The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Resigned, making May look even weaker, and looked bloody delighted as she did.

Expect next Conservative PM to reward her, whilst she should in truth never serve in a cabinet again. And there's an argument she shouldn't be in Commons full stop.

• Like 3

So she had the meetings.  Did I read it was against the advice of her civil servants, meaning it would have been known in the civil service and therefore by May's team?

After it comes out, she is reprimanded.  More meetings are then discovered, showing an even more flagrant disregard for the rules on ministerial conduct (rules which of course she knows, even schoolchildren doing basic politics courses know it).

She is asked to return, involving a journey of several hours while May panics and tries to ensure support behind the scenes and ensuring prolonged media updates throughout the day.  She then gets to present it as a resignation, not a sacking.

What a stark illustration of the utter powerlessness of the PM, floundering around instead of acting.  Presumably taking soundings, making sure that whatever course of action she takes will be at least tacitly supported by enough people to head off a challenge to May herself,  at least for today.

How utterly pathetic.  If she had a shred of dignity left, she would face them down like Major did, and call an election.

How she must regret that "strong and stable" line.  It's like an invitation to mock her.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, peterms said:

How utterly pathetic.  If she had a shred of dignity left, she would .... call an election.

I'm not sure that her record in that regard is overly successful (much like her record in all other areas).

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

More like the group of the undead

Yes.  If you tried to represent the current state of the tory party with a film, surely it would be Night of the Living Dead.  Zombie figures stumbling aimlessly, inflicting random acts of violence and destruction on things and people within their reach, something of a herd mentality but stopping short of a collective sense of purpose, lacking any awareness that their time is gone and all that remains is to dispose of them.  But the film lasted less than a couple of hours, as I recall.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes.  If you tried to represent the current state of the tory party with a film, surely it would be Night of the Living Dead...

... set on the Titanic.

It's really scary. Us being the passengers and everything.

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

... set on the Titanic.

It's really scary. Us being the passengers and everything.

Time for Mutiny on the Bounty.

Set May, Fox, Johnson and Davies adrift on a raft made of plastic Lucozade bottles lashed together with liquorice strings, with a coathanger, a ball of twine, a copy of Kipling's collected poems, and a map of the British Empire circa 1873.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The resignation letter is shite. And basically has a threat at the end.

It says a lot about her as does the smirk across her face as she was driven from Downing Street. She has always come across as an arrogant bitch and this whole episode shows that she is. 

She probably feels she has got one over on her weak leader and being allowed to resign the door is open for her to come again when she should have been sacked and made to stand down as an MP.

Yeah I can't say I was her biggest fan in the first place but the grin after resigning has me hoping for a car accident in her future.

She's now just going to revert to outright Brexit word removed and bide her time in the backbenches waiting for her reward.

Basically, if you're a minister or on a select committee you get to be inept at your job, tell huge lies, be a sexual predator and be 'lobbied' and at worst you write a letter saying how sorry you are and carry on being an MP. 

'Cus it's okay once you 'resign'.

We let them off the hook.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Scumbag attending an event celebrating another scumbag being a scumbag for 25 years. 

No surprise that she is sucking up to 'the Tory mouthpiece. Not even the right wing rags can save her now though.

Â