The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Back to Sunak then… how many of these did he know about and still have her a top job?

Has he lied / mislead parliament about this? 

There must be some sort of Faustian pact going on as there is no other reason why he would reappoint her when a) she was sacked on a clear offence and b) she is utterly incompetent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

There must be some sort of Faustian pact going on as there is no other reason why he would reappoint her when a) she was sacked on a clear offence and b) she is utterly incompetent.

It seems like the other half of the party are gunning for her at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It could also be that he is utterly incompetent and every bit as bad at all this as the rest of them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It could also be that he is utterly incompetent and every bit as bad at all this as the rest of them. 

Early signs confirm that.

He seems to have learned nothing from those who failed before him.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Early signs confirm that.

He seems to have learned nothing from those who failed before him.

I'm still not sure what people are basing the "sensible candidate, safe pair of hands on the wheel" stuff on. He's been an MP for seven years, had very little to do with politics before that and most of the time he's been in the public eye he's been mired in one scandal or another. 

Where has this narrative come from? 

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'm still not sure what people are basing the "sensible candidate, safe pair of hands on the wheel" stuff on. He's been an MP for seven years, had very little to do with politics before that and most of the time he's been in the public eye he's been mired in one scandal or another. 

Where has this narrative come from? 

He was right Truss was wrong. Literally that

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

He was right Truss was wrong. Literally that

But that same narrative was there over the summer. Vote for the sensible, experienced guy who has a plan to get the country out of the mess (quiet voice: that he was a big part of creating), not the crazy lady.

7 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

But that same narrative was there over the summer. Vote for the sensible, experienced guy who has a plan to get the country out of the mess (quiet voice: that he was a big part of creating), not the crazy lady.

Indeed. The MPs picked Sunak, but then the members picked the madder one, she crashed everything, so they potted her and did "arrangements" to make sure he replaced her.  They think he's safer than her and have been putting out the message. Meanwhile the country remembers him as Furlough man.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Yes, I agree. Tories didn't believe it so much until the Trussterf**k happened, they wanted crazy, until crazy was literally crazy. Suddenly, sensible, experienced was what they wanted, so the already propagated myth was the next to be believed

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Indeed. The MPs picked Sunak, but then the members picked the madder one, she crashed everything, so they potted her and did "arrangements" to make sure he replaced her.  They think he's safer than her and have been putting out the message. Meanwhile the country remembers him as Furlough man.

They voted for the person offering them free money via tax cuts.

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Fair point. I vaguely thought Wallace might be half respectable but then he ruined it by bottling it and then actually wanting Johnson back. So no they are all useless.

• Like 2

There's bad, very bad and less bad. 

Boris was bad in many ways.

Truss was extremely bad in every way. 

Sunak is less bad because he isn't as bad as those two.  He's a bit bad and also comes across as much less bad. 

Therefore Sunak is amazing and better than Starmer and those crazy communists.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

There's bad, very bad and less bad. 

Boris was bad in many ways.

Truss was extremely bad in every way. 

Sunak is less bad because he isn't as bad as those two.  He's a bit bad and also comes across as much less bad. 

Therefore Sunak is amazing and better than Starmer and those crazy communists.

If they’re a Tory…they’re bad, it really is that simple.

• Like 2

I do like how Sunak pointed the finger at Starmer last week and said he was soft on immigration… yet under the “tough on immigration” Tories we have thousands more than ever coming across the channel creating a new crisis.

They don’t know their arses from their elbows.

Starmer would also like to reverse the will of the people (apparently). What if that in turn reduced immigrant numbers coming to the UK? How would that sit with their Brexiteer supporters?

We’re getting to the point now where people can choose between being in the EU or having dark skinned, unskilled, non-English speaking migrants coming to the country in their thousands.

Thats gotta be making some peoples heads hurt.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

We’re getting to the point now where people can choose between being in the EU or having dark skinned, unskilled, non-English speaking migrants coming to the country in their thousands.

Thats gotta be making some peoples heads hurt.

I guarantee they are not thinking in those terms.

The problem as they see it will be that the U.K. is still stuck with respecting the European Court on Human Rights and granting asylum to a huge proportion of these people. Their solution will be to demand the U.K. start ‘getting tough on immigration’ and returning migrants to their country of origin by removing itself from the requirements of that legislation. 

There will also be a side order of ‘France are just doing this to punish us for Brexit’ thrown in for good measure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The problem as they see it will be that the U.K. is still stuck with respecting the European Court on Human Rights and granting asylum to a huge proportion of these people. Their solution will be to demand the U.K. start ‘getting tough on immigration’ and returning migrants to their country of origin by removing itself from the requirements of that legislation. 

There will also be a side order of ‘France are just doing this to punish us for Brexit’ thrown in for good measure. 

Plus what about the Germans? They've been too quiet for too long now!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah, I agree.

I was making the point however we’ll be able to produce data which shows a huge increase in migrants after we left. So if they want to see it reduced then there is a fairly straightforward way.

Also plenty of data i’d assume showing the NHS has gotten a lot worse since we left. 

The economy, also worse post Brexit.

The 3 big ticket items people voted to leave the EU could form a strong data driven argument to return. 

But we know people don’t like experts and data (or being told they made a mistake).

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I agree.

I was making the point however we’ll be able to produce data which shows a huge increase in migrants after we left. So if they want to see it reduced then there is a fairly straightforward way.

Also plenty of data i’d assume showing the NHS has gotten a lot worse since we left. 

The 3 big ticket items people voted to leave the EU could form a strong data driven argument to return. 

But we know people don’t like experts and data (or being told they made a mistake).

I don't think you'll ever change the minds of the true believers; it was not about something tangible that could be proven/disproven with data for a lot of them.  However there was probably a big group who were not too bothered either way back in 2016 who might have formed a stronger view now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I agree.

Some of those effects are not exactly down to  brexit such a the global economy and an increasing ageing society.

But brexit just made it all worse. Like what all those pesky experts said.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â