The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Sky News this morning clearly making the direct link to Sunak, Lots of images of them together, clapping on a doorstep, introducing Sunak at the launch of his campaign etc

Also saying that Raab was his number 2 and you don't lose a number 2 without it having consequences, especially so close to the local election campaign.

They also quite rightly made the point that all three of the "resignations" under Sunak were for people he appointed, who already had the stench of an investigation hanging over them when he appointed them, so it also goes to Sunak's judgement.

Raab going out swinging isn't going to help, it's just going to keep it rumbling on a while (thanks Dom). I can't see how the style of Raab's departure is going to help Sunak one bit

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bickster said:

They also quite rightly made the point that all three of the "resignations" under Sunak were for people he appointed, who already had the stench of an investigation hanging over them when he appointed them, so it also goes to Sunak's judgement.

To be fair, finding a squeaky clean one might have been a bit of a problem. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

To be fair, finding a squeaky clean one might have been a bit of a problem. 

Well quite but picking people already under investigation seems a little stupid and shows what deals he had to make to get the job

The fact there are several complainants across 3 different departments would suggest he is a bit of a word removed, but from what I've read I don't entirely disagree with his arguments that the bar was set dreadfully low. I particularly take issue with this part, summarised by the Guardian, so not exactly a publication extending a great deal of sympathy to Raab

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/21/findings-dominic-raab-bullying-investigation

Raab argued his behaviour should only count as bullying if he knew it was bullying, or clearly should have known. Tolley disagreed, saying it was the victim’s experience that mattered more than Raab’s intention.  The KC argued bullying could constitute “personal styles, which feel like bullying (or other misconduct) to the individual, but are not intended to be so and where the perpetrator may often be unaware of the impact”.

Which to me, seems a lot like "regardless of your intent, your knowledge of the impact, or what you reasonably should have known the impact to be, if someone feels like a victim, they're a victim, and you're wrong".

There are pieces of it which do suggest a rather unpleasant working environment, this bit jumped out at me as being particularly distasteful, so I'm not saying the report is wrong, Raab certainly sounds like a challenging, generally unpleasant person to work for, but there are a few bits of the findings that are certainly not above criticism.

If a relatively minor issue was not solved, Tolley said Raab would “press repeatedly to identify the very junior official responsible” and order a more senior staff member to deliver a personal apology.

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s perhaps wiser to read the actual report. That’s says

Also in the report is a copy of the standard (code) to which ministers are obliged to behave.

Bang to rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/21/dominic-raab-resigns-as-deputy-pm-after-bullying-allegations?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

contains the embedded report

Thanks for providing relevant excerpts, but like hell am I interested enough to read a 48 page legal document and I don't think it's generally unreasonable (or unwise) to rely on a variety of summaries from journalists rather than reading all source text myself

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Thanks for providing relevant excerpts, but like hell am I interested enough to read a 48 page legal document and I don't think it's generally unreasonable (or unwise) to rely on a variety of summaries from journalists rather than reading all source text myself

Which, it has to be said, is exactly what Raab relying on everyone doing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah. I read it because of what @bannedfromHandV wrote about what constitutes bullying these days being a bit vague, which seems true. It’s kind of one of those things which you know when you see it, but it’s difficult to describe and a curiosity as to whether something I personally did would be deemed to be bullying.

As for Raab, total bell and massive hypocrite.

• Like 1

So yesterday's (very expensive) test of the national alert system was provided and engineered by Infosys using millions of pounds of taxpayers money.

That's Infosys - the company that Rishi Sunak's father in law owns.

It seems impossible to overestimate the lengths to which they'll go to steal from the public.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's something oddly North Korea about this.

I think it's just really odd. All of it. That guy shouting too. What the **** is going on with the running popo!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think it's just really odd. All of it. That guy shouting too. What the **** is going on with the running popo!!!

I must admit, I hadn't watched it with the sound up.

Those police don't look like they particularly enjoy running alongside a pampered puppet midget in six cars - a couple of those had "stroke risk" written all over them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So yesterday's (very expensive) test of the national alert system was provided and engineered by Infosys using millions of pounds of taxpayers money.

That's Infosys - the company that Rishi Sunak's father in law owns.

It seems impossible to overestimate the lengths to which they'll go to steal from the public.

Stop having a go at his family. They have been nothing but consistent in their morality surrounding this company that none of them have nothing to do with.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's something oddly North Korea about this.

WTF is that all about? He needs security of course, but why on earth does he have that many people? and what did the police officers on foot do to be punished like that? Are these the wife beaters that the Met is trying to get rid of?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

WTF is that all about? He needs security of course, but why on earth does he have that many people? and what did the police officers on foot do to be punished like that? Are these the wife beaters that the Met is trying to get rid of?

If I had to guess, it's to have lots of immediately mobile officers around in case a Just Stop Oil or similar protest decided to pop up.

8 hours ago, ml1dch said:

If I had to guess, it's to have lots of immediately mobile officers around in case a Just Stop Oil or similar protest decided to pop up.

I reckon it's a drill for the coronation for either Rishi or some other 'bigger' dignitary or royal who will be in attendance and potential target for protesters (or worse).

Absolutely ridiculous though. 

Someone in the comments added the Benny Hill theme which seems apt.

• Haha 1

Â