The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think it's easy to underestimate the extent to which very large parts of the population hate hearing about politics, resent people ever bringing it up or it emerging as something they need to pay attention to, and many people in that group are probably perfectly happy with someone who seems to treat it as a bit of a joke and who will spend his time in charge doing nothing much of anything that would trouble their attention.

I wonder how much influence all those old Top Gear appearances etc had in building his profile? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I wonder how much influence all those old Top Gear appearances etc had in building his profile? 

I think they're very important, but perhaps less for the TV shows themselves than for being a part of his remarkable ability to change his outward appearance, a la the chameleon. So far he's gone from playing a bomb-throwing anti-EU columnist, to a buffoonish Tory charicature bumbling on TV, to a liberal Tory mayor, to a Brexit waverer, to a Brexit warrior, to a sort of weird alt-right adjacent English nationalist pre-election, to a wannabe national cheerleader after it. I can't think of many public figures who have managed to reinvent themselves so frequently and with such ease.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

It just gets worse for Cummings. He told everyone that he stayed at a separate cottage on his father’s farm.  No planning permission was ever requested or granted for an additional cottage.  Therefore either he lied or his dad breached planning laws?  

This saga isn’t over.

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It just gets worse for Cummings. He told everyone that he stayed at a separate cottage on his father’s farm.  No planning permission was ever requested or granted for an additional cottage.  Therefore either he lied or his dad breached planning laws?  

This saga isn’t over.

Absolutely nothing is going to happen as a consequence of his dad not getting appropriate planning permission, come on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely nothing is going to happen as a consequence of his dad not getting appropriate planning permission, come on.

The Labour MP, Labour controlled council and Labour controlled planning committee may have a different view. 

It’s really not important, it’s local admin.

Apply retrospectively, if approval is denied go in to dispute for a few years.

It isn’t the same as spreading Lethal contagion the length of the land collapsing the economy and killing people, whilst driving a small ill child around to see if you crash.

But as I’ve said before, it’s the little stuff that will trip him up somewhere along the line. It’ll turn out he’s banned from driving or some such eventually.

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Absolutely ridiculous state of affairs that they all went. 

Mogg needs to be thrown in the **** sea if Sharma's test comes back positive. 

It also raises questions do they not even have the most basic of tests in place for attending Parliament? I don't mean Covid tests. I mean basic "Are you showing symptoms? Here let me take your temperature"

We do it at the entrance to our site every day. Surely somebody showing as obvious symptoms as Sharma should be sent home immediately?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

No Recourse to Public Funds update (you'll be astonished to learn that Johnson is now pretending that he never said it would be reviewed at the Liaison Committe):

Apologies for the Twitter thread, but it's an extremely important issue. People are seriously suffering because of this cruelty in the immigration legislation which his party brought in, and he promised to review why people were going hungry because they can't claim any public support during a pandemic. Now he's rowing back on it, but the hunger and the suffering isn't going away.

I've said it before, but Labour need to be pushing hard on this. **** whether it polls well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No Recourse to Public Funds update

The bit that stood out for me, in a tweet from the JCWI (and repeated in the article linked in the last tweet above - here), was this:

The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (JCWI) said Mr Johnson’s latest comments suggested he still did not understand the implications of the harsh policy.

Anyone who did “manage to jump through the hoops” and use the support he mentioned – by proving “actual destitution” – were then forced to wait a further 10 years to win permanent settlement, it said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

The bit that stood out for me, in a tweet from the JCWI (and repeated in the article linked in the last tweet above - here), was this:

It really is absolutely disgusting, and they cannot justify it when confronted with real examples of people living it (which is why they should be forced to face the human consequences of these policies at every available opportunity).

In other bad news on the immigration front:

This is the one who was pictured celebrating with two local far-right figures at a Brexit celebration on January 31st.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It does annoy me a bit when the inherent "wrongness" of Boris, the Tories, right wing politics, capitalism, money, property, etc. is just taken for granted in a political conversation.

Personally, I don't like Boris Johnson. I think he's an intellectual lightweight and a fraud, with no moral compass. I suspect he will go down as one of our all-time worst prime ministers. I've never voted Tory in my life.

But I liked @tonyh29's post because you need honest perspectives like this in any political debate, and also because he likes Big Country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

ever voted for Johnson and I don't go about supporting him. I genuinely don't recall me having praised him (usual rules apply about the search button and I'm happy to be corrected on this )

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

all that said , I do like the stance Johnson has taken with Cummings

That was a bit too easy and I didn't even need the search button 😁

• Haha 1

I’ve spent a lot of time wondering how people like Boris, Trump and Farage etc get “power” and how things like Brexit get through. I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of people seem to value “sticking it to the man” as a priority.

In each case they all strongly pledge to “not be bullied by [them], whoever that is. People seem relate to that even if it’s madness. People want a leader who is going to tell “them” the days of being pushed around are over. The fact that “we” are telling “them” it’s our way or the highway seems to be what resonates with the electorate.

So, yes, I’m quite pleased with myself that I’ve cracked the code.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

By “the stance Johnson has taken with Cummings” you of course mean lying about it over and over again?

for someone who understood what Chris was saying perfectly the other day , you suddenly seem to be having difficulty :)

I made it quite clear it was about not sacking him   

Â