Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Not sure where to post this or even the relevance of it  but apparently the team travelled down to Spurs by train yesterday  ?

They were picked up by coach at BH and driven to the railway station  then down to London on the train where the team coach met them and took them to the ground...

It was suggested to me it was so the squad weren't all cooped up close to each other as there is some unrest   .. I should add I've no idea if it's true or not  and maybe they did it as it's a lot quicker for the players than potentially having to sit around in traffic , but it does also seem a bit weird.

anyone heard anything ?

Edit - a bit of googling seems to confirm the team did travel down by train .... due to fears about the fog causing bad traffic  ..mystery over

Edited by tonyh29

Forget about the other teams, what we need to stay up statistically.  Here's the average points for the position over the last 10 season

PositionAv Points
15th40.6
16th38.6
17th37.2
18th35.1
19th32.4
20th24.8

Edited by philgetaway

Obviously it is early to do this but it shows there are enough games to get out of this, so let's be positive and support the lads.  The below would get us 17th on average over the past 10 seasons.

Current points4
Tottenham V Aston Villa 0
Aston Villa V Man City 0
Everton V Aston Villa 1
Aston Villa V Watford 3
Southampton V Aston Villa 0
Aston Villa V Arsenal 0
Newcastle V Aston Villa 1
Aston Villa V West Ham 3
Norwich V Aston Villa 0
Sunderland V Aston Villa 3
Aston Villa V Crystal Palace 1
Aston Villa V Leicester 0
West Brom V Aston Villa 1
West Ham V Aston Villa 0
Aston Villa V Norwich 3
Aston Villa V Liverpool 0
Stoke V Aston Villa 1
Aston Villa V Everton 3
Man City V Aston Villa 0
Aston Villa V Tottenham 0
Swansea V Aston Villa 3
Aston Villa V Chelsea 0
Aston Villa V Bournemouth 3
Man Utd V Aston Villa 0
Aston Villa V Southampton 1
Watford V Aston Villa 3
Aston Villa V Newcastle 3
Arsenal V Aston Villa 0
Total37

I would hope it's clear that it is not meant literally, it is a mechanism used to highlight how bad they are in comparison to the rest of the squad and the league as a whole. Obviously they are not bad enough for League Two, in the same way people proclaim x player shouldn't even earn a wage as a footballer or the referee must be blind or we hope they give 110%... 

Sorry, should I just say they're all doing a better job than me so well done to them all? In fact every player today played better than any of the people who write on these boards ever could. Clap, clap, hooray for everybody.

Except Richardson. I'm better than Richardson.

I get it - but your original post opened with "Impossible to keep this squad up, absolutely impossible." Apologies for making this look poster-on-poster, it's nothing personal - you're one of many people who think we're down with no hope after 11 games have been played, but I can't get my head around that kind of dedication to being doomed.

And agreed on Richardson. He shouldn't even earn a wage as a footballer, must be blind and never gives 110%.  

• Like 1

To get relegated we need to maintain relegation form from now until the end of the season. Simply lift it a notch and we will be safe. We aren't playing our best 11 and being found out, we actually have a lot more to give. I do not believe that Garde will do any worse or even equal to Sherwood given the resources he will have at his disposal.

This just isn't true. Our average in recent years has been as close as dammit to a point a game, which has been just about good enough to avoid relegation. It clearly wouldn't be this season. We will have to play considerably better than we have at any point since the end of 2010/11, barring that brief spell under Lambert, and what's more, we'll have to keep that up throughout the season. We don't have the luxury of long runs of losses any more. People are looking at the tale and feeling positive because we're 'only' 4 points away from safety, but that's 2 games. It also doesn't look as bad as it could do because most of our rivals lost last weekend. We play City this weekend - more or less a guaranteed defeat - and we can't simply assume that all of our rivals will lose again. It'll soon be 5,6,7,8 points behind until we start winning, regularly and often. I think our chances are no better than one in three at this point. 

I wasn't sure where to put this, but being as it's entirely relevant to our relegation battle I'll put it here. These threads are more or less "general chat" nowadays!

