The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

When Mrs Thatcher was ousted after 11 years, out of sympathy for her financial situation, Parliament introduced a Public Duties Cost Allowance of roughly £115,000pa for ex-PMs. If Liz Truss resigns after 2 months, she will receive the PDCA "pocket money" for the rest of her life. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Would Sunak even want the PM job anymore?  Surely he knows it’s too far gone to be able to govern for the next 2 years.

Good point. Probably wait out whoever loses the next election then go for it. 

I guess if you manage to turn an inevitable thrashing into a respectable defeat you get to go again though. 

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Would Sunak even want the PM job anymore?  Surely he knows it’s too far gone to be able to govern for the next 2 years.

He has his reasons for wanting it. I doubt those have changed in 6 weeks of catastroTruss.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It's likely the only chance he'll ever have

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Impossible - membership not voting on this. They will be mad as hell and probs turn to Farage's new party

It's the only way the conservatives can stay in power without a general election, he has the mandate given him by the electorate, anyone else and they will have to have a GE within 6 months. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I can’t see it being anyone other than Sunak. By now they know putting nutter after nutter in helps nobody.

Came 2nd in the members vote - members would be happy swapping Truss for their second choice

Most popular among his colleagues - most likely to command a majority

Markets would like it

• Like 1

Just now, tinker said:

It's the only way the conservatives can stay in power without a general election, he has the mandate given him by the electorate, anyone else and they will have to have a GE within 6 months. 

Tory MPs won't do it - 100%

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When Mrs Thatcher was ousted after 11 years, out of sympathy for her financial situation, Parliament introduced a Public Duties Cost Allowance of roughly £115,000pa for ex-PMs. If Liz Truss resigns after 2 months, she will receive the PDCA "pocket money" for the rest of her life. 

possibly why reducing the tax on the high earners was put into the mini-budget?

This would make me laugh as an outsider looking in, but then I remembered that us Swedes voted for a pack of right wing gimps ourselves so I'm just here to share my condolences in solidarity.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The way Pippa Crerar has worded this, it’s not quite clear if Gove has ruled himself out or someone else has done it for him.

Probably written into the new leadership rules by the 1922 committee.

"1. Anyone call Michael Gove cannot be leader."

• Like 1

Well, what a predictable ending to the Truss experiment.

I guess the only marginally surprising thing is that it lasted for 45 days, I didn’t see it fully imploding until after christmas!

I actually think the only Tory who could have been a worse selection than Truss would have been Mad Nad so whilst it’s funny to watch this unfolding it is slightly annoying that they will now put someone (anyone) in place that will be more competent than Truss.

I doubt it will save them at the polls but a few more months of Truss could really have killed the Tories for the next couple of decades, now they have an opportunity to save face a little.

Â