The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve spent a lot of time wondering how people like Boris, Trump and Farage etc get “power” and how things like Brexit get through. I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of people seem to value “sticking it to the man” as a priority.

In each case they all strongly pledge to “not be bullied by [them], whoever that is. People seem relate to that even if it’s madness. People want a leader who is going to tell “them” the days of being pushed around are over. The fact that “we” are telling “them” it’s our way or the highway seems to be what resonates with the electorate.

So, yes, I’m quite pleased with myself that I’ve cracked the code.

Populism is a hell of a drug

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

for someone who understood what Chris was saying perfectly the other day , you suddenly seem to be having difficulty :)

I made it quite clear it was about not sacking him   

I know it’s about sacking him. But he didn’t sack him because he lied about him not breaking the rules. Had he told the truth he’d have had no choice but to sack him. So the two things are intertwined. He lied about it specifically to avoid sacking him (or Cummings having to resign)

It’s nothing to do with social media. I’ve seen you attribute a lot of stuff to social media (despite apparently not using it). If this had happened 20 years ago the reaction to Cummings’ actions would have been largely the same. Less people might be talking about it, sure, social media gives a platform to more people and more people know about it. 

But it’s not like nobody paid attention until there was some sort of Twitter campaign. It was in the mainstream media immediately. 

Dismissing it as trial by social media is just trivialising an issue to play it down. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve spent a lot of time wondering how people like Boris, Trump and Farage etc get “power” and how things like Brexit get through. I’ve come to the conclusion that a lot of people seem to value “sticking it to the man” as a priority.

In each case they all strongly pledge to “not be bullied by [them], whoever that is. People seem relate to that even if it’s madness. People want a leader who is going to tell “them” the days of being pushed around are over. The fact that “we” are telling “them” it’s our way or the highway seems to be what resonates with the electorate.

So, yes, I’m quite pleased with myself that I’ve cracked the code.

I sorta agree with what you are saying  , Most people aren't that politically active , even last year when we were being told  Corbyn had won every debate , had the best policies , Johnson was in hiding etc , people still went out and voted Tory .. this appears to have been mainly on the "Get Brexit done" pledge , but I'm not sure that was sticking it to the man , I think that was just " please make this saga end "

If we took  the last few years  I'd have said that Corbyn was the "stick it to the man" vote  , he came close(ish) to beating May almost because she was the robotic establishment vote   , he appealed to those that like to take to the streets at every opportunity , the smash the state (and any nearby McDonald's)    type crowd  .... but people didn't appear to want to stick it to the man , they wanted same old , same old , thus they voted May and Johnson

I think the reason Johnson won the last election so handsomely was because of Corbyn. Not necessarily corbyn’s fault (entirely). But just the perception of Corbyn. The amount of times I’d speak to people about it and they’d say they could never vote for Corbyn. 

They’d rarely be able to come up with a reason, but they just knew they couldn’t vote for Corbyn. Why that is is another question. With a better leader (hopefully) it might be a different story

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

this appears to have been mainly on the "Get Brexit done" pledge , but I'm not sure that was sticking it to the man

It was an end to us “being bullied and told what to do (at great expense) by the unelected bureaucrats in the EU”.

As mentioned before, having well thought out costed policies and calling out the opposition failings seems to lose out to “it’s time to take back control”.

Edited by Genie

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the reason Johnson won the last election so handsomely was because of Corbyn. Not necessarily corbyn’s fault (entirely). But just the perception of Corbyn. The amount of times I’d speak to people about it and they’d say they could never vote for Corbyn. 

They’d rarely be able to come up with a reason, but they just knew they couldn’t vote for Corbyn. Why that is is another question. With a better leader (hopefully) it might be a different story

Corbyn wasn't perfect, but the media did a proper job on him. 

I mean, the media stopped caring about antisemitism soon after the election.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know it’s about sacking him. But he didn’t sack him because he lied about him not breaking the rules. Had he told the truth he’d have had no choice but to sack him. So the two things are intertwined. He lied about it specifically to avoid sacking him (or Cummings having to resign)

It’s nothing to do with social media. I’ve seen you attribute a lot of stuff to social media (despite apparently not using it). If this had happened 20 years ago the reaction to Cummings’ actions would have been largely the same. Less people might be talking about it, sure, social media gives a platform to more people and more people know about it. 

