colorado alone since then there has been Aurora (Batman in the Cinema) Boulder (Last year, supermarket) Littleton (school) and Arapahoe (High School.)

That's just off the top of my head.

47 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Columbine was the 1st school mass shooting.

In Colorado alone since then there has been Aurora (Batman in the Cinema) Boulder (Last year, supermarket) Littleton (school) and Arapahoe (High School.)

That's just off the top of my head.

Is your wife American? How would she feel about living in the UK? 

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

It's The Internet I think. 

So easy to spread hatred and so easy to set off on a slightly off moderate path down rabbit holes of extremism. 

• Like 3

I'll add that it's confusion as to who their enemies actually are

The reds hating their way of life and being out to get them was a far easier sales pitch 

Post 9/11 the fear was ramped up because they were actually on American soil, 20 years later post trump the fear, suspicion, paranoia etc has been turned up to 11 and you can wheel out the yoda speech 

The fact that America sells the idea of enemies to its public is seemingly just another bizarre facet of American life 

No person living in England will ever utter the words I need a gun to protect my family from England's enemies 

Edit - this bullshit

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Is your wife American? How would she feel about living in the UK? 

She’s from California and would love to live in Europe. Her grandparents were Dutch who lived in Indonesia.

When we went to Amsterdam in 2015 she said she’d never felt as at home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

She’s from California and would love to live in Europe. Her grandparents were Dutch who lived in Indonesia.

As a side to this going off on a detour... 

Dutch Indonesian peanut curry! my wife does it with green beans, one of my favourite meals, I'd never eaten before moving out here, the german supermarkets are starting more and more to sell the Dutch plastic square sauce tubs (but German supermarkets being German supermarkets are largely **** terrible) 

Top tier food

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Was she high? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's The Internet I think. 

So easy to spread hatred and so easy to set off on a slightly off moderate path down rabbit holes of extremism. 

Internet out!

I've said before, the early days on the internet (late 90s / early 00s for me), it was a wonderful and fascinating place! The excitement of speaking to people from a different country in chatrooms etc. Everyone seemed friendly. Ok, I'm not naive to think it was all like that, but it seemed a new brave world to me, full of possibilities. How times change. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Internet out!

I've said before, the early days on the internet (late 90s / early 00s for me), it was a wonderful and fascinating place! The excitement of speaking to people from a different country in chatrooms etc. Everyone seemed friendly. Ok, I'm not naive to think it was all like that, but it seemed a new brave world to me, full of possibilities. How times change. 

It was a much nicer place to be when it was for nerds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was a much nicer place to be when it was for nerds.

Or people pretending to be nerds :)

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

come home bud, you'll be welcomed with open arms 

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2022 at 06:59, StanBalaban said:

Look at this dense, smug word removed!

Eeesh!

"Might be a famous politician but still don't want him going in my daughter's bathroom."

Edited by Vancvillan
Ensuring this reads as satire.

Â