The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, you're probably right thinking about it - I guess it's possible that he both doesn't care about us as an electorate, but still wants to be the bloke everyone likes.

Thankfully he doesn’t have to worry about the public, they’d vote for a snake if the promise was that the opposition was worse.

• Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

As well as this, I've read this morning that Boris instructed him to make the report "palatable".

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt, remain skeptical, and not just assume the worst because they're Tories, but that benefit of the doubt is increasingly unjustifiable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As well as this, I've read this morning that Boris instructed him to make the report "palatable".

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt, remain skeptical, and not just assume the worst because they're Tories, but that benefit of the doubt is increasingly unjustifiable.

Yep

Norm breaking after norm breaking.

And when Labour get back in and continue along this path, the Tories will whinge and moan about norms once again. And it'll work and they'll get back in again.

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Indeed. I think your reading was fair enough (though Patel does have a history, I think) but the Rutnam comments were just another input - though we should also view his comments acknowledging the source, their history and the current situation wrt his legal action.

Latest revelation is that Boris asked the other MP’s to rally around and support “the Prittster” in the WhatsApp group.

Yes she’s been found guilty of shouting and abusing people in her team which usually results in dismissal but now is the time to get behind and support her.

WTF is wrong with that man?

Edited by Genie

Are there any specific examples of what Patel has done or said to people? I'm like @Davkaus, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. At the top end of politics, its a highly stressful job and feelings will get hurt at times. Haven't people seen The Thick of It! :D 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are there any specific examples of what Patel has done or said to people? I'm like @Davkaus, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. At the top end of politics, its a highly stressful job and feelings will get hurt at times. Haven't people seen The Thick of It! :D 

Guess what, they're in the report that hasn't been published

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

But unless I’m mistaken I haven’t seen any suggestions of bullying in other senior government roles. I can’t remember any accusations of bullying from previous Home Secretaries.

It will be a stressful job of course. I don’t much care for Matt Hancock but I think it’s fair to say he’s not had the easiest year and again, the only thing that springs to mind in his case is him getting annoyed at people calling him “Wankcock”.

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

Could you imagine if a manager (not the MD) of your business was shouting and swearing at members of his/her team repeatedly? And then after several warnings about his/her behaviour it carried on to the point of their being a formal investigation.

I’d be extremely surprised if someone where I work survived the sack if it happened a second time.

Theres no excuse for swearing and being abusive to your colleagues regardless of job type, especially a government job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We should also move away from 'normalising' cultures of abuse and bullying even if they are common, of course, because they are simply bad on their own terms.

Exactly this, it should not be acceptable to be shouted and swore at in work just because the boss doesn’t cope with the stress of it very well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

They're living in the 1700s, these words removed. It's mental.

It plays to the traditional tory voter.

Try to get yourself rich at others’ expense, abuse the poor, blame the foreigner, abuse the public sector, look hard on law and order, ponce around in a little tank or a ship.

51% of voters **** love it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It plays to the traditional tory voter.

Try to get yourself rich at others’ expense, abuse the poor, blame the foreigner, abuse the public sector, look hard on law and order, ponce around in a little tank or a ship.

51% of voters **** love it.

I think that's.....just a wrong characterisation of tory voters.

I mean I detest the Tory party and most of it's attitudes and philosophies (such as it's got any lasting ones) and all the rest, but I don't think "get yourself rich at others’ expense, abuse the poor, blame the foreigner, abuse the public sector, look hard on law and order, ponce around in a little tank or a ship" is how their voters see it at all.

I live in a safe tory seat, so lots of the people in town, some of my friends, the business owners and such like must be/are tories, yet none of them have that outlook. I think it's quite harmful, really to cast people (generally) that way. Of course there are some people who maybe think like that, but the overwhelming majority don't.

Very simplistically (and at the risk of kind of breaking what I've just said) it seems more like people (here) with money want to keep it, people (here) are tolerant and welcoming to foreigners, give to food banks, often work in the public sector - there's big NS&I, Land Registry and DHSS employers, as well as hospitals and council stuff here. There's also a defence factory that supports thousands of jobs. There's also a fair bit of crime not far away. People's concerns about those things and others are not based around exploiting others, abusing others, looking tough and wanting politicians poncing around in tanks.

I mean I know I can seriously get annoyed at some of the stuff that goes on round here - the Brexity VE Day stuff absolutely did my nut in, particularly as it was during lockdown, but other than spread a bit of virus amongst themselves, it was ultimately harmless and they enjoyed it without doing any abusing or exploiting.

It's getting all USA, all this casting of people as, kind of BritainTrumpers. That's not us.

• Like 1

Â