Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm curious what the "ways around" holding a gun being illegal would be.

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the US, look at their gun death rate. It's easy to travel around different states in america buying guns at gun shows or second hand. It doesn't matter to the school killers what the law is, if they want a gun it's easy to get one. Having a gun(s) in your house is a normal thing in the US, that needs to change first. And it needs to be country wide. 

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the US, look at their gun death rate. It's easy to travel around different states in america buying guns at gun shows or second hand. It doesn't matter to the school killers what the law is, if they want a gun it's easy to get one. Having a gun(s) in your house is a normal thing in the US, that needs to change first. And it needs to be country wide. 

Right - so making holding a gun illegal.  What's the way round it?  I'm not saying people won't illegally have guns - but there's no loophole around guns = illegal.

52 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Right - so making holding a gun illegal.  What's the way round it?  I'm not saying people won't illegally have guns - but there's no loophole around guns = illegal.

You're right, but *in practice* what you're asking for here is not just a law, but a constitutional amendment, which would require a vote of 67 senators. You couldn't get even a dozen senators to support an amendment that overturned the second amendment; you just about can get 50 votes for a bill that doesn't really too anything except make gestures like tightening background checks.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Types of guns available and better background checks would be the best start

The argument that in order to form a militia it's only fair that they have the same access to the weapons that the military use in the most bullshit argument of the whole debate, they spend so much energy idolising their military yet if they step out of line Gary from iowa, who's 4 stone overweight has asthma and still lives with his mom, is marching on Washington with his assault rifle to sort them out 

That's the other thing about the yanks, stop idolising he military... Stop drilling in to people about these heroes abroad fighting americas enemies, stop telling them that they have enemies... Its a huge cultural shift that needs to go along with the gun laws, no a chance in hell that they'll do it 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Types of guns available and better background checks would be the best start

The argument that in order to form a militia it's only fair that they have the same access to the weapons that the military use in the most bullshit argument of the whole debate, they spend so much energy idolising their military yet if they step out of line Gary from iowa, who's 4 stone overweight has asthma and still lives with his mom, is marching on Washington with his assault rifle to sort them out 

That's the other thing about the yanks, stop idolising he military... Stop drilling in to people about these heroes abroad fighting americas enemies, stop telling them that they have enemies... Its a huge cultural shift that needs to go along with the gun laws, no a chance in hell that they'll do it 

You can’t buy military weapons as a private citizen in the US. The AR-15 available to the public is modified from the version the military can use in that it is only able to be fired as a semiautomatic rifle. You are not able to buy the full automatic rifles the military use. 

19 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You are not able to buy the full automatic rifles the military use. 

18 hours ago, villa89 said:

Pretty easy to modify them to be fully automatic 

Don't you just fit whats known as a bump stock to the rifle and it can empty a magazine in a couple of seconds?

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

He's Syrian-American. Syrians can look quite fair skinned and have light eyes, etc. They are close to being the original Caucasians.

The only thing preventing him from being white, in the American sense, is not having an Anglo name essentially.

2 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Don't you just fit whats known as a bump stock to the rifle and it can empty a magazine in a couple of seconds?

Apparently they make the rifle pretty useless for shooting at anything. It is a crude bit of kit that uses the guns recoil to help you pull the trigger faster but you can’t aim at the same time. I think they are more of a novelty item than anything (a pretty dumb thing to have a novelty item for in my opinion). 

58 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Apparently they make the rifle pretty useless for shooting at anything. It is a crude bit of kit that uses the guns recoil to help you pull the trigger faster but you can’t aim at the same time. I think they are more of a novelty item than anything (a pretty dumb thing to have a novelty item for in my opinion). 

Hmmm, I'm not an expert, but the Las Vegas shooter managed to kill 58 people while using a bump stock, so you can still cause plenty of carnage with them. I've believe they've also been banned as a result of that shooting as well, though of course I'm sure there's a thriving market of people willing to sell you one anyway.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hmmm, I'm not an expert, but the Las Vegas shooter managed to kill 58 people while using a bump stock, so you can still cause plenty of carnage with them. I've believe they've also been banned as a result of that shooting as well, though of course I'm sure there's a thriving market of people willing to sell you one anyway.

Yeah I think he was just spraying into a crowd from above rather than aiming as such. 

Â