Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I don't understand the desire to kill sentient beings.

I somewhat see how the challenge of tracking something could be exciting; chasing them in a 'hide and seek' sort of way. Especially as wild animals are creatures of which our understanding is far removed;

But very much like De Niro at the end of 'The Deer Hunter' (terrible example I know) why destroy what you've enjoyed tracking and observing? (probably terrifying it beyond belief in all honesty.)

For me the idea to destroy an animal is a sick perversion.  They can't fight back against a bullet. WooHoo big man, go human development. Love to see your brother in laws wrestle a bear or a tiger.

Tell me I'm soppy.

Slightly off topic I’ve always been fascinated with those blokes that fight bears In those big suits. It must be an insane rush and I would love to have a go at it just to feel the pure strength and aggression of such a wonderful creature And live to tell the tale

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Slightly off topic I’ve always been fascinated with those blokes that fight bears In those big suits. It must be an insane rush and I would love to have a go at it just to feel the pure strength and aggression of such a wonderful creature And live to tell the tale

As I tried to eschew before: Humans are intelligent enough to understand animals, their place in the food chain, and ultimately their  place within the larger ecosystem - our whole environment, which sustains us and gives us the chance to be here!

For some reason it seems to me that we seem hell bent on destroying/poisoning  it against our own best interests. (Perhaps thats for another thread.)

I have no idea why certain folks feel the need to bring violence into this relationship. There are so many ways in which we can get an adrenaline rush which is what you seem to describe. Why is it necessary to involve another sentient being that was just minding it's own business and helping the eco system which we rely on to function?

As for dressing up in a Bear suit to do it. Can't you see that is utter madness? 

44 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

As I tried to eschew before: Humans are intelligent enough to understand animals, their place in the food chain, and ultimately their  place within the larger ecosystem - our whole environment, which sustains us and gives us the chance to be here!

For some reason it seems to me that we seem hell bent on destroying/poisoning  it against our own best interests. (Perhaps thats for another thread.)

I have no idea why certain folks feel the need to bring violence into this relationship. There are so many ways in which we can get an adrenaline rush which is what you seem to describe. Why is it necessary to involve another sentient being that was just minding it's own business and helping the eco system which we rely on to function?

As for dressing up in a Bear suit to do it. Can't you see that is utter madness? 

Probably did not explain that as best as I could. I think the guy I’m on about made what he called a bear observation suit actually to help understand the creature more with a view to saving its existence. I did not mean I want to go toe to toe with the bear but would if possible and safe like to feel its power if that makes sense And just be close to it

Edited by Follyfoot

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Probably did not explain that as best as I could. I think the guy I’m on about made what he called a bear observation suit actually to help understand the creature more with a view to saving its existence. I did not mean I want to go toe to toe with the bear but would if possible and safe like to feel its power if that makes sense And just be close to it

I watched an episode of "I Survived" or something like that, back when I watched TV every now and then, anyway, it featured a man who had been mauled to near death by a bear, this is after he had unloaded a full round of what was from memory 50 caliber bullets, and from the way he was talking, I can't remember if he specified or not, but you got the impression every one hit the bear too.

• 1 month later...

In somewhat more prosaic gun happenings here in the mitten - Dad shoots 2yr old daughter.

"“The father retrieved his weapon (and) fired multiple shots,” Johnson said. “Unfortunately, one of those shots did end up hitting the 2-year-old in the left arm. ... Like any father, he was looking to protect his child.”"

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/10/michigan-girl-2-shot-by-father-during-effort-to-stop-dog-attack.html

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Surprised this hasn't been bumped after eight people shot to death in Atlanta. Most if them female Asian massage workers.

Seen the hillbilly they've arrested? No wonder Trump got elected. 

• Like 1

I wish their was a clear cut way to end the gun violence in the USA once and for all.

Unfortunately as an American I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Americans love their guns too much and that includes those higher in government.

Edited by Big Salad

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

I wish their was a clear cut way to end the gun violence in the USA once and for all.

Unfortunately as an American I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Americans love their guns too much and that includes those higher in government.

Those in higher government don't love guns - they love selling them to idiots and make stacks of cash doing so. 

There are very few cases in the US where one would require a gun, but having spoken to residents in rural areas with bears etc, they own a revolver and a large calibre, single shot weapon - just in case.  I kinda get that.

Anyone in the 'burbs/urban environment owning a weapon is an idiot (imho of course). 

37 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Those in higher government don't love guns - they love selling them to idiots and make stacks of cash doing so. 

There are very few cases in the US where one would require a gun, but having spoken to residents in rural areas with bears etc, they own a revolver and a large calibre, single shot weapon - just in case.  I kinda get that.

Anyone in the 'burbs/urban environment owning a weapon is an idiot (imho of course). 

been talked about before no doubt

it would require a complete cultural shift in the country, Americans love guns and Americans feel the need for them, they feel the need for them because they need protection america's enemies and from themselves, how will you protect your family if someone breaks in to your house tonight?

forget the guns for a minute and focus on the madness of living your life with the thought that you're not safe, that someone is coming to get you, that something could happen to your family while you all sleep...does anyone else in the civilised world live like that?! born in England and now live in Germany i dont fear for my safety pretty much ever, listening to Americans justify the need for guns for safety purposes makes them sound like they live in Syria "i need a gun because this could happen" 

Americans dont realise between Jesus and their enemies just how un-free they are, they are controlled and seemingly the outcome is guns, violence and intolerance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

No that isn't it, it's that they get donated shit tons of money by the NRA not that they actually sell the guns themselves (or most of them anyway)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

No that isn't it, it's that they get donated shit tons of money by the NRA not that they actually sell the guns themselves (or most of them anyway)

Yea I get that, my analogy was more obvious.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Is that a new euphemism for wrong?

PS It wasn't an analogy 

Well whatever is it..

If you think I honestly think higher up government officials actually sell guns to people then I dunno dude..

Move on.

Â