The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

As you say, he won't get what he wants and he'll not achieve his aim, but he'd be utterly mad to call one, because that's him out of his job, so I don't see it being a choice thing for him. If we assume he wins leader of baby eaters vote, then he will then lose any baby eating majority, due to one or two tories resigning their baby eating cards. So leader of a minority Gov't. But that's still for him better than not being in government.

He's going to be stuck by his promise to leave whatever way by end October. On paper there's the option for the EU to not agree to extend things further, and for the UK to therefore leave with no deal at end October. But, because there's no will in parliament on those lines, quite the opposite, AND because the UK is not and will not be remotely prepared for "no deal", because (away from all the bollex being talked) the reality is the outcome of that would be utterly catastrophic, neither Johnson nor parliament will accept that option. There would, I suspect, be a last minute effort which would either mean accepting the WA as it is, or a referendum, or revoking A50 or an election. If you look at those options from a Johnson perspective, then the current version of the deal is the least unpalatable. Yes I know it has 3 times failed to go through, but faced with implacable powerful opposition to no deal, to revoking A50 and probably for a referendum, that looks right now the least unlikely outcome - he'll be trying to get some tweaked wording around it, the EU will probably let that happen and if that goes through, then maybe if the baby eaters get a lift in the polls and Labour are still an absolute shambles (which they will be unless they change leader), there might then be an election. The tories will still lose it, mind. Another hung parliament, but with more smaller parties representation.

I sort of agree with most of that logic except we're talking about someone who suffers from Superman Syndrome much like Cameron before him, he thinks he can do it, he thinks he can win an election because he is who he is. He won't do it straight away but the first signs in a change of fortune for them and blam he'll go to the country

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

he thinks he can win an election because he is who he is

If that's true, it'll almost immediately change once he actually gets the job and people start saying no to him, or resigning, or voting against, I reckon. He's like Trump in that regard - he needs to be approved of, and if (when) he isn't he'll go all cranky and moody.

When he's faced with "if you do X the army will be on the streets, farmers will be going bust, the big carmakers start pulling out..endless streams of dreadful news..."Boris, that's your legacy - the man who wrecked the UK, who took us out the EU and brought utter turmoil and recession and job losses and riots and the return of terror to NI and queues at the ports and strikes and ..." He'll blink, more than blink, because he doesn't actually believe in all this Brexit stuff, he just did it to get the job of PM. He won't have a clue what to do with it.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Now that we know the charges, it reflects pretty horrendously on May and her team.

"The Conservatives - where allegations of sexual assault are more serious than your career, but less serious than ours"

To be honest, it reflected extremely badly on them even before we knew the charges. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, it reflected extremely badly on them even before we knew the charges. 

Well yes, that's true for you, me and the rest of us with a functioning moral compass.

But a standard Tory criminality issue of crashing your Mercedes into an ambulance while drunk at 2am, or embezzling funds pledged to the local orphanage pretty much come with the rosette and membership card.

It's a bit harder for your average Sir Bufton-Tufton to give it the old "well, you know what Charlie's like..." when it's about allegedly sexually assaulting his parliamentary researchers.

Edited - probably needs an "allegedly" in there somewhere.

Edited by ml1dch

2 hours ago, blandy said:

If that's true, it'll almost immediately change once he actually gets the job and people start saying no to him, or resigning, or voting against, I reckon. He's like Trump in that regard - he needs to be approved of, and if (when) he isn't he'll go all cranky and moody. 

Armchair psychology corner: I think Trump has a desperate, insatiable need to be affirmed,  and the story of his life is about that frustrated pursuit.

With Johnson, he clearly has a drive to get the PM job, but there is no sign that it's for any reason other than winning the position.  He has no clear and consistent expressed view about what he wants to do.

He also seems not as needy as Trump.  A weird bloke and all the rest, but not as obviously damaged and deranged as Trump.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could cope quite well with being thrown out after a few weeks, if winning the position is the big driver.  I don't see him making any coherent plans to keep the position by building alliances.

The piece by O'Toole that I linked earlier is interesting in this respect.  Johnson seems to see himself as someone who screws up, usually by his own hand.  He doesn't seem to be able to take corrective action about that.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

He also seems not as needy as Trump.  A weird bloke and all the rest, but not as obviously damaged and deranged as Trump.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could cope quite well with being thrown out after a few weeks, if winning the position is the big driver.

Agreed on the first part, but the second? Maybe it’s like a footballer who retires and is lost. If you’ve spent ages trying to get something and then lose it or get it even, then what do you do?  The abyss of having nothing, but having fleetingly “succeeded”. Emptiness and failure will haunt him. An ego deflated.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Agreed on the first part, but the second? Maybe it’s like a footballer who retires and is lost. If you’ve spent ages trying to get something and then lose it or get it even, then what do you do?  The abyss of having nothing, but having fleetingly “succeeded”. Emptiness and failure will haunt him. An ego deflated.

Possibly, though I'm not sure Johnson is ever deflated for long.  He seems like a caricature of someone who is always relentlessly, and groundlessly, content.

His career so far has been stumbling from one cock-up to another, a series of failures and making enemies while being well rewarded in money and with unjustified praise.

He seems to thrive on it, and doesn't seem to be troubled with any concerns about what a total arse he makes of anything he touches.  But I suppose if your life consists of people throwing large sums of money at you for doing pretty much nothing, while paying homage and wittering about what a great guy you are, you might develop a strong sense of self-confidence.

His first speech... "Unite the country and defeat Jeremy Corbyn". Ffs.

Boris Johnson is the leader of this country. Jesus wept.

This feels worse then when I woke up to the news that Cameron had won, that Trump had won, that Brexit had won, that May had been elected. It keeps getting worse and theres no end in sight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

His first speech... "Unite the country and defeat Jeremy Corbyn". Ffs.

Boris Johnson is the leader of this country. Jesus wept.

This feels worse then when I woke up to the news that Cameron had won, that Trump had won, that Brexit had won, that May had been elected. It keeps getting worse and theres no end in sight. 

I'll give him a chance see what he can do. He wasn't a bad mayor for us in London. I think hunt would have been worse. What that rocket polisher has done to the nhs I'll never forgive him.

Barely has control in Parliament and a far less overwhelmingly dominant membership majority than expected, as a deeply controversial figure facing an issue that tears the party (and country) in half...

...it's going to be a shit show.

Â