The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I always thought it was very moving the way she almost met the residents of Grenfell and then almost got something done about Grenfell.

38 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I always thought it was very moving the way she almost met the residents of Grenfell and then almost got something done about Grenfell.

Came across as a true Tory. Full on Maybot. Not an ounce of humanity in there.  

Strangely I have some respect for May solely based on what came before and after her. Was she the best of an absolutely horrendous bunch? 

I assume it’s a case by case basis, but as a general rule of thumb, is it better or worse for a party if a mp stands down?

I know if they’re standing down it’s likely not good, but I’m just wondering how much, if any, sting it takes out of a potential defeat for the party in that constituency.

Because people might have felt “You know what I’m looking forward to? Giving Raab a (metaphorical) kicking on election night. That’s gonna be sweeeeeet.” And then he says he’s quitting and people might feel less inclined to give fresh faced Tory the same (metaphorical) kicking.

5 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Strangely I have some respect for May solely based on what came before and after her. Was she the best of an absolutely horrendous bunch? 

I think it's fine to just consider them all *****.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I assume it’s a case by case basis, but as a general rule of thumb, is it better or worse for a party if a mp stands down?

There's a bit of incumbency bias which helps, probably name recognition as the main factor. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Although Cameron opened the door to Brexit, May imposing her red lines to please the far right of her party is what turned it into such a shitshow

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know if they’re standing down it’s likely not good, but I’m just wondering how much, if any, sting it takes out of a potential defeat for the party in that constituency.

Because people might have felt “You know what I’m looking forward to? Giving Raab a (metaphorical) kicking on election night. That’s gonna be sweeeeeet.” And then he says he’s quitting and people might feel less inclined to give fresh faced Tory the same (metaphorical) kicking.

I don't think it makes the most difference as people overwhelmingly vote for the party, or more accurately the leader of it, rather than the individual.  This is often shown when for whatever reasons an existing MP resigns from their party to run as an independent and then almost always loses. Like Frank Field last time when he was actually a brexit supporter in a leave consitutency but still lost once he got thrown out of the patry.

• Like 1

I don’t understand what voters want sometimes.

If you phone emergency services there is a decent chance they will not turn up. Hospitals are failing, schools are failing, they are passing the cost of local government on to us, so the swimming pools are closing and the sports fields are being sold for housing without amenity.

They’ve just put some extra money in the pockets of people that earn £55k by increasing tax on people that earn £21k.

Yet voters still aren’t happy.

A fickle bunch.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Genie said:

Why is London getting any money is my question. Levelling up was for the UK outside of the south east to get investment to “level it up” to the facilities and infrastructure of the London region.

Not only is London getting money, it’s getting more than the entirety of Wales. It’s madness. They couldn’t even be arsed to disguise the Canary Wharf investment by saying it’s from another fund, they are calling it levelling up. What is it levelling up with? 

It would be like the PL giving out money to PL clubs to level up with the big 4 of 5, but then giving Man City more money than the entire bottom half of the table combined.

You'd be mistaken for thinking that "levelling up" meant equating the levels of worse-off areas to that of more well-off ones like London.

What "levelling up" actually means is increasing the levels of all areas of the country from their current state to an improved one. And by all areas of the country, that of course means London only.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Like Frank Field last time when he was actually a brexit supporter in a leave consitutency but still lost once he got thrown out of the patry.

Ah, yes, Frank Field, I remember you. 

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I don’t understand what voters want sometimes.

If you phone emergency services there is a decent chance they will not turn up. Hospitals are failing, schools are failing, they are passing the cost of local government on to us, so the swimming pools are closing and the sports fields are being sold for housing without amenity.

They’ve just put some extra money in the pockets of people that earn £55k by increasing tax on people that earn £21k.

Yet voters still aren’t happy.

A fickle bunch.

Yeah but it would be worse under Labour

Theresa May is the PM who defined brexit in a way that made it impossible.  She went so far to the right she caused years of friction across Europe.

Will never forget this revelation either which went down like a led balloon in Ireland

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â