The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I'm not sure I get the extent of the outrage (not from Peter, but that I'm seeing online) about Hammond being sacked. 

I mean, I guess they could have waited until in the morning or helped him draft a 'dear Prime Minister, thank you for giving me the sack' letter, but rebelling on a three-line whip pretty normally leads to resignations or sackings. And from the government's perspective, this was important even for a three-line whip. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not sure I get the extent of the outrage (not from Peter, but that I'm seeing online) about Hammond being sacked. 

I mean, I guess they could have waited until in the morning or helped him draft a 'dear Prime Minister, thank you for giving me the sack' letter, but rebelling on a three-line whip pretty normally leads to resignations or sackings. And from the government's perspective, this was important even for a three-line whip. 

I think several things contribute to this.

The rebels tried to negotiate concessions, but were rebuffed until the very last moment, when they could probably have been brought onside with a little bit of effort.  The whips were apparently heavy-handed,  for example threatening legal action, which is just daft.  It seems that Brexit supporters can act in an outlandish fashion while others are expected to keep quiet regardless of how badly the process is being handled.  Now the Mail is seeking revenge, and the front page includes a statement that the rebels have betrayed Brexit voters, inyended to inflame sentiment and make people angry; how quickly the lessons of Jo Cox's murder are forgotten.

All this seems to me to be more than the usual way of trying to carry a vote, and it is both unbalanced and hysterical.  I think if people are concerned about the sacking, it's perhaps more about the overall attitude than the specific dismissal.

• Like 2

Get the beers in Jeff!

Persimmon chair resigns over chief executive's 'obscene' £128m bonus

'The chair of Persimmon has resigned over his role in orchestrating a £128m bonus for the housebuilder’s chief executive, Jeff Fairburn, that will begin paying out on New Year’s Eve.

Nicholas Wrigley, the company’s chair and a former banker, said he regretted not capping the bonus scheme and was leaving “in recognition of this omission”.

The Guardian understands that Wrigley had put pressure on Fairburn to donate of some of his bonus to charity, although Persimmon declined to comment.

The bonus scheme – believed to be the most generous ever in the UK – is due to start paying out more than £800m to 150 senior staff on 31 December. The payouts are linked to the company’s stock market performance, which has been massively boosted by the government’s help to buy scheme.

Persimmon’s share price has more than doubled since George Osborne introduced help to buy in 2013. About half of Persimmon homes sold last year were to help to buy recipients, meaning that government money helped finance the sale.

[. . .]

Vince Cable, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, said the “scale of this bonus is obscene” and built on a “government subsidy”.

“It is reminiscent of the worst excesses of corporate greed that helped to create the financial crisis, when short-termism was heavily incentivised and long-term planning ignored,” he said.

“This is a also a perverse situation where a corporate fortune has been built on what is essentially a government subsidy in help to buy. This situation shows just why help to buy is so flawed: it fuels demand rather than supply, putting house prices even further out of reach of young people, while adding zeros to the bank balances of housebuilding executives.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/15/persimmon-chair-resigns-chief-executive-obscene-bonus

• Like 1

I am totally aware that I probably wasted 2 minutes of my life but I emailed the following to my three local Tory councillors earlier. Hopefully gets me off next years Christmas card list :)

Reference the 2018 calendar/card that was put through my letter box today. Please could you ensure that no future correspondence from yourselves or the local Tory party is put through my letter box. I have no interest in receiving anything from yourselves due to the abhorrent policies of the party you represent.

Maybe the money spent on these cards could have been better spent by giving it to charities to help make up for the cuts inflicted by the Tory government resulting in the huge increases in child poverty, homelessness, those in and out of work reliant on food banks, disabled people killing themselves due to the cut or removal of disability benefits, the decimation of adult social care. The list is endless.

I hope you spend the Christmas period reflecting on what the party you represent has done. You should all be hanging your heads in shame.

Regards

• Like 4

Â