I have been reading from a few that we need to wake up and smell the coffee, that our squad is shit, that "all the french players" are shit. It has been alluded to, by clowns like Stan Collymore and some on this site, that Sherwood was somehow let down by the fancy modern "moneyball" (ugh) infrastructure we have in place. I genuinely don't agree and believe me, I've been right to the very end of my tether with everyone involved with the club over these last few years.  

I look at players like Ayew, Gil, Grealish, Richards, Amavi, Gana and to a lesser extent Sinclair, Hutton, Sanchez, Westwood and Bacuna with peripheral potential talent such as Adama and Veretout and I think no, bollocks, there's a decent group of players in there. Yes they are deficient in certain areas, you may notice the lack of a bonafide center forward and my faith in Guzan cannot get any lower, but there is a solid foundation to build on. There has to be, frankly, because I have watched those players very carefully over the last three months (years in some cases) and all of them to a man have impressed at one time or another. 

What they have lacked is leadership, consistency, any kind of framework in which to build on their own individual abilities. They have no ethos, no structure, they are completely and utterly rudderless. So until they have that, until they are a TEAM, I am backing them 100% to pull themselves out of this. If they don't, well, you can stick your humble pie up your arse because we are all going down with the ship. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

To get relegated we need to maintain relegation form from now until the end of the season. Simply lift it a notch and we will be safe. We aren't playing our best 11 and being found out, we actually have a lot more to give. I do not believe that Garde will do any worse or even equal to Sherwood given the resources he will have at his disposal.

This just isn't true. Our average in recent years has been as close as dammit to a point a game, which has been just about good enough to avoid relegation. It clearly wouldn't be this season. We will have to play considerably better than we have at any point since the end of 2010/11, barring that brief spell under Lambert, and what's more, we'll have to keep that up throughout the season. We don't have the luxury of long runs of losses any more. People are looking at the tale and feeling positive because we're 'only' 4 points away from safety, but that's 2 games. It also doesn't look as bad as it could do because most of our rivals lost last weekend. We play City this weekend - more or less a guaranteed defeat - and we can't simply assume that all of our rivals will lose again. It'll soon be 5,6,7,8 points behind until we start winning, regularly and often. I think our chances are no better than one in three at this point. 

I think others have put it better than me. Relegation form is averaging a point a game, would see us in the low thirties, notch a couple of wins/draws on top of that and we will get to safety. Though I agree, won't be fun to watch mind.

I think others have put it better than me. Relegation form is averaging a point a game, would see us in the low thirties, notch a couple of wins/draws on top of that and we will get to safety. Though I agree, won't be fun to watch mind.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because clearly it isn't, but I do think it's more unlikely than many on here want to accept. Take a look at philgetaway's projection of the remainder of the season above, which is about as realistic as any picture of us reaching safety could be. Notice how we never go more than 5 games without a win, and mostly win within each group of 3. That is a major, major turnaround in form. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, because clearly it isn't, but I do think it's more unlikely than many on here want to accept. Take a look at philgetaway's projection of the remainder of the season above, which is about as realistic as any picture of us reaching safety could be. Notice how we never go more than 5 games without a win, and mostly win within each group of 3. That is a major, major turnaround in form. 

I think everybody accepts we need a major, major turnaround in form. 

I just don't think we've got the ability to score enough and stop them going in for us to get those points. I'm sure we'll have moments and a couple of spells but ultimately our recruitment policy has left us very short in key areas. 

• Like 1

Okay, sure. A question, if you're willing to humour me - what chance would you give us of achieving that? As I said above, I wouldn't give us more than one in three. 

Okay, sure. A question, if you're willing to humour me - what chance would you give us of achieving that? As I said above, I wouldn't give us more than one in three. 

Excuse the huge quote tree folks, it is now impossible to trim down. 

Honest answer? I don't know if I can put a number on it right now but as a gambling man I think those 2/1 odds are about fair as things stand. I fancy a piece of it actually, but I don't think it's outrageous. 

It all hinges on the manager, we will know much,much more in 3/4 games time. 

Â