Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

What is it over there with shooting up schools ?

Is shooting up schools the new pastime/hobby,or what ?

Combination of

Teenage years at school being one of the periods of greatest stress in a person's life, right at the moment when you're least equipped to deal with it.

A culture that is cutthroat in respect to success, attainment, that feeds into that stress and can cause that stress from both the direct angle (i.e. school pupil gets stressed from failure at school, bullying, pressure to succeed etc) and indirectly (your family has problems that leads to marriage failures, domestic abuse, absent parents, bad parents, etc etc).

Growth in mental illness perhaps related to the above.

The fad element where shooting up a school is the way to show the world your rage.

A culture of gun glorification.

A **** load of guns.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Combination of

Teenage years at school being one of the periods of greatest stress in a person's life, right at the moment when you're least equipped to deal with it.

A culture that is cutthroat in respect to success, attainment, that feeds into that stress and can cause that stress from both the direct angle (i.e. school pupil gets stressed from failure at school, bullying, pressure to succeed etc) and indirectly (your family has problems that leads to marriage failures, domestic abuse, absent parents, bad parents, etc etc).

Growth in mental illness perhaps related to the above.

The fad element where shooting up a school is the way to show the world your rage.

A culture of gun glorification.

A **** load of guns.

Maybe one for the 'Things I often wonder' thread, but in addition to the above, how much of it is also caused by, or exacerbated by, the over-prescription of mind-altering drugs. You get the impression things like Xanax are popped like smarties over there. Maybe that perception is wrong, but that's the question. How many shooters would have been regarded as drugged up on perfectly legal drugs on the day they went off on one.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Big UVA fan here. They were in a class about non-violent protesting and had just come back from seeing a play on Washington DC. Horrible situation for the community, the team and their families. This kid was also known to have been arrested for possessing a gun in a different county and failed to notify the school about it. Also was part of hazing situation and was reported to the school threat assessment team for making comments about having a gun. Seems like another situation where the system set up may have failed but it’s still just speculation at the moment.

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Colorado Springs has previous. Some clearing in the woods killed people at an abortion clinic there in 2015. 

Colorado has quite a lot of history sadly.

Boulder was 2021 (10 dead in a grocery store) and Denver/Lakewood at the same time last year.

Aurora (Batman cinema shooting) Littleton school shooting, Arapahoe School shooting, and of course Columbine.

One of the reasons I'm looking at private school for my kids. School shootings only happen at public schools.

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

One of the reasons I'm looking at private school for my kids. School shootings only happen at public schools.

Imagine a world where one of the reasons to choose a school is the percentage chances of them getting shot. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Early reports suggest it was the store manager and he took his own life after the shootings

Just like Jim says at 2:30 in the first video above :) "From time to time, we all get sad" :lol: 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

The latest Walmart shooting is the 607th MASS shooting this year (so far).

Thats just insane. 

I wonder how many individual (1 to 1) fatal shootings there were? 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder how many individual (1 to 1) fatal shootings there were? 

Not from this year, but according to the CDC:

“In 2020, the most recent year for which complete data is available, 45,222 people died from gun-related injuries in the U.S., according to the CDC. That figure includes gun murders and gun suicides, along with three other, less common types of gun-related deaths tracked by the CDC”.

More people than can safely fit inside Villa Park :(

Linky

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Lots of information come out about the background of the Colorado gay club shooter. Classic turmoiled childhood with parental domestic violence leading to divorce, no contact with father, mother has significant mental health issues, raised by grandmother for long periods, and then most troublingly gets arrested for allegedly making threats to his mother about a bomb which he is never charged for and the case scrubbed from his record... Which would have likely impacted his ability to get a gun in the first place. Oh and his granddad is a low level California politician of the Trumper persuasion. And now his defence has claimed he's non-binary, which reeks of 'no his shooting up an LGBTQ nightclub was not motivated by discriminatory ideals, he's one of them!' rather than a true reflection of his identity. Or is just petulance of the classic idiot right - claim I've got a special identity, they let all of them lot off.

Â