The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

'scuse me wilst I try to stop laughing so I can post this

The Guardian on Sunday

Corrupt word removed whines away about the bigger corrupt words removed who took his money and ran.

I have zero sympathy here but the article contains some fantastic quotes of what he was promised and didn't recieve

Absolutely blatant corruption. As you say though, the promised benefits are kind of amusing:

'Telecoms businessman Mohamed Amersi paid £50,000 for membership of Tory donor club the Leader’s Group in December 2020. But he says he was excluded from the invitation list for high-level events last year, and that officials were instructed not to invite him to the party’s winter ball last November.

He says he also paid £150,000 for auction prizes he never received, including the breakfast with the prime minister, a Japanese meal with Jeremy Hunt and a “magical show” by former defence secretary Penny Mordaunt, who once worked as a magician’s assistant.'

Was this offer of a Japanese meal made when Jeremy Hunt was still confused about his wife's nationality? Is a private magic show with Penny Mordaunt as pervy as it sounds? So many questions.

- - - - - -

In other Tory corruption news, here's MP Bob Blackman - chair of the Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group and recipient of £23,000 worth of gifted travel to Azerbaijan over the last decade or so, boasting about how he received lines from the Azeri embassy during the recent conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh and then turned them into Early Day Motions:

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely blatant corruption. As you say though, the promised benefits are kind of amusing:

'Telecoms businessman Mohamed Amersi paid £50,000 for membership of Tory donor club the Leader’s Group in December 2020. But he says he was excluded from the invitation list for high-level events last year, and that officials were instructed not to invite him to the party’s winter ball last November.

He says he also paid £150,000 for auction prizes he never received, including the breakfast with the prime minister, a Japanese meal with Jeremy Hunt and a “magical show” by former defence secretary Penny Mordaunt, who once worked as a magician’s assistant.'

Was this offer of a Japanese meal made when Jeremy Hunt was still confused about his wife's nationality? Is a private magic show with Penny Mordaunt as pervy as it sounds? So many questions.

- - - - - -

In other Tory corruption news, here's MP Bob Blackman - chair of the Azerbaijan All-Party Parliamentary Group and recipient of £23,000 worth of gifted travel to Azerbaijan over the last decade or so, boasting about how he received lines from the Azeri embassy during the recent conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh and then turned them into Early Day Motions:

There's something missing in their brains.

Donating large sums of money to politicians and then actually expecting a magic show or breakfast must be like asking for a certain type of ice lollies from ice cream vans."what do we do, nobody has actually wanted it instead of the weed before"

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Probably going to regret wading in to this, but here goes:

The actual truth is somewhere between Chris Philp's line here that it was 'correct' on the one hand and the claim that what Johnson said was a 'lie' on the other.

Factually:

a] Keir Starmer was head of the Crown Prosecution Service, in his role of Director of Public Prosecutions;

b] The CPS made a decision not to prosecute Savile in 2009, before his death, having received two accusations;

c] After Savile died, this failure to prosecute was widely criticised;

d] As a result of the criticism, Keir Starmer set up an enquiry into the organisation's decision not to prosecute;

e] The enquiry found that mistakes were made in this decision process, but did not find that Starmer personally had anything to do with the decision;

f] Starmer issued an apology after the enquiry reported, in his role as DPP - *not* a personal apology but an institutional one;

g] Starmer claims to have made some internal reforms as a result of the enquiry to have made a similar decision less likely in the future;

h] The connection between Starmer and Savile has been made before, both by Conservative politicians and on far right websites;

i] Johnson then infamously brought it up in Parliament. It's probably worth mentioning that Johnson was more careful with his words than has been assumed: he accused Starmer of 'failing' to prosecute Savile, not of 'refusing' to prosecute him or 'deciding not to' prosecute him or any other structure that implied an active decision.

Johnson's accusation has been called a smear (which it is) and a libel (which it isn't IMO, and wouldn't be even without Parliamentary privilege). Rather, it is 'technically not untrue but highly misleading and missing lots of relevant context'. It was certainly classless and unnecessary, given it was completely irrelevant to the subject at hand when he said it.

*However*, there is a bit of a double standard at play here. The Labour front bench are not averse to the principle, in other contexts, that the head of an organisation is responsible for the actions that happen in that organisation; certainly they have blamed Johnson for all parties/gatherings etc at number 10, not just those he attended or knew about, through the claim that as PM he is responsible for the 'culture' of number 10 (even though the heavy drinking part of that culture seems to have existed long before his time as PM, as we have learned recently).

41 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I think the main charge against Johnson is not that he attended all the parties, but that he lied to Parliament about there being any parties at all.

I think people are angry at both the parties *and* the cover-up, what proportion of anger is assigned to each I wouldn't know. But I am not saying that the opposition charge is that he 'attended' all the parties but that is 'responsible' for all of them ('the buck stops at the top' etc).

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

However, if you still have any intention of ticking the box next to a Conservative candidate at a future general election then I hereby dub you a **** word removed.

If they didn't learn after Cameron and then May, they aren't going to learn after BoJo, when it's Rishi

In a way, the fact we’re even talking about Saville, is an indication that Johnson’s tactic of deflection is working. He’s a duplicitous piece of shit. Shame on the Tory Party for raising him to such high office, and shame on so many of the electorate for voting to enable him to spread his poison.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've stopped short of labelling everybody that voted for them in 2019 as a **** word removed despite their gloating as a lot of people were fooled.

However, if you still have any intention of ticking the box next to a Conservative candidate at a future general election then I hereby dub you a **** word removed.

Hard to argue with this anymore. 

Â