The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The whole tax problem stems from one attitude "well if they do it, why shouldn't I?" and that attitude isn't exclusive to the rich.  

I'm an average paid bloke, in a average house, with an average car blah blah, I've been paid cash before and not declared it (when I was a student) - I'm responsible for poorer people than I suffering to some degree. 

The rich/super rich do it, just on a bigger scale.

Builders do it, small shop owners do it. 

Almost every does, or has done it.  

What's the solution?  

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

1) she's rich

2) she didn't chant "oh Jeremy Corbyn " like a moron at her last garden party

I'm with @Risso here :o I don't think the Queen's doing a lot wrong with this.

Investing in BrightHouse is a bit of a kick in the teeth for her working class subjects.

But she's hardly avoiding paying tax she doesn't have to anyway.

It's why it's a good thing Corbyn stopped short of telling her to apologise by just saying anyone avoiding tax in an immoral way should apologise. Although I'm sure he enjoyed having the moral high ground.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Turns out this Lord Polak guy who accompanied Ms Patel on her jaunt to Israel is a professional lobbyist, who also happens to be a member of the legislature, as if such a thing weren't an absurd joke. 

Absurd isn’t the word I’d use. Corrupt would be more like it.

its the same on both sides though... there’s Labour Friends of Israel and Conservative Friends of Israel. Israel has an amazing amount of friends in the House of Commons, they both claim to be two state solutionists but every time Israel encroaches they say sod all even though between them they’d win a vote in the HoC easily

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

No the poor woman’s husband when he was begging Boris to retract his ill informed crap in a newspaper article yesterday. That well known bastion of revolutionary fervour The Times I think it was

ah so the Iranians told the womans husband it was directly in relation to Boris's comments ..got ya

meanwhile  Javad Zarif (Boris's Iranian counterpart but without the wild hair and less buffoonery ) told Johnson that any developments in the case “were unrelated to the foreign secretary’s remarks” and he was committed to finding a solution.

19 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm with @Risso here :o I don't think the Queen's doing a lot wrong with this.

Investing in BrightHouse is a bit of a kick in the teeth for her working class subjects.

But she's hardly avoiding paying tax she doesn't have to anyway.

It's why it's a good thing Corbyn stopped short of telling her to apologise by just saying anyone avoiding tax in an immoral way should apologise. Although I'm sure he enjoyed having the moral high ground.

its a good thing he did actually tell her to apologise , but his cult members are now spreading  the word that of course he didn't :P

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its a good thing he did actually tell her to apologise , but his cult members are now spreading  the word that of course he didn't :P

Actually didn't though

Earlier Mr Corbyn was asked by The Telegraph at the CBI conference whether the Queen should “apologise for her private estate making offshore investments as revealed in the Paradise Papers”.

Anyone who is putting money into tax havens in order to avoid taxation in Britain, and obviously investigations have to take place, should do two things - not just apologise for it but also recognise what it does to our society. Because if a very wealthy person wants to avoid taxation in Britain and put money into a tax haven somewhere. Who loses? Schools hospitals, all those public services lose and the rest of the population have to pay to cover up the deficit created by that.

Can you point out where he says 'The Queen' or anywhere referring to the Queen directly?

I'm not bothered either way. I just think things need to be reported accurately.

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

ah so the Iranians told the womans husband it was directly in relation to Boris's comments ..got ya

meanwhile  Javad Zarif (Boris's Iranian counterpart but without the wild hair and less buffoonery ) told Johnson that any developments in the case “were unrelated to the foreign secretary’s remarks” and he was committed to finding a solution.

UK confirms Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was not in Iran for Holiday

IRAN  - "When I look at what Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was doing, she was simply teaching people journalism as I understand it," Boris Johnson, UK Foreign Secretary, told a parliamentary select committee last week.

His statement shows that Nazanin had visited the country for anything but a holiday. For months it was claimed that Nazanin is a British-Iranian charity worker who went to see her family when she was arrested.

"She was simply going on holiday, making a routine visit with her daughter Gabriella to visit her parents living in Tehran," the Guardian falsely claimed.

Richard Ratcliffe, Nazanin's husband, also claimed that she was accused of a plot to topple the Iranian government, insisting that she is innocent.

Mr Johnson's statement has shed new light on the realities about Nazanin, which has been strongly denied previously by both her family and Human Right activists such as Shirin Ebadi.