But it’s not like nobody paid attention until there was some sort of Twitter campaign. It was in the mainstream media immediately. 

Dismissing it as trial by social media is just trivialising an issue to play it down. 

Edit - removed comment , was prob a bit more tetchy than required ,sorry

People pretty much cut and paste twitter into VT , facebook  , so I can't really avoid it  , I don't use social media in that its my source of news , nor do i go out seeking stuff to share on a  forum or Facebook  , my facebook page is out there in the public domain for anyone to check it if they wish  , its for holiday stuff , pictures of me looking slightly worse for wear and jokes ..not politics

Cummings  we've done this , people had their views on it , i felt there should be more consistency from people on the subject , others disagreed and that it was only about Cummings because he "wrote the rules"   ..  I don't think it was playing it down , others may differ

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

There was the leaked Whatsapp thing but not a lot since  ....  tbf I think there were more important things for the media to concentrate on , like did Cummins once go to a pick n mix store and eat one of those fizzy cola bottle things  without paying for it :)

( joke before anyone gets on the trivialisation trial )

28 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Yeah that’s kind of what I was getting at but I didn’t want to open that can of worms

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that’s kind of what I was getting at but I didn’t want to open that can of worms

It is remarkable how quickly the existential threat to Judaism in the UK disappeared when the bloke more in support of protecting a Jewish cemetery than the Jewish MP for the area got ditched.

Laughably predictable in its remarkableness mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But Boris proved it was all okay by showing us the pair of glasses he has to now wear as a direct result of (allegedly) having the virus.

Were you not appeased by that along with the rest of Britain?

• Haha 1

Of all the people to pick for consistency or counter argument, the boy Kinnock really is the wrong example.

I reckon I’ve had multiple goes at that little shit over the years. He really is the wrong argument from the wrong people.

From memory without a search, I’ve criticised his visit to his dad, his attitude to Brexit, his attitude to Tata Steel, his dubious tax affairs and where he lives and where he schools his kids, his attitude to Welsh Independence and I know for a fact I’ve had a rant about his shoes.

I’m actually a bit worried that if he goes missing I might be in the frame.

• Haha 3

Under pressure, UK government releases NHS COVID data deals with big tech

Hours before openDemocracy was due to sue, government releases massive data-sharing contracts with Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Faculty and Palantir.

Opendemocracy

What sort of scum do the the Tory filth want to share our NHS records with?

Obviously they hastily changed some of the deals when they realised they were being forced to go public - rocket polishers.

They want to negotiate post Brexit trade deals with the US without scrutiny too.

Wonder why?

• Like 1

Bayer shareholders voted to pay £2.75bn in dividends just weeks before the firm received £600m as part of the British government's emergency loan scheme. Photo: Adam Berry, Getty Images

Chemicals manufacturers BASF and Bayer have been given enormous payouts of  Covid-19 support cash from the British government just weeks after announcing plans to distribute billions to shareholders in dividends.

The world’s largest chemicals company BASF, which makes agricultural, industrial and automotive products at its eight UK plants, has received £1 billion in support funding — by far the biggest payout so far agreed under the UK scheme.

The news comes just weeks before BASF shareholders will vote  on a proposal for the company distribute to more than three times that amount to them in dividends, the chemicals giant confirmed to Unearthed.

Meanwhile Bayer, which acquired Monsanto in 2018 and is one of the industry’s biggest players in its own right, was handed £600 million – the same amount given to troubled airlines Ryanair and easyJet to much fanfare.

The Bayer bailout, disclosed by Bank of England this afternoon in its latest update on its COVID corporate financing facility, happened just weeks after shareholders approved a plan to distribute dividends worth £2.75 billion.

When contacted by Unearthed to see whether the dividends had already been paid out, Bayer failed to respond.

Unearthed

The more online chat there is about this, the less likely it will happen.

Let's just watch.

• Like 1

Â