The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Joy In Leeuwarden (We Are Ready)

It's a banger alright. NB claims in the sleeve notes that it's faithful cover version of a song by two Dutch folk singers called Henny Wassenaar and Corien Steenstra. It isn't, they've never heard of the song before. However, they did perform the half-time entertainment at the 2010 Korfball Championship Pool A matches in Leeuwarden.

Uncle Rudi et al will be have been delighted as Netherlands won the competition. England finished sixth, one place behind Catalonia.

[/meandering thread diversion ends]

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Having tried to get the eggs out of the omelette (with obvious lack of success) the promise to remake the omelette from the shredded eggy remnants is equally not going to work any time soon.

This is the bit I don’t get.

The myth that the EU are bullies who are taking the UK for a ride, and that we’re better off out of the EU is very much broken isn’t it? Not many people believe that any more do they?

Of course, the hardcore will still stick to their guns, but millions must have come to the realisation they’ve been had and that rejoining has a shit load of benefits that will effect them directly.

Even “better control of the borders” has failed miserably. 

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It blows my mind that the conservatives could behave like they have and still hold 40%. 

This country is full of selfish and vindictive nasty clearings plus dumbass morons who don’t look into nor care about what they are voting for outside of ‘stop the dark skinned ones from coming here and Europe are the enemy’. The majority have exactly the government they asked for. This country is screwed and is in a race to the bottom. What blows my mind is why people are still surprised by what this gov’t do and wonder why people still vote for them. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Uncle Rudi et al will be have been delighted as Netherlands won the competition.

There's often more intrigue in the pool games anyway.

[/meandering thread diversion definitely ends]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

It's a banger alright. NB claims in the sleeve notes that it's faithful cover version of a song by two Dutch folk singers called Henny Wassenaar and Corien Steenstra. It isn't, they've never heard of the song before. However, they did perform the half-time entertainment at the 2010 Korfball Championship Pool A matches in Leeuwarden.

Uncle Rudi et al will be have been delighted as Netherlands won the competition. England finished sixth, one place behind Catalonia.

[/meandering thread diversion ends]

Indeed it does. Top work.

IMG_2441.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 10/09/2021 at 14:32, Ingram85 said:

This country is full of selfish and vindictive nasty clearings plus dumbass morons who don’t look into nor care about what they are voting for outside of ‘stop the dark skinned ones from coming here and Europe are the enemy’. The majority have exactly the government they asked for. This country is screwed and is in a race to the bottom. What blows my mind is why people are still surprised by what this gov’t do and wonder why people still vote for them. 

I agree, and I've said before that I think there's also a gloryhunting element to voting. As in people like to vote for the winning team so they can say they've "won". Which is absolutely **** mental, but I think some people who don't particularly care about politics that much genuinely think like that.

I think if Labour do ever get their shit together and improve we may get to a tipping point where those kind of people start voting for them because they're more likely to "win"

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I read that yesterday and ignored it it because in reality it is just standard FCS guff from around that time, go to any Student Union in the country with more than a handful of people willing to profess their Toryness in public and you'd have found similar speeches. Student Conservative Clubs at the time were full of people prepared to make speeches like this for the sake of outrage.

The FCS at the time was divided along similar lines to the Party, there were two factions, the hardline Thatcherites and "The Wets", the Thatcherites were in by far the majority. They got so outrageous in the end that the FCS was disbanded as they'd become too embarrasing for the party

I can even still name the people in Uni with me that would have made such speeches. They didn't really believe it even then let alone now, they made them for shits and giggles because winding up lefties was their hobby and the more outrageous they were, the more fun they had watching the Militant, SWP et al students having aneurysms listening to them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I have little interest in hauling people over the coals for what they may have done or said many, many years ago, but it's a bit strange that teenagers that go on to become professional athletes seem to be held to a higher standard than politicians.

Foolish tweets from people before they were sportsmen; pulled out of squads, and off you go to some sensitivity training or similar BS. Worse out of a politician: no comment.

Yeah, that was my immediate thought - Olly Robinson's teenage idiotic posts (or texts or whatever they were) v Gove speaking as a Uni debate person in his 20s. Mind you sport generally cares about image and reputation with participants and spectators and sponsors and the Tories DGAF.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

it's a bit strange that teenagers that go on to become professional athletes seem to be held to a higher standard than politicians.

It’s the same in all walks of life vs politicians.

Politician caught stealing, give it back “honest mistake”

Joe public caught stealing, sacked and charged.

• Like 2

I don't feel particularly inclined to give Gove a pass, on this or much else. He's done and said plenty that's just as extreme and controversial as those comments, significantly more recently as well, including his opposition to the Good Friday Agreement and his militaristic book 'Celsius 7/7' which applauded the war on terror. There's no reason to think that he was saying controversial things just to be 'edgy', the guy is a long-standing true believer.

• Like 2

I know this was talked about around local election time On Here, so the update is that the Tories are going ahead with moving all* English** elections to first-past-the-post:

The Telegraph's summary of this as 'losers can no longer win' is obviously ridiculous. Losers by definition lose.

*Not actually all, seemingly - looks like London Assembly elections will continue to be held under the current system, but supplementary vote is going elsewhere

**Not changing outside England

• Sad 2

Â