That website claims to be the site for the Judiciary of the IR of Iran. Is it a fake?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

Absurd isn’t the word I’d use. Corrupt would be more like it.

its the same on both sides though... there’s Labour Friends of Israel and Conservative Friends of Israel. Israel has an amazing amount of friends in the House of Commons, they both claim to be two state solutionists but every time Israel encroaches they say sod all even though between them they’d win a vote in the HoC easily

I agree, this isn't a party political point. It's also not really about Israel. The issue is that it isn't - or shouldn't be anyway - acceptable for a member of the legislature to be the chairman of a lobbying company. Here is his website: http://www.twcassociates.uk/#intro

You can see how he boasts about his ability to 'help guide our clients through what appears to many outsiders as a very complicated structure'; to 'provide insight and knowledge on the difficulties of the parliamentary and legislative system' and '[use] our expertise to overcome these complexities'

I remember when 'Cash for Questions' was a national scandal. But this guy just openly monetises his Rolodex while sitting in the House of Lords and nobody cares. Why? Because the House of Lords is a corrupt cesspit and a stain on our democracy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Actually didn't though

Earlier Mr Corbyn was asked by The Telegraph at the CBI conference whether the Queen should “apologise for her private estate making offshore investments as revealed in the Paradise Papers”.

Can you point out where he says 'The Queen' or anywhere referring to the Queen directly?

I'm not bothered either way. I just think things need to be reported accurately.

can you point out where he says "Anyone , except for the Queen"

again I'm not fussed about he story , just kinda amused as team Corbyn come up with yet another justification of why he was misunderstood , whilst demanding Boris resigned for something he said

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

That website claims to be the site for the Judiciary of the IR of Iran. Is it a fake?

dunno ..but  in internet Top Trumps , who wins  , the Foreign Affairs Minister of Iran or the website of the Judiciary of the IR of Iran  ?

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

dunno ..but  in internet Top Trumps , who wins  , the Foreign Affairs Minister of Iran or the website of the Judiciary of the IR of Iran  ?

Seeing as though it's a judicial matter, I'd have thought the latter.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

can you point out where he says "Anyone , except for the Queen"

again I'm not fussed about he story , just kinda amused as team Corbyn come up with yet another justification of why he was misunderstood

It's like with anti-semitism, Tony. When asked if he condemned anti-semitism, he said "I condemn all racism" - which (so we're told) clearly is a condemnation of anti-semitism, despite not mentioning it. So in the same way (except for being the complete polar opposite) when asked if he condemns the Queen [for tax dodging] and he said "anyone avoiding tax in an immoral way should apologise" (using Darren's quote of him) - and that's Corbyn stopping short of telling her to apologise...whereas he wasn't stopping short of condemning anti-semitism, despite using the same wording technique. Don't you see? But that's kind of off topic for this thread , which is supposed to be about the ever more clueless effwits in the tory party. But frankly they're almost beyond words, now, they're that bad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe their Foreign Affairs Minister is as catastrophically ill-informed as our Foreign Secretary. 

Indeed.

His performance on this topic in parliament is pretty shoddy, too - but it's just one awful government 'effort' in a growing list of them so far today (Brexit impact assessments and then Priti Patel on tour).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe their Foreign Affairs Minister is as catastrophically ill-informed as our Foreign Secretary. 

From my understanding, it's to do with who controls what in Iran.

The Judiciary is independent of the Government and still reports to the Revolutionary Guard, under the control of the Supreme Leader.

So their reasonable, modernising, comparitively liberal Foreign Affairs Minister can be completely well-meaning, but the whole thing is being dealt with by the mental, theocratic side of the political structure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

do you think it's possible that our Foreign Secretary has been briefed on what she actually was doing out there and let it slip (equally catastrophic )  ?

Amnesty international fwiw believe her to be locked up in relation to her work with  BBC Action media  , which is linked to a BBC training course offered to Iranian journalists... which appears to be somewhat similar to what Boris said ?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

do you think it's possible that our Foreign Secretary has been briefed on what she actually was doing out there and let it slip (equally catastrophic )  ?

Amnesty international fwiw believe her to be locked up in relation to her work with  BBC Action media  , which is linked to a BBC training course offered to Iranian journalists... which appears to be somewhat similar to what Boris said ?

That was my suspicion as well.

• Like 1

Â