The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

33 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I'm sorry, I just can't resist.

It sounds like me when I have gone for a swim at Skegness in May.

Don't apologise on my behalf. But Skeggy seems a long way to go for a cold swim when the northern pacific is right on your patch :D

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Don't apologise on my behalf. But Skeggy seems a long way to go for a cold swim when the northern pacific is right on your patch :D

That was in the days I lived in Brum. It was a long way to go for a quick booze-up back then. Yeah, the Pacific is only an hour's flight. And don't forget the nearest bit of the Pacific is not a million miles from the 49th parallel.

• Like 1

Nearly 45,000 people have arrived in the UK on small boats since the government signed its "world-first" deal to send asylum seekers to Rwanda, new analysis shows.

A review of government figures by the Press Association shows that since 1 January, almost 5,000 people have crossed the Channel into the UK, including more than 1,000 in the last week alone.

A year ago today, the government - then led by Boris Johnson - announced the deal with the east African nation. But 365 days on, no flights have taken off due to legal challenges lodged against the policy.

I think it’s fair to say this deterrent has failed.

link

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think it’s fair to say this deterrent has failed.

link

I think this is what the Tories want. They want the legal challenges and they want to lose them. They can then push to come out of the ECHR and potentially look to make that a big part of their 2024 election manifesto. All this bollocks, which is what it is in the grand scheme of things, is also a cracking distraction for them from the things that really matter like their destruction of the NHS, decimation of adult social care, lack of housing, that they have pushed millions of children into poverty, overseen the biggest drop in living standards in generations, the Brexit shambles, tanking the economy etc etc etc..... There will be plenty of gammon lapping it up though and foaming at their snouts.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

They'd have reported them all if it wasn't for those lefty judges

Damn Lawyers and Judge, you know, following the law. How dare they!

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think this is what the Tories want. They want the legal challenges and they want to lose them. They can then push to come out of the ECHR and potentially look to make that a big part of their 2024 election manifesto.

This does makes quite a lot of sense to be honest. It's utter rubbish though and as usual will make everything worse. 

When phot ops happen, and this applies to all parties, but mostly tories, they have a photo op, be that in a factory or a school, or in this case outside of a pub, what is it that allows people to rid themselves of any critical thought and think that's a famous person, they are appallingly awful, but I will grin like an idiot for the cameras.I hate people, I really do.

• Like 1

Closest I've come to meeting any of them was when Call Me Dave and his lib dem sidekick visited my office. I made myself scarce that day as I thought meeting them would become a CV generating event :) 

• Like 3

Around the time of the financial crash of 2008 Gordon Brown visited JLR. It was just after he’d turned them down for a cheap Government loan (justification being the parent company TATA had plenty of money and should stump up instead, which is probably fair).

People were encouraged to wait in the foyer as he arrived, when he walked in it was initially greeted with silence and then a really pathetic ripple of applause. I’m sure he felt incredibly awkward.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

When phot ops happen, and this applies to all parties, but mostly tories, they have a photo op, be that in a factory or a school, or in this case outside of a pub, what is it that allows people to rid themselves of any critical thought and think that's a famous person, they are appallingly awful, but I will grin like an idiot for the cameras.I hate people, I really do.

I put it down to Social Meejah, every word removed in the world is a photographer now, except they aren't.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Around the time of the financial crash of 2008 Gordon Brown visited JLR. It was just after he’d turned them down for a cheap Government loan (justification being the parent company TATA had plenty of money and should stump up instead, which is probably fair).

People were encouraged to wait in the foyer as he arrived, when he walked in it was initially greeted with silence and then a really pathetic ripple of applause. I’m sure he felt incredibly awkward.

And how would you know this? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Closest I've come to meeting any of them was when Call Me Dave and his lib dem sidekick visited my office. I made myself scarce that day as I thought meeting them would become a CV generating event :) 

Out in the distant shires, I’ve had the same experience. Back when Osbourne was chancellor he did a non publicity visit to our hangar to look at our secret project. I had to restrain myself from going into the main hangar, from my desk in a side room, and haranguing him for being a word removed. There’s quite a lot of them come and visit and it’s easy enough not to respond to any invitation to be photographed with the twunts.

Sunak to be investigated by commons oversight committee over failure to declare an interest in a childcare company his wife has shares in.

Alok Sharma also facing accusations of bullying from senior civil servants, this on the back of the Dominic Raab claims which should be published soon

Just another day in Tory paradise

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The people in the photo probably don’t think the famous people are appallingly awful - most likely local party volunteers and supporters?

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sunak to be investigated by commons oversight committee over failure to declare an interest in a childcare company his wife has shares in.

Alok Sharma also facing accusations of bullying from senior civil servants, this on the back of the Dominic Raab claims which should be published soon

Just another day in Tory paradise

I wonder if we could introduce a system where elected representatives, senior civil servants, and their immediate families are only allowed to invest in a selection of approved UK tracker funds.

Means they can still hold stocks, and gives them some skin in the game in terms of the overall performance of the UK economy, while not having any special interest in specific companies winning govt contracts.

Would this be workable?

• Like 1

Â