Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

The ones doing the rounds on Twitter about going for a drink I don't believe to be true but **** him, if neutrals and journos want to believe those comments and pound him in to the ground on them then in my head he deserves that treatment anyway

34 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

As a mental health worker I'm astonished that people still bring up what Stan did all those years ago. We all have moments in our life we wish we could erase. Those in glass houses.... Depression + alcohol is a horrible thing, I hope those lambasting Stan over the ulrika incident never go through it. 

I have a lot of time for Stan, I hold him up there with Ian Taylor in terms of their opinion of villa. The radio/TV 'ego Stan' who has to keep his job and sell books & whatnot talks utter **** but the real Stan repeatedly says he regrets his time at villa, again, depression + drink is a toxic combo. It kind of explains everything. 

He realises all this about the past and now he has a platform and good links he is trying his best to sort out what he can. 

At least he is doing something, which is more than the sinless holier than thou 'woman beater' commenters are doing to help. 

Keep it up Stan. You can be an egotistic self serving pillock at times (helps keep his job) but aren't we all now and again. 

You have my support.

Joleon, go **** yourself.

Don't be silly. You're not allowed to be depressed if you're a celebrity! 

On a serious note it was his lack of effort that used to rile me. I remember once a fan shouted Stan you fat bastard. He looked up and smiled and continued to strut around the pitch. I don't know much about the personal issues he had at the time but if they were as serious as stated then he shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad let alone the first team.

Also how do we know Lescott doesn't have personal issues? As a mental health worker you should know full well people could have problems that they hide from the world but impacts how they act?

Anyway that was all a long time ago. its always good to have a fan that is a well known radio broadcaster.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

How?

He answered the question after saying the players knew they were good as relegated. It was the wrong choice of words but straight after he said the fans deserve good performance etc.

seems like people are looking for more reasons to have a dig when there are already enough based on his performances. 

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

I'd argue that lescott isn't either. none of us on here would be getting on like this berk has this season. 

As a fan, playing for villa should be a privilege. Nothing he's done , has in any way shown that he has one iota of love for the club.

The way he used to celebrate in front of the Holte whenever he scored for Everton against us tells me that there's no way this bloke is a Villa fan, it's all BS.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don't be silly. You're not allowed to be depressed if you're a celebrity! 

On a serious note it was his lack of effort that used to rile me. I remember once a fan shouted Stan you fat bastard. He looked up and smiled and continued to strut around the pitch. I don't know much about the personal issues he had at the time but if they were as serious as stated then he shouldn't have been anywhere near the squad let alone the first team.

Also how do we know Lescott doesn't have personal issues? As a mental health worker you should know full well people could have problems that they hide from the world but impacts how they act?

Anyway that was all a long time ago. its always good to have a fan that is a well known radio broadcaster.

I get what you are saying but back then there wasn't the mentality at clubs to look after players mentally/emotionally. Even 15 years ago the attitude in the game was very much as it was 50 years ago, "just snap out of it" etc....

These days you get psychological exams, support, counselling etc... 

Lescott could have issues who knows, until such a time as this is confirmed we can only react to the evidence available, namely, that Joleon is a word removed and should be treated as such. 

You cant use the tactic of 'they could be mentally unwell' to excuse literally everyone on the planet from doing or saying shitty things :)

48 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

As a mental health worker I'm astonished that people still bring up what Stan did all those years ago. We all have moments in our life we wish we could erase. Those in glass houses.... Depression + alcohol is a horrible thing, I hope those lambasting Stan over the ulrika incident never go through it. 

I have a lot of time for Stan, I hold him up there with Ian Taylor in terms of their opinion of villa. The radio/TV 'ego Stan' who has to keep his job and sell books & whatnot talks utter **** but the real Stan repeatedly says he regrets his time at villa, again, depression + drink is a toxic combo. It kind of explains everything. 

He realises all this about the past and now he has a platform and good links he is trying his best to sort out what he can. 

At least he is doing something, which is more than the sinless holier than thou 'woman beater' commenters are doing to help. 

Keep it up Stan. You can be an egotistic self serving pillock at times (helps keep his job) but aren't we all now and again. 

You have my support.

Joleon, go **** yourself.

Since your post has proven so fantastically popular, I shall have to cede the argument, I'm clearly not going to persuade people. 

I simply say 'I don't agree' and leave it there.

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I get what you are saying but back then there wasn't the mentality at clubs to look after players mentally/emotionally. Even 15 years ago the attitude in the game was very much as it was 50 years ago, "just snap out of it" etc....

Lescott could have issues who knows, until such a time as this is confirmed we can only react to the evidence available, namely, that Joleon is a word removed and should be treated as such. 

You cant use the tactic of 'they could be mentally unwell' to excuse literally everyone on the planet from doing or saying shitty things :)

You're last paragraph was my point. It will not always become public that somebody had mental health issues either. So if in a few years it all comes out that Lescott suffered from depression does that mean all is forgiven? I doubt that very much. 

So point is Lescott is a tosser and Collymore was also a tosser until was proven otherwise :)

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Lescott could have issues who knows, until such a time as this is confirmed we can only react to the evidence available, namely, that Joleon is a word removed and should be treated as such

So we should treat someone with vitriol if he or she doesn't show signs of being a depressive, even though he or she might be one?

Shouldn't we be more circumspect? Slower to jump the gun and judge, perhaps?

