The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, the rest is going to the NHS to fund catch up operations (in theory anyway).

So they are slipping it in (kw.gif) under the “social care reforms” headline even though 80% is going elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

So they are slipping it in (kw.gif) under the “social care reforms” headline even though 80% is going elsewhere. 

Yes, basically, though per the story they plan to hypothecate the NIC increase and then up the proportion going to social care over time. However, I don't see what reason they have to think that will actually happen, and that the NHS won't eat the money.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It's not unreasonable for them to close the tax loopholes that allow large (mainly american) multi nationals to pay **** all in tax or to stop very wealthy (largely) tory donors to avoid paying their fair share by burying their wealth in offshore tax havens before coming after the working man/woman?

This and increased taxes on second (and more) homes should surely be higher up the list for things to change, but Tories gonna Tory

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Second homes should be illegal IMO.

What?! :D

I think it's reasonable to increasingly tax additional properties, perhaps with increased council tax, but the idea of outlawing the ability to own a weekend home somewhere nice is bonkers, oppressive, and will rightfully never happen.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What?! :D

I think it's reasonable to increasingly tax additional properties, perhaps with increased council tax, but the idea of outlawing the ability to own a weekend home somewhere nice is bonkers, oppressive, and will rightfully never happen.

In the best instance, it reduces the ability of people to get on the property ladder.  In the worst, it pushes house prices sky high and forces locals out of the area they call home.  You only need to look at the complete mess in Cornwall.

People don't need a second home at all.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to my council tax going up in a few months justified by increased costs of social care again, despite this.

Tax goes up, energy prices are going up massively, food prices are going up, fuel prices are going up massively, wages are staying the same, unless you're a lorry driver. Multi-billion pound companies continue to make record profits year on year. 

Oh, and what hasn't got as much attention is that employer contributions are going up by 1.25% as well, so I hope people weren't hoping for a cost of living increase next year. Getting shafted from all directions.

Edited by Davkaus

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Not likely to be this government’s poll tax moment then 🙄...

I'll wager that will change once the details were announced, pointless poll conducted before the announcement is pointless

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, basically, though per the story they plan to hypothecate the NIC increase and then up the proportion going to social care over time. However, I don't see what reason they have to think that will actually happen, and that Boris won't eat the money.

FTFY

• Haha 1

Not happy with it and did not vote for it, but as we have to witness it I find the Bozza project quite interesting - that a Tory government is raising taxes to pay for social care/nhs backlog is on the face of it quite remarkable. If they carry on like this they will cease to be the tories as we know and hate them, and will become some odd populist hybrid. Can't sit well with all those old dragons in the 1922 committee. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I find the Bozza project quite interesting - that a Tory government is raising taxes to pay for social care/nhs backlog is on the face of it quite remarkable.

Wait for the well we can reduce your taxes if we do away with the NHS moment

Â