The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Everybody bitching about universal credit being cut by £20.

It’s simple maths. We can’t protect the property acquisitions of the middle class and keep the poor warm.

If the poor want to be warm they can huddle together like the feral dogs they are.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Everybody bitching about universal credit being cut by £20.

It’s simple maths. We can’t protect the property acquisitions of the middle class and keep the poor warm.

I'm not bitching about it as I was blowing that extra £20 on opulent stuff like food,  toilet roll and conspiracy theory magazines full of articles on how to annoy the elderly.

Tarp shelters aren't that difficult anyway so I admire the government for keeping me humble.

• Like 1

Maybe this poll is a kind of return to a bit of normality in polling? I mean we've had the clusterpork of the Afghanistan running away/evacuation and then 3 broken manifesto promises - you'd expect that to impact on people's view of the government. There's also the empty shelves in shops to factor in. I think for the past year and a half, plus, everything has been dominated by the pandemic after first post election Brexit, then a national pulling together (pfk) over Covid, then the shambles around care homes and mismanagement of lockdowns, then the vaccine.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I think we need to wait for more polling evidence before we come to any conclusions in any direction.

Definitely - it was more a musing as to whether the covid vaccine effect on the polls is now over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

Probably why they've done it now. Everyone will have forgotten about it by the next election in 3 years time

I am not so sure. Of course they will offer some sweeteners pre election but for the next 3 years at least people are going to be worse off, due to a rise in taxes, rise in food/energy costs and for some a cut to in and out of work benefits. Add to that people not being able to be seen by a doctor and will be waiting months if not years for operations or treatments. There will also be no noticeable improvements to social care before the next election and homelessness will almost certainly rise. Then throw in shops with empty shelves. 

They will hide behind covid for all the above for as long as they can but it isn't going to wash for very much longer.  The Tories have presided over a shit show since 2010 and finally their chickens are coming home to roost. Sadly almost all of us are also going to reap the consequences of that. All oh so predictable as well. 

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

It blows my mind that the conservatives could behave like they have and still hold 40%. 

It blows my mind that the country keeps voting for centre and centre left parties in numbers that dwarf the conservative vote, yet time after time we end up with the Tories in charge.  Labour and Lib Dem members and leadership have put their own agenda ahead of the benefit of the country for years.  A coalition should be a no-brainer, but they are putting the term no-brainer to the test.

• Like 2

Govt usually has a mid-term slump in the polls doesn't it? Not sure this is anything to get too excited about

Sad thing is come election time the Tories will just magic up some cash handouts, and for the 4th or 5th time in a row, enough voters will swallow it. So frustrating, they're just running the country into the ground for the benefit of a pretty narrow section of society

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

It blows my mind that the conservatives could behave like they have and still hold 40%. 

It's not really that surprising. As @HanoiVillanalluded to elsewhere, a drop in Tory support at the moment isn't Brexity throbbers suddenly deciding that they want a bit of Ed Davey or Kier Starmer, it's them running back to UKP / Brexit / Reclaim / whatever the political vehicle du jour for That Type Of Person is.

There has always been a solid 15-20% for that type of voter, it's just that at the moment the Tories are being throbby enough to keep them onside. For there to be a significant drop in Tory support, it'll almost certainly come from them pivoting towards doing something unusally sane and losing TTOP because the Tories are now woke Marxists. 

Which is a problem, as if it looks like they are losing TTOP then they'll suddenly annouce something like the mandatory drowning of asylum seekers or a light bombing raid on Leeuwarden to get them back onside. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's not really that surprising. As @HanoiVillanalluded to elsewhere, a drop in Tory support at the moment isn't Brexity throbbers suddenly deciding that they want a bit of Ed Davey or Kier Starmer, it's them running back to UKP / Brexit / Reclaim / whatever the political vehicle du jour for That Type Of Person is.

There has always been a solid 15-20% for that type of voter, it's just that at the moment the Tories are being throbby enough to keep them onside. For there to be a significant drop in Tory support, it'll almost certainly come from them pivoting towards doing something unusally sane and losing TTOP because the Tories are now woke Marxists. 

Which is a problem, as if it looks like they are losing TTOP then they'll suddenly annouce something like the mandatory drowning of asylum seekers or a light bombing raid on Leeuwarden to get them back onside. 

Yes, exactly that. Also, we know that in recent parliaments these TTOP voters (nice name) really do tend to come back hard for the Tories on election day, and Johnson seems especially able to corral them. The one exception was 2015, I guess because for TTOPs Cameron was a metropolitan euroweenie who wasn't a true conservative.

I’d generally agree, but I think the shit show that is Brexit is negatively impacting about 99% of the population to varying degrees.

Any party that offered to return full shelves, lower prices, retiring to the sun, freedom to travel Europe unlimited as a tourist or a worker or a student, a huge boost in trading for their company must get behind it mustn’t they?

I would have thought the biggest risk to the Tories staying in power is a rejoin party gaining traction (or I’m being far too naive!).

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’d generally agree, but I think the shit show that is Brexit is negatively impacting about 99% of the population to varying degrees.

Any party that offered to return full shelves, lower prices, retiring to the sun, freedom to travel Europe unlimited as a tourist or a worker or a student, a huge boost in trading for their company must get behind it mustn’t they?

Having tried to get the eggs out of the omelette (with obvious lack of success) the promise to remake the omelette from the shredded eggy remnants is equally not going to work any time soon.

Â