Edited by legov

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Since your post has proven so fantastically popular, I shall have to cede the argument, I'm clearly not going to persuade people. 

I simply say 'I don't agree' and leave it there.

It's not about popularity or likes, it's about separating what Stan feels he has to do publicity wise to keep his job, status and platform and what he actually thinks/believes in his heart/head.

Its also about not judging him based on what he did when he was mentally unwell and used alcohol as a coping mechanism (it makes it worse not better), he shouldn't be excused from what he did and he must live with it daily but I don't judge him because of it.

Its about separating the egotistical fluff he says to rile up callers enough to ring in (thus keeping him in a well paid job) and the stuff he truly believes. It's actually not that difficult when you listen to him, the distinction is quite clear.

I also should say, my post wasn't aimed at you mate, we've never had problems before and I've always agreed with a lot you've said but I know the last few days our posts have clashed  a little and it may look that way but I was speaking in general so don't think I was targeting you, there's no malice from me  :thumb: :) 

33 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

I'm thankful as Stan is giving us a voice and shining a light on these players who have strolled this great institution into the dark. Anyway here is another view on Lescotts comments from Craig Burley on ESPN. Same as Stan I totally agree and thanks for saying what I am feeling. They deserve all the heat.....

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=intl:2852302

Fair play to Burley, He has just ripped le$cott a brand new arsehole!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, legov said:

So we should treat someone with vitriol if he or she doesn't show signs of being a depressive, even though he or she might be one?

Shouldn't we be more circumspect? Slower to jump the gun and judge, perhaps?

It's more that Stan didn't perform then left.

Where as Joleon hasn't performed, has run his mouth, took the piss, offered fans out to fight, tweeted pictures of cars and has been an entitled yet disruptive influence and a major factor in villas demise but fails to understand it.

There is a distinct difference. I don't believe Lescott has any diagnosis, if he has then the club should or will be helping him. 

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It's not about popularity or likes, it's about separating what Stan feels he has to do publicity wise to keep his job, status and platform and what he actually thinks/believes in his heart/head.

Its also about not judging him based on what he did when he was mentally unwell and used alcohol as a coping mechanism (it makes it worse not better), he shouldn't be excused from what he did and he must live with it daily but I don't judge him because of it.

Its about separating the egotistical fluff he says to rile up callers enough to ring in (thus keeping him in a well paid job) and the stuff he truly believes. It's actually not that difficult when you listen to him, the distinction is quite clear.

I also should say, my post wasn't aimed at you mate, we've never had problems before and I've always agreed with a lot you've said but I know the last few days our posts have clashed  a little and it may look that way but I was speaking in general so don't think I was targeting you, there's no malice from me  :thumb: :) 

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to make it look personal! 

I haven't come across much in the way of contrition from him personally, but then to be fair I don't really ever listen to him so you're probably a better judge than me. 

I do tend to react against depression being an excuse for domestic violence, but your post makes clear that wasn't what you were doing, so sorry for misinterpreting you :thumb:

Collymore's tirade, mainly against Lescott. Well worth a listen...

http://talksport.com/football/youre-disgrace-call-me-stan-collymore-rants-aston-villa-stars-talksport-160416192319

Stan Collymore took to the airwaves on Saturday evening to vent his frustrations with Aston Villa, following the confirmation of their relegation to the Championship.

Another shocking performance resulted in another loss, this time against Manchester United, and the problems were made all the worse when Joleon Lescott came out after the game admitting it was a relief to be relegated.

The centre-back said: “Now it’s confirmed maybe it’s a weight off the shoulders and we can give these fans what they deserve, some performances.”

Collymore, a lifelong Villa fan, was having none of Lescott's attitude.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Collymore is a scumbag though, would rather a more respectable voice in the media 

He had a mental illness when at Villa and that obviously effected him in her personal life as well. He doesn't claim to be a saint but he's bang on the money what he says about the club and the players now

• Like 1

Just to play Devils advocate a little (and I can't stand Lescott as much as the next man), I do think he meant well with his comments. It was a massively stupid thing to say, yes. What he should have said was "I'm wholeheartedly sorry for my absolutely shite performances this season, I've let myself, the club and the hardworking Villa fans that pay my exorbitant wages down. I've got no excuses and I'm ashamed to have played apart in relegating this great club".

But this man isn't known for his brains. His comments were a fumbled attempt of displaying the pressure he's felt this season, the players haven't coped with it at all. They're mentally weak. We've seen this in games when the games lost they come to life and show some fight. They're better without pressure. His comments were very poorly thought out but I don't think they were intentionally said just to insult us. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Just to play Devils advocate a little (and I can't stand Lescott as much as the next man), I do think he meant well with his comments. It was a massively stupid thing to say, yes. What he should have said was "I'm wholeheartedly sorry for my absolutely shite performances this season, I've let myself, the club and the hardworking Villa fans that pay my exorbitant wages down. I've got no excuses and I'm ashamed to have played apart in relegating this great club".

But this man isn't known for his brains. His comments were a fumbled attempt of displaying the pressure he's felt this season, the players haven't coped with it at all. They're mentally weak. We've seen this in games when the games lost they come to life and show some fight. They're better without pressure. His comments were very poorly thought out but I don't think they were intentionally said just to insult us. 

lol,

you defo need to tweet jolly and ask him if he wants a spin doctor to prepare his speeches. your not Alistair Campbell are you?

Â